The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is Mayorga/Cotto being frowned upon by boxing fans?

+5
dbudge
jz_hova
kbyte
GrantZilla
Shaun
9 posters

Go down

Why is Mayorga/Cotto being frowned upon by boxing fans? Empty Why is Mayorga/Cotto being frowned upon by boxing fans?

Post  Shaun Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:44 am

One thing that I really appreciate about Boxing fans is that we hold our sport to a very high standard when it comes to match making. The Mayorga vs. Cotto match is another fight that is being frowned upon by many boxing fans. My opinion seems to be in the minority about this being a good fight.

1) Mayorga makes any fight entertaining.

2) This is a good fight to see if Cotto still has it or not. His fight vs. Yuri Foreman really didn't answer that question for me.

3) It is stated that if Cotto wins this fight he will be looking to fight Margarito in a rematch from the 2007 FOTY and then eventually Martinez.

If any fight should be frowned upon, it's Morales vs. Maidana. That is very one sided.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Why is Mayorga/Cotto being frowned upon by boxing fans? Empty Re: Why is Mayorga/Cotto being frowned upon by boxing fans?

Post  GrantZilla Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:31 am

Once again, if it wasn't a PPV fight, nobody would be frowning on it. But just like Manny-Mosley fight, both fights have no business being on PPV.

In fact, I'd say boxing fans standards are not high enough when comes to PPVs. They accept bullshit main even match-ups, and total garbage undercards. And for out 50 bucks PPV, plus service fees, plus more for HD.

I'd love to watch this fight on my TV on regular Showtime. Instead going to have to go find some online stream, because I refuse to pay for this kind of shit.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Why is Mayorga/Cotto being frowned upon by boxing fans? Empty Re: Why is Mayorga/Cotto being frowned upon by boxing fans?

Post  kbyte Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:27 am

I actually think this is a good fight and if Mayorga has anything left then I give him a very good chance of winning. If this was the Mayorga that fought Forrest, Oscar, Tito and Mosley then I'd pick him without a second thought.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  jz_hova Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:36 am

shdavistx wrote:One thing that I really appreciate about Boxing fans is that we hold our sport to a very high standard when it comes to match making. The Mayorga vs. Cotto match is another fight that is being frowned upon by many boxing fans. My opinion seems to be in the minority about this being a good fight.

1) Mayorga makes any fight entertaining.

2) This is a good fight to see if Cotto still has it or not. His fight vs. Yuri Foreman really didn't answer that question for me.

3) It is stated that if Cotto wins this fight he will be looking to fight Margarito in a rematch from the 2007 FOTY and then eventually Martinez.

If any fight should be frowned upon, it's Morales vs. Maidana. That is very one sided.

Mayorga has shown time and time agian in big fights that he refuses to get in the proper training and focus to win. At 147 Mayorga was a respectable fighter but has done nothing since then but beat a less focused and less trained Vargas. I think that Cotto tears mayorga body apart if Cotto can prevent from getting hit by one of those wild punches.
jz_hova
jz_hova

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:17 am

I just feel there are far more interesting fights for Cotto to be in, ones with active fighters who didn't try to enter MMA.

Cotto vs Berto needs to be made.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:46 am

are you kidding me? this fight is a joke. Cotto had a joke rebound fight against Foreman in a massive stadium. now he's got another PPV ride against a guy that's last action in a boxing ring was against a guy who was 1-5 in his last 6 outings, and he fought that 10lbs above what he has to make for Cotto. Mayorga is 3-3 in his last 6 including 3 KO defeats. it was 2 and a half years ago now when he last fought a legitimate guy and he ended that fight flat out on his back. Mayorga is 37 years old. This fight shouldn't be happening at all let alone on PPV. there are plenty of more credible guys at 154lb - Alvarez, Cintron, Angulo, Rhodes, Martirosyan, even Cornelius Bundrage. he could have even fought Berto, Williams, Sturm even Margarito again etc. there are plenty of better candidates for the job, but looks like those managing Cotto are happy to ride alond the PR cash express for as long as they can. people seem to be forgetting that 2 fights ago we were talking about this guy being a serious threat to the P4P king Manny Pacquiao. after the Manny fight he got his easy ride back to a title against Yuri Foreman, who Arum clearly used for that purpose only. now it's time to show his credentials as an elite level fighter...... instead we get Mayorga. If Cotto can't get rid of Mayorga in under 8 then i don't see him beating any of those above mentioned

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:31 pm

dbudge wrote:are you kidding me? this fight is a joke. Cotto had a joke rebound fight against Foreman in a massive stadium. now he's got another PPV ride against a guy that's last action in a boxing ring was against a guy who was 1-5 in his last 6 outings, and he fought that 10lbs above what he has to make for Cotto. Mayorga is 3-3 in his last 6 including 3 KO defeats. it was 2 and a half years ago now when he last fought a legitimate guy and he ended that fight flat out on his back. Mayorga is 37 years old. This fight shouldn't be happening at all let alone on PPV. there are plenty of more credible guys at 154lb - Alvarez, Cintron, Angulo, Rhodes, Martirosyan, even Cornelius Bundrage. he could have even fought Berto, Williams, Sturm even Margarito again etc. there are plenty of better candidates for the job, but looks like those managing Cotto are happy to ride alond the PR cash express for as long as they can. people seem to be forgetting that 2 fights ago we were talking about this guy being a serious threat to the P4P king Manny Pacquiao. after the Manny fight he got his easy ride back to a title against Yuri Foreman, who Arum clearly used for that purpose only. now it's time to show his credentials as an elite level fighter...... instead we get Mayorga. If Cotto can't get rid of Mayorga in under 8 then i don't see him beating any of those above mentioned
...i agree with this.the fights a bummer without merit..ppv please..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:33 pm

My understanding was Showtime were using this PPV as a test run to iron out all the kinks before Manny vs Mosley.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:51 pm

Mayorga is not a world class fighter. His fights against the late "Vernon Forrest" were both flukes. However, Cotto doesn't need anymore hard fights. I think Miguel is one fighter that needs to take it easy and fight people who he can easily outclass. Of course, this "bum of the month" philosophy tends to spell disaster 9 out of 10 times. I personally think Cotto should retire before he gets a surprise. That said, the surprise will not come from a bum like Mayorga.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:32 pm

don't call a fight against Foreman a joke. While I am not a big Yuri Boreman fan(in fact most of his fights are about as exciting as watching paint dry), he was legitimately ranked in the top 10 by ring and others (espn, etc..).

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:38 pm

Ali wrote:My understanding was Showtime were using this PPV as a test run to iron out all the kinks before Manny vs Mosley.

+1

And HBO turned down Cotto vs Vanes

It will be an entertaining fight, Im not buying the PPV, people who do probably get a good night of fights
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:01 pm

Because there are inactive live bodies in that division that Cotto is not fighting.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:57 pm

I hope Mayorga wins. Hes the man.

kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down