The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carlos Palomino: The Best I Faced

3 posters

Go down

Carlos Palomino: The Best I Faced Empty Carlos Palomino: The Best I Faced

Post  Guest Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:09 pm

Best overall: “It has to be Roberto Duran. I always had the idea that he was just a brawler. What surprised me was that the guy could really box –- going in and out, the feints, it was just a surprise to me. It impressed me how quick his shots were and how much power he had. And his movement surprised me.”

Best boxer: “It would have to be Andy Price. I fought him when I was like (10-0-1) and he was like (12-1-3). I lost a split decision to him (in 1974). He was very much like Sugar Ray Leonard, very quick. I think from a boxing standpoint he was the best I faced. He was also a good puncher. You had to worry about that. He later beat Pipino Cuevas.” Leonard stopped Price (33-8-3, 13 KOs) in the first round in 1979.

Hardest puncher: I fought this guy in the amateurs, Norman Goins from Minnesota. He did pretty well as a pro. He was a tremendous puncher. I fought him the finals of the Pan American (Games) trials and was knocked down three times, once in each round. I still won the fight -- it was the amateurs -– but I got dropped three times. I’ll never forget that.”

Fastest hands:
“It would be a tie between Benitez and Price. Wilfredo was just so cagey. He could hit you from different angels and very quickly, especially his jab. Most of the punches he landed against me were jabs.”

Fastest feet: “Duran. Watch him in his prime, with Ray Leonard or my fight with him. Watch him as a lightweight. He had the ability to move in and out so quickly. I’ve said that Manny Pacquiao reminds me a lot of Duran.”

Best jab: Benitez. It was a very quick, snapping jab, a lot like (Muhammad) Ali’s jab.”

Best chin:
Armando Muniz. You could hit him with a ring poll and nothing would happen. [Laughs.] I nailed him all night long and hurt him. He had a chin.”

Smartest: Benitez or Duran. Maybe Benitez was natural boxer. It was almost like he had a sixth sense. I don’t think I caught him solid in my fight with him. It seemed like he knew what was coming all the time.”

Strongest: Muniz. He would just walk in, walk you down. He was a wrestler in high school so his head was attached to his shoulders. He had no neck. He was that kind of guy. Strong.”

Best defense: I would say Benitez and Duran (tie) again. As I said, it was like Benitez had a sixth sense, like he knew what was coming. Duran was hard to catch also. I was trying to counter what he was doing but I couldn’t because of his quickness. They were both good defensive fighters.

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/2714/carlos_palomino_the_best_i_faced/

Back to top Go down

Carlos Palomino: The Best I Faced Empty Re: Carlos Palomino: The Best I Faced

Post  Guest Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:09 am

Thanks. I LOVE stuff like this.

I love when folks say they thought Duran was a brawler...right up until they fought him!

It really says something about that era that a fighter as good as Carlos Palomino was probably the 5th best welter.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:19 am

I love that Palomino is candid. I think that's why guys who've taken some losses or struggled some over their career make better interviews, announcers, trainers, etc. They just have a more objective view of things. I wish they would've gone more in depth, and also wish that former opponents get brought into the discussion more when talking about great fighters. They have so much more insight because they were in the ring with them.

A little off topic, but I think a good reason RJJ has improved as an announcer is because his ego got chopped down a bit.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:01 pm

The interviewer also said Carlos was still in tremendous shape for 61, Carlos said he's been addicted to running marathons since he retired.

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:02 pm

Ali wrote:Best overall: “It has to be Roberto Duran. I always had the idea that he was just a brawler. What surprised me was that the guy could really box –- going in and out, the feints, it was just a surprise to me. It impressed me how quick his shots were and how much power he had. And his movement surprised me.”

Best boxer: “It would have to be Andy Price. I fought him when I was like (10-0-1) and he was like (12-1-3). I lost a split decision to him (in 1974). He was very much like Sugar Ray Leonard, very quick. I think from a boxing standpoint he was the best I faced. He was also a good puncher. You had to worry about that. He later beat Pipino Cuevas.” Leonard stopped Price (33-8-3, 13 KOs) in the first round in 1979.

Hardest puncher: I fought this guy in the amateurs, Norman Goins from Minnesota. He did pretty well as a pro. He was a tremendous puncher. I fought him the finals of the Pan American (Games) trials and was knocked down three times, once in each round. I still won the fight -- it was the amateurs -– but I got dropped three times. I’ll never forget that.”

Fastest hands:
“It would be a tie between Benitez and Price. Wilfredo was just so cagey. He could hit you from different angels and very quickly, especially his jab. Most of the punches he landed against me were jabs.”

Fastest feet: “Duran. Watch him in his prime, with Ray Leonard or my fight with him. Watch him as a lightweight. He had the ability to move in and out so quickly. I’ve said that Manny Pacquiao reminds me a lot of Duran.”

Best jab: Benitez. It was a very quick, snapping jab, a lot like (Muhammad) Ali’s jab.”

Best chin:
Armando Muniz. You could hit him with a ring poll and nothing would happen. [Laughs.] I nailed him all night long and hurt him. He had a chin.”

Smartest: Benitez or Duran. Maybe Benitez was natural boxer. It was almost like he had a sixth sense. I don’t think I caught him solid in my fight with him. It seemed like he knew what was coming all the time.”

Strongest: Muniz. He would just walk in, walk you down. He was a wrestler in high school so his head was attached to his shoulders. He had no neck. He was that kind of guy. Strong.”

Best defense: I would say Benitez and Duran (tie) again. As I said, it was like Benitez had a sixth sense, like he knew what was coming. Duran was hard to catch also. I was trying to counter what he was doing but I couldn’t because of his quickness. They were both good defensive fighters.

[url=http://www.ringtv.com/blog/2714/carlos_palomino_the_best_i_faced/
http://www.ringtv.com/blog/2714/carlos_palomino_the_best_i_faced/[/quote[/url]]

Loved this post. I wish more fighters would do this. I love to get their perspective on the guys they fought after they have called it a career and dont have any ulterior motives to make a less than true statement.

(I have heard Foreman say that Lyle, Holyfield, Frazier, and Cooney ALL hit him harder than anyone ever did). SO which one was it?!

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:35 pm

boxinglawyer wrote:
Ali wrote:Best overall: “It has to be Roberto Duran. I always had the idea that he was just a brawler. What surprised me was that the guy could really box –- going in and out, the feints, it was just a surprise to me. It impressed me how quick his shots were and how much power he had. And his movement surprised me.”

Fastest hands:

Best chin:

[url=http://www.ringtv.com/blog/2714/carlos_palomino_the_best_i_faced/
http://www.ringtv.com/blog/2714/carlos_palomino_the_best_i_faced/[/quote[/url]]

Loved this post. I wish more fighters would do this. I love to get their perspective on the guys they fought after they have called it a career and dont have any ulterior motives to make a less than true statement.

(I have heard Foreman say that Lyle, Holyfield, Frazier, and Cooney ALL hit him harder than anyone ever did). SO which one was it?!

thank Ring. They have been doing this kind of thing with fighters over the last 6 months.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:38 pm

I am trying to remember who Ring previously done this with.

Oscar, Morales .......

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:02 pm

Ali wrote:I am trying to remember who Ring previously done this with.

Oscar, Morales .......

did they do it with James Toney? Maybe I'm losing my mind.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:03 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Ali wrote:I am trying to remember who Ring previously done this with.

Oscar, Morales .......

did they do it with James Toney? Maybe I'm losing my mind.

I honestly can't remember, I doubt it cause I am sure Toney would have said something outrageous that we'd all remember.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down