The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best I've faced: Mike McCallum

4 posters

Go down

The best I've faced: Mike McCallum Empty The best I've faced: Mike McCallum

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Best overall: James Toney -- He wasn’t a complete fighter the first time we fought, and I still believe I won that fight. But he learned in that fight and he got better. He grew with each fight. By our third fight, he was a different fighter, a complete fighter. He was someone who could do it all, fight inside or outside, work offense and defense at the same time, just like me when I was younger. I like to think that I helped James mature as a fighter.

Best boxer: Herol Graham
-- He was a pure boxer, a southpaw and very elusive. It wasn’t easy to hit him. He was very smart, very skilled.

Best puncher: Julian Jackson -- He hit me so hard! Julian wasn’t just powerful, he was also real quick. I got caught by a right hand in the first round of our fight and I remember thinking “What’s wrong with my legs?” I tried my best to hide it from him. I knew I had to take him out as soon as I could.

Best defense: Sumbu Kalambay -- I fought many good defensive fighters. Toney had a good defense. Graham was slippery. Jones was fast and slick, but Kalambay is No. 1. I can’t forget about him. He’s the first fighter to beat me and it’s because of his good movement. He was always sliding side to side, very shifty. He was a dangerous boy.

Fastest hands: Jackson -- He was quick, man. That’s why he got so many knockouts. Everyone focused on his power and then he’d get you with a punch you didn’t see. They landed on you -- boom! -- from out of nowhere. Kalambay and Toney were also fast. So was Jones, obviously, but I fought him when I was older and had slowed down a bit.

Fastest feet: Roy Jones -- He had very quick feet. He was elusive just because of his footwork.

Best chin: Steve Collins -- I almost said Toney, but Collins had the best chin. I hit him right on his chin all night and he wouldn‘t budge. I couldn’t hit Toney that much and when I did, he backed off. Collins walked through punches.

Best jab: Donald Curry
-- I fought many fighters with good jabs. Kalambay could win fights with just his jab. McCrory had a good, hard jab. But Curry’s was the best. I see why they called him “the Cobra” because he didn’t miss with it. He was a bad man with that jab.

Strongest: Michael Watson -- Oh my God, he was so strong. That’s why that fight was so hard. It was a gruesome fight, 11 rounds of back-and-forth hell.

Smartest: Roy Jones Jr. -- I fought quite a few smart boys in my time. Graham was a cunning S.O.B. I remember him sticking his tongue out at me whenever I’d miss a punch. Kalambay was smart and so was Toney, although he didn’t have the experience to back it up when we first fought. But I think Roy may have been the smartest. He was very clever, which didn’t surprise me. I knew he was sharp. It was like he was always one step ahead of me.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/168053-best-ive-faced-mike-mccallum

Back to top Go down

The best I've faced: Mike McCallum Empty Re: The best I've faced: Mike McCallum

Post  captainanddew Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:05 pm

great stuff. He faced very good opposition during his time in the ring.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:37 pm

This is good stuff, Ali. Where'd ya get this from?

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:40 pm

freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Frank wrote:This is good stuff, Ali. Where'd ya get this from?

Ring's website.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:52 pm

McCallum has a pretty good read on everyone. I'm going to have to go back and watch some of those fights now.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down