The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite angry moments

+3
gomez1012
hardcorebee24
Frank
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Favorite angry moments Empty Favorite angry moments

Post  Frank Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:10 am

All boxers have mean streaks. This is something I had to understand to keep from judging boxers on the same barometer as the rest of us. Example. Sugar Ray Leonard, who seems like a really nice guy, fights a mock fight on a cruise ship against an overmatched fan and knocks him out of the ring with a body shot. The crowd "ooooohhs and aahhhhh's" in disbelief. However, most of the time, these revealing moments are slightly more light hearted and funnier than Ray's "Oceanography body shot."

My favorite angry guy is Larry Holmes. Likable, friendly and very intelligent (Hell, he owns a whole town.), Holmes has had some less than flattering moments that bordered on hilarious.

1. Jumping from a car and onto Trevor Berbick in public.
2. Larry Holmes to a reporter. "Did I hurt you feelings? (Larry takes a pause. His next statement is spoken slowly with emphasis on every word.) So - fucking - what?"
3. Following his 3rd round KO over Leon Spinks, Holmes rushes at a non confrontational "Gerry Cooney" and slaps him in the face while stating, "Gerry, if you come over here, we're going to fight right now."

Any other stories from board members will be appreciated.

Last edited by Frank on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

Frank

Back to top Go down

Favorite angry moments Empty Re: Favorite angry moments

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:36 am

Mike Tyson, that's it. There is too much to write about.

Carlos Monzon throwing his wife off of a balcony to her death.

Riddick Bowe giving Larry Donald a two piece and biscuit at the press conference.

Vito Antuofermo landing what would be called his best punch: While working as a commentator during the Hagler Minter fight in London Vito lands a perfect right cross on a skinhead who made the mistake of hitting him over the head with a bottle during the melee after the fight.

Carmen Basilio feeling two inches tall after being snubbed by Ray Robinson in the street only to take it out on him in the ring.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:49 pm

Mayorga trashing Vargas and Oscar

Hopkins throwing the PR flag down

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:56 pm

Kevin Kelly vs Prince Naseem Hamed at MSG, Kelly was getting so jarred by Naz taking so long, he was throwing his toys out the pram big time.

Lennox Lewis vs Evander Holyfield - the aftermath in Lewis' changing room. Frank Maloney blurts out "fucking Stevie Wonder said he won". fucking classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5953iPbkjc around the 4:40 mark, makes me smile anyway

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:02 pm

Speaking of Hamed

@ 1:08

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:09 pm

mike tyson had several classic one including cursing and chalengeing a reporter..holmes and the car thing is a all time classic....and then theres crazy mitch green.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:14 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Speaking of Hamed

yeh Hamed got clowned in that fight. but to be fair, after Hamed left Ingle his commitment levels to the sport had completely dropped. he relied on his big punch. even Emmanuel Steward admitted this before the Barrera fight and it was well documented in the British press. i'm not trying to discredit Barrera's win but it's not like he beat the best Prince Naseem Hamed that he could have faced

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:24 pm

dbudge wrote:
yeh Hamed got clowned in that fight. but to be fair, after Hamed left Ingle his commitment levels to the sport had completely dropped. he relied on his big punch. even Emmanuel Steward admitted this before the Barrera fight and it was well documented in the British press. i'm not trying to discredit Barrera's win but it's not like he beat the best Prince Naseem Hamed that he could have faced

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:54 pm

dbudge wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:Speaking of Hamed

Same ol' song & dance....
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:05 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
dbudge wrote:

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

trust me on this one Gomez. i hate excuses too but it was so well documented. it's all Manny Steward went on about. it's not like was the first big event that Naz was on, he wasn't the same hungry fighter. that is what makes long reigning Champions so special, the ability to stay motivated even when at the top

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:14 pm

Carlos Monzon has been mentioned.

How about Bummy Davis so comprehensively losing his crap after Fritzie Zivic thumbed him that in a single round he threw 30 low blows and was DQ'd. He then kicked Billy Cavanaugh the ref and charged back at Zivic.

Roberto Duran punched Hector Thompson's Mother in the face after she came at him in the ring while he was being interviewed.

Carmen Basilio too on about six Utah State Troopers after his fight with Gene Fulmer was stopped. Carmen was NOT happy.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:15 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:Carlos Monzon has been mentioned.

How about Bummy Davis so comprehensively losing his crap after Fritzie Zivic thumbed him that in a single round he threw 30 low blows and was DQ'd. He then kicked Billy Cavanaugh the ref and charged back at Zivic.

Roberto Duran punched Hector Thompson's Mother in the face after she came at him in the ring while he was being interviewed.

Carmen Basilio too on about six Utah State Troopers after his fight with Gene Fulmer was stopped. Carmen was NOT happy.

Hahahahaha I remember reading about that, Manos De Piedra was a fool!
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:16 pm

dbudge wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
dbudge wrote:

trust me on this one Gomez. i hate excuses too but it was so well documented. it's all Manny Steward went on about. it's not like was the first big event that Naz was on, he wasn't the same hungry fighter. that is what makes long reigning Champions so special, the ability to stay motivated even when at the top

And that is 100% on Naz and doesn't detract from MAB's victory at all. Duran not being ready doesn't detract from Ray Leonard making him quit either.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:17 pm

ahh who was the guy that knocked the other guy out with a cheap shot after the fight had finished and the gloves had been taken off??? it wasn't that long ago, like within the last decade. 2 black guys fighting, i need to find out who and what that was. i remember seeing it and i was in shock, the dude got KTFO

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:19 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
dbudge wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
dbudge wrote:

And that is 100% on Naz and doesn't detract from MAB's victory at all. Duran not being ready doesn't detract from Ray Leonard making him quit either.

yeh exactly it was Naz's own fault, i'm not trying to argue otherwise. it's just another one of those "what if?" questions. Naz had serious power for a featherweight. if he'd chosen to keep training and learning his craft rather than rely on that power and not training then i really believe he would have been a special fighter and i also believe the outcome of that fight would have been different

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:22 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
dbudge wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
dbudge wrote:

Agreed. Athletics is the only occupation in the world where not preparing is actually an excuse. Try going to work and explaining to your boss that "You would have been ready for the board meeting, however you just failed to prepare." Preparation and discipline are imperative virtues to excel in any area of achievement. In filmmaking, there is a substantial budget that goes primarily for "prep" (Pre Production). That said, I don't know if the "Prince" prepared for MAB, however I do believe that Tyson was at least in the shape he was in for Michael Spinks the night he fought Buster Douglass.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:25 pm

Frank wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
dbudge wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
dbudge wrote:

Agreed. Athletics is the only occupation in the world where not preparing is actually an excuse. Try going to work and explaining to your boss that "You would have been ready for the board meeting, however you just failed to prepare." Preparation and discipline are imperative virtues to excel in any area of achievement. In filmmaking, there is a substantial budget that goes primarily for "prep" (Pre Production). That said, I don't know if the "Prince" prepared for MAB, however I do believe that Tyson was at least in the shape he was in for Michael Spinks the night he fought Buster Douglass.

i agree 100%, i'm not saying it wasn't Naz's fault because it was. his ego got the better of him. i'm just saying that Barrera wasn't in against the best Naz he could have been

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:25 pm

dbudge wrote:

ahh who was the guy that knocked the other guy out with a cheap shot after the fight had finished and the gloves had been taken off??? it wasn't that long ago, like within the last decade. 2 black guys fighting, i need to find out who and what that was. i remember seeing it and i was in shock, the dude got KTFO

That was James Butler. He later killed Max Kellerman's brother Sam.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:27 pm

dbudge wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
dbudge wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
dbudge wrote:

yeh exactly it was Naz's own fault, i'm not trying to argue otherwise. it's just another one of those "what if?" questions. Naz had serious power for a featherweight. if he'd chosen to keep training and learning his craft rather than rely on that power and not training then i really believe he would have been a special fighter and i also believe the outcome of that fight would have been different

As long as we agree what transpires in your imagination is far less important that what ACTUALLY happens, we're good Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Frank wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
dbudge wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
dbudge wrote:

Tropic Thunder is a truly terrible movie. But it has its moments. When Les Grossman has the key grip punch the director because "You shit the money bed" I damn near died!

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:29 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
dbudge wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
dbudge wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
dbudge wrote:

As long as we agree what happens in your imagination is far less important that what ACTUALLY happens, we're good Wink

c u next thursday

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:36 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
dbudge wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI3D7h5yxOs&feature=related here it is. that is truly disgusting. and i didn't know about Kellerman's brother either. the guy was clearly a fucking animal. what an oxygen thief. it's funny because they talk about Zab Judah's antics after the Kostya Tszyu fight, that is one that needs mentioning in this thread as well

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:50 pm

dbudge wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
dbudge wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI3D7h5yxOs&feature=related here it is. that is truly disgusting. and i didn't know about Kellerman's brother either. the guy was clearly a fucking animal. what an oxygen thief. it's funny because they talk about Zab Judah's antics after the Kostya Tszyu fight, that is one that needs mentioning in this thread as well
I agree with the announcer. He should've been arrested on the spot.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Frank wrote:
dbudge wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
dbudge wrote:

I agree with the announcer. He should've been arrested on the spot.

agreed 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 %

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:00 pm

James Butler proved what a piece of shit he is. The best part about that sucker punch is that he did it on a night that they were honoring the Police & Fireman. The place was filled with cops & firefighters. They were chanting "Arrest him!!!" Butler left in handcuffs.
As far as Hamed vs Barrera is concerned, Hamed was only a few months removed from KO'ing Bungu & Sanchez. His excuses are bullshit. I highly doubt he forgot everything he learned in that short of time. Meanwhile Barrera, a true champion, went on to fight Morales, Tapia, Kelley, Pacquiao, Ayala, Peden, Juarez & Marquez. Now that's a real fighter!!!
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next