The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your best and worse National Anthem Performance

+6
boxinglawyer
dbudge
bird
flapanther2001
Frank
GrantZilla
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Your best and worse National Anthem Performance Empty Your best and worse National Anthem Performance

Post  GrantZilla Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:01 am

There are certain things you do not do when singing the National Anthem. You don't forget the words. And you DON'T TRY TO MAKE IT YOUR OWN. Just sing the damn song. Don't get cutsey, and make a performance or put your spin on it!

Anyway. This by far I think best National Anthem performance I've seen recently

For the worse. Not going for obviouse Roseanne one. This one shows what I mean by butchering it with her divaness.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Your best and worse National Anthem Performance Empty Re: Your best and worse National Anthem Performance

Post  Guest Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:49 am

rosanne years ago was the worst ever..i hate it when they sing it with the woooo wooo shit.robert merrill is one of the best ever.please dont improvise with that junk.sing it as written .if you cant then lets get somebody else..

Back to top Go down

Your best and worse National Anthem Performance Empty Re: Your best and worse National Anthem Performance

Post  Guest Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:02 pm

In general I agree. Just sing the damned song...unless you are Marvin Gaye

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:54 am

National anthems should be banned from boxing.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:08 am

No National Anthem is more kick ass then the Star-Spangle Banner. Why? Because the melody came from a 1700th British drinking song. Oh yeah!

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:30 am

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:34 am

I thought you were Scottish.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:42 am

GrantZilla wrote:I thought you were Scottish.

I am.

We don't usually get big singers to sing our anthems before soccer games, it's usually some obscure person I've never heard of.

Perhaps they should introduce the anthems to the Champions League final, that's the closest thing we have to a Superbowl.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:52 am

Why hasn't Shirley Manson sung "Flower of Scotland"

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:02 am

GrantZilla wrote:Why hasn't Shirley Manson sung "Flower of Scotland"

Not sure.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:46 am

Best could find.

Why hasn't Annie Lennox sung it. Or Rod Stewart, he's part Scottish.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:24 am

Best - Marvin Gaye : Worst - Roseanne Barr

Honorable Mention: Mariah Carey. 2002 SB: St. Louis Rams vs. New England Patriots.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:01 pm

Hate any anthem where they hold notes for too long or try to show their vocal versatility by warbling multiple keys/octaves in one word. "R&B" singers are often the worst offenders.

Keep it simple. dignified. haunting.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:08 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Best could find.

Why hasn't Annie Lennox sung it. Or Rod Stewart, he's part Scottish.

Talk about haunting! Even the Irsh love that song

When will we see
Your like again,
That fought and died for,
Your wee bit Hill and Glen,
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
Tae think again

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Best....Whitney Houston
Worst...Jose' Feliciano

And to all the wannabe R&B singers....there are not 35 syllables in the word "say" or "see".
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:59 pm

Best Whitney Houston or Marvin Gaye (Gaye since there arent claims it was pre recorded)

Worst Roseanne and Carl Lewis

I like this version of Gaye's anthem better than the mroe famous one, plus come on it was at a Larry Holmes Shavers 2 title fight

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:04 pm

and believe it or not i was at a mavs game and Jery Stackhouse actually did a pretty good job on the anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ2GVnJQ7QA

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:13 pm

i hate it whemn you see an RnB artist butchering the US national anthem. Tom Jones did a version of God Save the Queen for Ricky Hatton vs Mayweather which was completely out of tune, and it takes a lot of effort to make that song sound out of tune!!! Tom Jones being Welsh probably didn't help. God Save the Queen is the national anthem for England but it is used as the British anthem in Olympics etc. The best National Anthems are sung at Rugby games, being at Twickenham amongst 80'000 fellow Englishman roaring out the national anthem is quite an atmosphere i can tell you, what makes that even better is the Rugby players all think they are professional singers. Seeing 15 ugly but rather big lads trying to sing in harmony is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hutHBq9w7Q

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:05 pm

The best Ive seen was Carrie Underwood. Simply well sung with a beautiful voice.

The worst EVER, and it has stuck with me all these years, was some Female R&B trio at the Tyson vs Ruddock fight. I almost rushed the ring and slapped the mic out of thier hands. It was an abomination.........

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:11 pm

boxinglawyer wrote: The best Ive seen was Carrie Underwood. Simply well sung with a beautiful voice.

The worst EVER, and it has stuck with me all these years, was some Female R&B trio at the Tyson vs Ruddock fight. I almost rushed the ring and slapped the mic out of thier hands. It was an abomination.........

almost every R&B group needs to stop doing it. It is supposed to be a relatively short song. You don't hold every damn note!!!!!
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:17 pm

as a Cubs fan, I have always loved Wayne Messmer singing the anthem. He busts through and sings it properly. He also always did a good version of Oh Canada when the old Montreal Expos came into Chicago.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:28 pm

We can add Christina Aguilera list off terrible National Anthem performances. Not only did she fuck up the words, but she did everything you can possibly imagine to the song
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:57 pm

^ that was horrendous. She is a perfect example of the modern "R&B" atrociousness that I despise

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:58 pm

Canvas wrote:^ that was horrendous. She is a perfect example of the modern "R&B" atrociousness that I despise
At least she wasnt as bad as the halftime show. DAMN Fergie can not sing one note.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:45 am

The Black eye Peas are awful.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next