The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why do fighters not throw straight punches

+5
powerpuncher
captainanddew
Gumby
Soonermark890
Rum Capital
9 posters

Go down

why do fighters not throw straight punches Empty why do fighters not throw straight punches

Post  Rum Capital Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:07 am

to the body??? pacquiao does this masterfully but tonight im watching andrade and im thinking the herrera kid is REALLY soft to the body and you have an amazing speed advantage why not hit him with straght lefts to the body and not just him most boxers avoid this. recently i have only seen pac and wilfredo vazquez do this
so my question is why??? is it dangerous to do so as you could be counter or is it just a plethora of bad trainers out there?
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

why do fighters not throw straight punches Empty Re: why do fighters not throw straight punches

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:10 am

Young guys all seem to be head hunters to me.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

why do fighters not throw straight punches Empty Re: why do fighters not throw straight punches

Post  Gumby Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:44 am

Rum Capital wrote:to the body??? pacquiao does this masterfully but tonight im watching andrade and im thinking the herrera kid is REALLY soft to the body and you have an amazing speed advantage why not hit him with straght lefts to the body and not just him most boxers avoid this. recently i have only seen pac and wilfredo vazquez do this
so my question is why??? is it dangerous to do so as you could be counter or is it just a plethora of bad trainers out there?

Chad Dawson is the worst offender.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:29 am

these guys don't want to be countered. They are content to try to land from the outside and avoid being hit.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:41 am

patience is the key. body work is about being patient. a head hunter is just hoping for a KO but a body puncher is looking in the future to wear down his opponent. i think that with the state that boxing is in right now, too many people rely soley on talent and try to go for the KO, or they dont care and just want to fight easy competition against a fighter that they can easily avoid for 8 or 10 rounds.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:50 am

It's because the AM system. Body punches, jabs, ect, are rarely ever scored. So fighters are taught to just throw a bunch of slapps to the head so judges can see it.

Why got so many young fighters that just throw slaps instead of proper leveraged punches, and are just head hunters.

Why the World Series of Boxing is the best thing to happen to boxing. Teaches these guys how to fight like a pro.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:40 pm

GrantZilla wrote:It's because the AM system. Body punches, jabs, ect, are rarely ever scored. So fighters are taught to just throw a bunch of slapps to the head so judges can see it.

Why got so many young fighters that just throw slaps instead of proper leveraged punches, and are just head hunters.

Why the World Series of Boxing is the best thing to happen to boxing. Teaches these guys how to fight like a pro.
I agree. The amateur style sucks ass. If I had a kid who I knew was going to go pro one day I would just say F the amateur style and find a trainer who would teach him proper technique.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:13 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:It's because the AM system. Body punches, jabs, ect, are rarely ever scored. So fighters are taught to just throw a bunch of slapps to the head so judges can see it.

I agree. The amateur style sucks ass. If I had a kid who I knew was going to go pro one day I would just say F the amateur style and find a trainer who would teach him proper technique.

Amateur style and alot of these guys don't want to get hit (at all). If you go to the body, then you have to sell out.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:06 pm

Just look at his trainer
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:35 pm

Yup, kids come up in the b.s. amature system and get discouraged from a consistent body attack early on. Those habits are hard to break in the pros. And when was the last time you saw a body shot make a highlight reel? You wanna be famous? KO guys to the head.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:02 pm

When I did AM boxing, this before joke system today, I can tell you, I'd rather get hit to the head, then a hard shot to the body. You can shake off hit to the head. A body shot, just lingers the entire fight. If bad enough, can hardly fight.

Why I give so much props to Maidanan for surviving that nasty body shot and doing as well as he did.

It realy is appaling the lack of body work by todays fighters who aren't Latin. To borrow one Atlas' terrible analogies, if want to take the air out the tires, you go to the body.

Want to know why Margs stopped throwing his jab, which was doing in begening of the Pac fight. Look at that nasty body shot Pac hit Margs with I think in the 3rd round. Margs never recovered from it.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:39 pm

I think a lot of the above is true but there is something else.

Throwing straight punches to the body requires exceptional craft and energy. Why? Because one's head must always be at the same height as the punches being thrown so as not to be vulnerable to a counter.

Want to jab to the body? HERE is what it looks like properly done

http://www.mikesilverboxing.com/

Deep crouch (energy), upper body bent almost 90 degrees at the waist (balance and energy).

This is high level craft.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:23 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:I think a lot of the above is true but there is something else.

Throwing straight punches to the body requires exceptional craft and energy. Why? Because one's head must always be at the same height as the punches being thrown so as not to be vulnerable to a counter.

Deep crouch (energy), upper body bent almost 90 degrees at the waist (balance and energy).

gna leave the other thread alone now and be friendly. i love the way you talk passionately about the craft and the more boxing i watch in black and white the more i come to realise what the craft was all about. and it's true, guys today dont learn the craft

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:42 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:I think a lot of the above is true but there is something else.

I think guys who are long can get away with bad form in this area. Same with guys who are quick or have exceptional timing.

Dirrell actually did a great job of that I thought against Abe.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:25 am

dbudge wrote:

gna leave the other thread alone now and be friendly. i love the way you talk passionately about the craft and the more boxing i watch in black and white the more i come to realise what the craft was all about. and it's true, guys today dont learn the craft

I think that is true in general. But watch a guy like Juan Manuel Marquez or Floyd Mayweather and those guys are craftsman of the highest level.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:48 am

yeh i agree with that too, Floyd and Juan have the craft without doubt. i'd say Pacquiao does to a degree. when i watch the early tyson i see a lot of it in him. craft that todays heavyweights will never learn. i want to be taught craft Sad

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down