The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FIGHTERS THAT DISAPPOINTED YOU.

+9
boxinglawyer
Gumby
GrantZilla
dbudge
flapanther2001
Tobe
gomez1012
freakzilla
Frank
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

FIGHTERS THAT DISAPPOINTED YOU. Empty FIGHTERS THAT DISAPPOINTED YOU.

Post  Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:12 pm

im not talking about a fighter who lost a fight that you wanted or thought would win..im thinking fighters that you thought could of been special or a champ for a while.even if you either saw a flaw in them or maybe missed something in them but still your hopes were high..3 come to mind fast for me.1.gerry cooney.especialy after the holmes loss just sulked.2. david tua..dam what a waste.3. a young gifted lightheavy a few years back called andrew maynard..was doing great untill sugar ray leanord got involved and try to change him....anyone else that disappointed you..

Back to top Go down

FIGHTERS THAT DISAPPOINTED YOU. Empty Re: FIGHTERS THAT DISAPPOINTED YOU.

Post  Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:20 pm

Robbie Sims
Edgar Wallace
Tony Fulilangi

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:28 pm

1. Oba Carr
2. Mark Breland

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:29 pm

Michael Grant.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:34 pm

Antonio Margarito

De La Hoya

Johnny Tapia

Kelly Pavlik
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:42 pm

For me it's always Kirk Johnson, my hometown guy. All the skills in the world, just couldn't bother to get in shape and stay there. Didn't have the discipline to be great.

And he got beat up by Teddy Atlas in training camp. Embarassed
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:54 pm

breland and grant are two good examples...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:58 pm

Grant was once knocked down by a 20 mph wind gust.

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Great topic.......
Bobby Czyz...I thought he had the potential to go far, but family problems & Mustafa Hamsho put and end to that.
Victor Ortiz has let me down so far. He might turn it around, but I doubt he has the killer instinct to overcome his fears.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:09 pm

without doubt, "Fraudley" Audley A-Farce Harrison

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:23 pm

Mark Breland had a fine pro career but he was never the magical pro that I thought he might be.

Tito Trinidad I thought might turn out to be another Duran. BHOP really revealed Tito's limits and then he sort of lost interest. Great fighter, just not what I thought/hoped he'd be.

But James Toney has to be at the top of my list. I mean as a 22-23 year old he beats Merqui, Nunn, Reggie J., the Bodysnatcher, Dewitt and Barkley. I mean GEEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He had everything he needed to be a top ten all-time guy except the personal discipline.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Pretty much every American HW in the last 15 years
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:04 pm

Edwin Valero and Joan Guzman.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:25 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Pretty much every American HW in the last 15 years
LOL.....co-sign.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:03 am

Its a long list for me.
Jemal Hinton. Quit before he got started.

Michael Grant. one loss forever changed him.

David Tua. Just never had the fire inside.

James Toney. Should be talked about in the same breath as Armstrong and Pac. Just could not stay disciplines.

Leeonzer Barber, Andrew Maynard, and pretty much that whole era of 175 pounders. They were set up for a BAZILLION super-fights and it just never happened. Moorer scared everyone to death, Maynard didnt pan out, Barber got religion and quit, Hill went for the quick cash, Williams couldnt get anyone BUT Moorer to fight him, etc. etc.

Donovan Ruddock. Great boxer who fell in love with his power and forgot how to box.

Tommy Morrison. Threw away the prime of his career for Booze and women. Should have took Bennt out in 90 seconds and then fought the pre-Steward transformation Lewis.

The guy that really dissapointed me? Johnny Tapia. I LOVED that dude! he loved cocaine....

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:49 am

Allan Green- I dont even need to say anything. Sad
Tommy Morrison- Use a rubber man
Chad Dawson- For now it seems he has no heart
Chris Arreola- EAT RIGHT SHIT
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:49 am

boxinglawyer wrote: Its a long list for me.

James Toney. Should be talked about in the same breath as Armstrong and Pac. Just could not stay disciplines.

Leeonzer Barber, Andrew Maynard, and pretty much that whole era of 175 pounders. They were set up for a BAZILLION super-fights and it just never happened. Moorer scared everyone to death, Maynard didnt pan out, Barber got religion and quit, Hill went for the quick cash, Williams couldnt get anyone BUT Moorer to fight him, etc. etc.

Donovan Ruddock. Great boxer who fell in love with his power and forgot how to box.
Tommy Morrison. Threw away the prime of his career for Booze and women. Should have took Bennt out in 90 seconds and then fought the pre-Steward transformation Lewis.

The guy that really dissapointed me? Johnny Tapia. I LOVED that dude! he loved cocaine....
This shocks me. Where could I see evidence of Ruddock being a great boxer?

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:51 am

Soonermark890 wrote:Allan Green- I dont even need to say anything. Sad
Chad Dawson- For now it seems he has no heartChris Arreola- EAT RIGHT SHIT
You're right, Sooner. I still can't understand why he didn't knock out Paschal. He had him out on his feet and backed away. Strange. Very strange.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:52 am

Frank wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:Allan Green- I dont even need to say anything. Sad
Chad Dawson- For now it seems he has no heartChris Arreola- EAT RIGHT SHIT
You're right, Sooner. I still can't understand why he didn't knock out Paschal. He had him out on his feet and backed away. Strange. Very strange.
For now he is the biggest disappointment.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:11 am

lawyer outstanding pics..sooner to a certain point i share your disappointment in green and morrison...i remember totaly the interview tommy had at ringside after the mercer loss..unlike bo-hop tommy handled the interview and his disappointement with style and grace ..he used the word we several times and not the word i and his humbleness and honesty was refreshing..i liked him more as a fan after seeing that interview...

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:37 pm

Frank wrote:

Watch his fight with Mike Weaver when he was young prospect. Harold Lederman judged the fight and told me about Razor. He jabbed and moved very well and was a counter puncher. Shortly thereafter, he found out he had power and stopped doing any of that.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:00 pm

dmar5143 wrote:lawyer outstanding pics..sooner to a certain point i share your disappointment in green and morrison...i remember totaly the interview tommy had at ringside after the mercer loss..unlike bo-hop tommy handled the interview and his disappointement with style and grace ..he used the word we several times and not the word i and his humbleness and honesty was refreshing..i liked him more as a fan after seeing that interview...
he is one of the reasons I fell in love with boxing.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:33 am

zab judah always comes to my mind when i think of wasted talent and disappointment. one of the best talents ive ever seen in boxing and just couldnt get away from his ghettoness. he needed to be trained by someone else that wasnt his dad. someone that would have pushed him to work and not slack off.

juan diaz also disappointed me. when he was coming up, i was thinking that he was going to be really special. he had one of the highest work rates that ive ever seen and had a ton of heart. he lost to campbell in a close fight then to marquez. those fights killed him as a fighter. i think that his school also got in the way of what he could have been but even though i love boxing, i understand that school is important and i dont blame him for that.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:37 am

boxinglawyer wrote:
Frank wrote:

Watch his fight with Mike Weaver when he was young prospect. Harold Lederman judged the fight and told me about Razor. He jabbed and moved very well and was a counter puncher. Shortly thereafter, he found out he had power and stopped doing any of that.
Gotcha. For those of you who want to bring in the New Year with a shock, watch "George Foreman vs. George Chuvalo." The same exact thing "BL" pointed out happened with Foreman. Look at this fight to see a snapping jab and nice combos all from..... "George Foreman." It all left when Dick Saddler told George, "All you have to do is punch the bag."

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:24 pm

powerpuncher wrote:zab judah always comes to my mind when i think of wasted talent and disappointment. one of the best talents ive ever seen in boxing and just couldnt get away from his ghettoness. he needed to be trained by someone else that wasnt his dad. someone that would have pushed him to work and not slack off.

I've always thought his issue was mental strength. A lot of times when guys are built on talent and ego without anyone to keep them in check, that's all they have to fall back on when the going gets tough. That's why I think Zab still has a shot right now, he doesn't seem as immature although mental strength is not something easily gained. I think more than a new trainer, he might've needed a new dad...
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next