The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saul Alvarez not planning to stay at Welterweight long

3 posters

Go down

Saul Alvarez not planning to stay at Welterweight long Empty Saul Alvarez not planning to stay at Welterweight long

Post  Guest Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:23 pm

Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is still on vacation, but next week he reports to training camp to begin the necessary work for his next fight, which is going to take place on March 5. Co-manager José "Chepo" Reynoso is still going over the details with Golden Boy Promotions. He says nothing has been set but talks are ongoing to close a deal with WBA welterweight champion Vyacheslav Senchenko of Ukraine.

"So far we have not signed for a fight against the Ukrainian Vyacheslav Senchenko. It is a fact that 'Canelo' will fight on March 5 at either Club Nokia in Los Angeles, California, or possibly Texas, which could take place in San Antonio. The opponent could be Senchenko if Oscar de la Hoya reaches an agreement with his people," Reynoso said. "Saul will have nine weeks to get in great shape. We gave him a good rest after his last fight on December 4 in Veracruz."

Reynoso and Team Canelo are pushing hard for the Senchenko fight. They admit that Canelo's time to win a title at welterweight is running out. He doesn't make 147 very easy and his last couple of bouts have taken place around 150-pounds. Reynoso says 2011 is likely the final year that Canelo can make something happen at 147. Canelo wants to win a title at 147 before making a full move to 154.

"I want to make the fight with Senchenko because 'Canelo' does not have much time at 147 pounds. The boy is 20-years-old, growing and perhaps 2011 will be his last year in this division. He has to sacrifice and concentrate for about six or seven weeks to make the weight. His last few fights have been at 150 pounds," Reynoso said.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34219

Back to top Go down

Saul Alvarez not planning to stay at Welterweight long Empty Re: Saul Alvarez not planning to stay at Welterweight long

Post  Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:43 am

if 147 is hard to make now then outside of that one fight why continue to struggle for the weight.at 147 i felt he could arise as a big star without much competion after one year at that weight...it is what it is..154 for some years ahead..at 154 there can be a huge and possible dangerous fight with angulo in mexico and ppv here....the right arena and promoter could bring out up to 75 000 fans with angulo or margo..
he needs fine tunning for sure over the next 12 to 15 months.if all goes well in that developement stage we just may have on our hands a huge superstar...i hope it happens for him..

Back to top Go down

Saul Alvarez not planning to stay at Welterweight long Empty Re: Saul Alvarez not planning to stay at Welterweight long

Post  dbudge Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:34 am

i've got a feeling that as time goes by, weight is going to become an issue for Alvarez. not any statistical evidence to back this claim up, just got a feeling. i look at his body structure and he is absolutely dead up top weighing 147lb. as his body grows and he gets to 23/24 his shoulders, legs, back etc etc will have all significantly grown and i don't see Alvarez as being an imposing guy at 160lb or higher. i'm probably completely wrong but it will be interesting to see

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:13 pm

He's 20 yrs old, I think he fights as a Jr MW then grows into a MW
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:19 pm

gomez1012 wrote:He's 20 yrs old, I think he fights as a Jr MW then grows into a MW

i know i know. it will be interesting to see how he grows over time though

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:58 pm

I could see dbudge being correct. Canelo is only 5' 9 with a 71 inch reach. That will make him shorter with less reach than most MWs. I think he will stay at JMW for awhile. He should do well there.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:50 pm

I can see Alvarez growing into a strong Jr Middleweight, but at Middleweight he'll be a bit small.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down