The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clottey planning comeback, wants Cotto and Saul Alvarez

5 posters

Go down

Clottey planning comeback, wants Cotto and Saul Alvarez Empty Clottey planning comeback, wants Cotto and Saul Alvarez

Post  GrantZilla Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:36 am

Former International Boxing Federation (IBF) welterweight champion Joshua Clottey (35-4, 20 KO’s) is talking comeback once again and wants to get back in the ring before the end of the year to start a new campaign at 154 lbs instead of his old weight of 147.

Clottey wants to take on junior middleweight champions Saul Alvarez and Miguel Cotto as soon as he gets a tune-up fight out of the way before the end of the year.

Clottey has lost his last two fights and even if he does fight a tune-up fight against a little known opponent before the end of the year the chances of Clottey being selected by either Cotto or Alvarez for a title fight in 2012 are slim and none even if the sanctioning bodies do quickly rank Clottey in the top 20. He’s not a big name and because of how awful he looked in the Pacquiao fight, he’s not likely going to be sought after by Alvarez or Cotto.

http://tinyurl.com/3g9fpgj

Clottey can forget about fighting those guys. Arum should match him up against Mike Jones
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Clottey planning comeback, wants Cotto and Saul Alvarez Empty Re: Clottey planning comeback, wants Cotto and Saul Alvarez

Post  Frank Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:43 am

Clottey has to know that his non-fight against Pac negates his marketing potential. He had the opportunity of a lifetime yet squandered it away. Most fans I know are so angry at him for that, they will not include him in a boxing conversation. Personally, I think it's better to get a few good punches in and get knocked out than to refuse to fight all together.

Damn, maybe Clottey deserves a second chance and I'm just in a mood this morning. Laughing

Frank

Back to top Go down

Clottey planning comeback, wants Cotto and Saul Alvarez Empty Re: Clottey planning comeback, wants Cotto and Saul Alvarez

Post  Diego408 Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:55 pm

^agreed no one wants to see his ass fight anymore, especially in high profile fights.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:36 pm

I'm not exscusing Clottey's piss poor performance, but that is why he was picked. Blame goes to Arum having Pac fight Clottey in the first place.

That's how Clottey has always fought.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:20 pm

Clottey would be interesting vs a # of guys

Like most fighters today, needs to get his ass in the ring!
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:08 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Clottey would be interesting vs a # of guys

It's a "what have you done for me lately" sport. If the gets in the ring and looks good he'll get fights if not he won't.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:22 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:

It's a "what have you done for me lately" sport. If the gets in the ring and looks good he'll get fights if not he won't.

I dont get why most fighters dont realize thats all it takes now a days

Look at Arreola and Sam Peter post Klitschko beat downs

They fight stiffs, KTFO, and are right back in line for a major payday
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:29 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

I dont get why most fighters dont realize thats all it takes now a days

Look at Arreola and Sam Peter post Klitschko beat downs

They fight stiffs, KTFO, and are right back in line for a major payday

Arreola is a fighters fighter in that regard. He understands that this is his job and works accordingly. I'd love to see what his end of the year purse total is. I would hope that it's higher than his contemporaries.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:23 pm

Arreola also benifits from being in one of the worst divisions in boxing. And being the only American HW we got.

Who else does US have? Thompson? Chambers? Barf bag please.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:27 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Arreola also benifits from being in one of the worst divisions in boxing. And being the only American HW we got.

Who else does US have? Thompson? Chambers? Barf bag please.

He still puts the work in.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:01 pm

My beef, along with many other critics of Arreola, has always been his weight. I don't care if he busts his ass in the ring, it's pointless when you're showing up grossly overweight.

Yes, he's lots weight, but he's still too fat. He should be 220 tops! Big George in his prime was 215 pounds, and not going to tell me Arreola is more "thick built" than Big George.

Nobody expecting Arreola to have a Herculean build, he's not built like that. But can atleast show up in top shape. He's a lot more faster and mobile when he isn't packing the blubber.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:34 pm

GrantZilla wrote:My beef, along with many other critics of Arreola, has always been his weight. I don't care if he busts his ass in the ring, it's pointless when you're showing up grossly overweight.

Yes, he's lots weight, but he's still too fat. He should be 220 tops! Big George in his prime was 215 pounds, and not going to tell me Arreola is more "thick built" than Big George.

Nobody expecting Arreola to have a Herculean build, he's not built like that. But can atleast show up in top shape. He's a lot more faster and mobile when he isn't packing the blubber.

+1

He does fight though and that's more than we can say for most of these guys. I'm grateful for that. He seems to be trying to get better and get thinner so I root for his effort.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:58 pm

GrantZilla wrote:My beef, along with many other critics of Arreola, has always been his weight. I don't care if he busts his ass in the ring, it's pointless when you're showing up grossly overweight.

Arreola lost a lot of weight already and I agree with Hardcore, Arreola is putting in work and pretty much got himself a Wlad shot for next year. A few wins always get you in position, Jhonny Gonzalez and Jorge Arce do this all the time.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down