The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this football????

2 posters

Go down

Is this football???? Empty Is this football????

Post  Frank Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:18 am

A game called off because of a fucking blizzard? The Eagles and the Vikes postpone because of a damn snowstorm? This is the NFL! Games are to be played under any conditions with an electrical thunderstrom being the exception. In that case, we allow the players to go to the locker rooms until the lightening ceases. Snow stopping a game? A mayor of a city allowed to call off a football game? Get the fuck outta here!

The NFL has a reputation for playing in horrible weather conditions. This has created legendary games, like the "The Ice Bowl" in Green Bay (late 1960s) and the NFC championship between Green Bay and New York. What has become of the NFL?

Last edited by Frank on Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Frank

Back to top Go down

Is this football???? Empty Re: Is this football????

Post  Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:47 am

frank because its not football anymore..they mostly play it indoors on a dam carpet no wind and a perfect tempeture..john madden may have expressed my thoughts on this best a few years back..as a young kid i remembered for years the games in the mud and rain..or snow..uniforms were caked in mud and dirt..that was gridiron..sliding in slop .the kicker facing a challenge on footing as well as the wind facture..the uncertainly of the conditions made a turnover on any play a possibilty..
you marveled at the expertise of frank gifford lenny moore paul horning executing to perfection no matter the elements..that was home field advantage not a dam carpet..
watching the master thriple teamed called gino marchetti overcome the elements plus triple teamed to raise havoc on the quaterback...face masks..what was that..
clean hard nose football real football not the cheap hits and candy ass steroid bloated prima donnas of today..the game was played with intensity and like baseball of old actuasl love of the game..gone are the real hard nose tough sobs called tight ends..the dikas mackeys dave caspers of the game who actualy blocked with ferosity.the nichkes and buckus laniers who truly intimidated every down not by talk but with powerfull desire..
the elements was what made football exciting..the entire league more or less was made up of bret favres.WARRIORS....the ice bowl pited a aging all time great team against a future dominate team in -13 degree weather or -37 chill facture...that game was played flawless both 2 true great clubs..or as you say the title game of 1962 in similar weather played by the whos who of football.taylor star kramer davis nitchke gregg wood atterly gifford robistelli huff chanldler rote katcavage...flawless...i hope tuesday all day theres a bizzard again.give the candyasses another day off..

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:27 am

dmar5143 wrote:frank because its not football anymore..they mostly play it indoors on a dam carpet no wind and a perfect tempeture..john madden may have expressed my thoughts on this best a few years back..as a young kid i remembered for years the games in the mud and rain..or snow..uniforms were caked in mud and dirt..that was gridiron..sliding in slop .the kicker facing a challenge on footing as well as the wind facture..the uncertainly of the conditions made a turnover on any play a possibilty..
you marveled at the expertise of frank gifford lenny moore paul horning executing to perfection no matter the elements..that was home field advantage not a dam carpet..
watching the master thriple teamed called gino marchetti overcome the elements plus triple teamed to raise havoc on the quaterback...face masks..what was that..
clean hard nose football real football not the cheap hits and candy ass steroid bloated prima donnas of today..the game was played with intensity and like baseball of old actuasl love of the game..gone are the real hard nose tough sobs called tight ends..the dikas mackeys dave caspers of the game who actualy blocked with ferosity.the nichkes and buckus laniers who truly intimidated every down not by talk but with powerfull desire..
the elements was what made football exciting..the entire league more or less was made up of bret favres.WARRIORS....the ice bowl pited a aging all time great team against a future dominate team in -13 degree weather or -37 chill facture...that game was played flawless both 2 true great clubs..or as you say the title game of 1962 in similar weather played by the whos who of football.taylor star kramer davis nitchke gregg wood atterly gifford robistelli huff chanldler rote katcavage...flawless...i hope tuesday all day theres a bizzard again.give the candyasses another day off..
+ 1,000,000,000

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:09 pm

Frank wrote:A game called off because of a fucking blizzard? The Eagles and the Vikes postpone because of a damn snowstorm? This is the NFL! Games are to be played under any conditions with an electrical thunderstrom being the exception. In that case, we allow the players to go to the locker rooms until the lightening ceases. Snow stopping a game? A mayor of a city allowed to call of a football game? Get the fuck outta here!

The NFL has a reputation for playing in horrible weather conditions. This has created legendary games, like the "The Ice Bowl" in Green Bay (late 1960s) and the NFC championship between Green Bay and New York. What has become of the NFL?

Having lived in an around Philly for 15 years a couploe of thoughts. There is limited public transportation to that site, almost everyone drives. It isn't really within walking distance in bad weather to an occupied part of the city and Philly (in MY experience) NEVER dealt well with snow.

But there really isn't any excuse for cancelling the game. The first option should have been moving the game UP from evening to 4pm or even 1pm if than was necessary. The second option was just going ahead and holding it and doing the best everyone could and making sure they had the ability to handle 5-6000 people for a long time if cars wouldn't start etc.

WEAK Philly, just WEAK!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:10 pm

dmar5143 wrote:frank because its not football anymore..they mostly play it indoors on a dam carpet no wind and a perfect tempeture..john madden may have expressed my thoughts on this best a few years back..as a young kid i remembered for years the games in the mud and rain..or snow..uniforms were caked in mud and dirt..that was gridiron..sliding in slop .the kicker facing a challenge on footing as well as the wind facture..the uncertainly of the conditions made a turnover on any play a possibilty..

Yup. Elements of toughness are forever gone.

I really hope the Vikings find a way to build an outdoor stadium.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:56 pm

NFL suits are realy pissing me off. Talking about player safety, yet last week had them playing on a fucking rock solid frozen field.

I love the headline from the Philadelphia Daily News "The Wimps Who Stole Christmas"

This is the height of wimpiness, and the girly-men who made this sad decision should be ashamed of themselves. The NFL has been rightfully called the No Fun League for a number of years, but this takes that to a whole embarrassing new level. In fact, let's name names here: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, Eagles' owner Jeff Lurie and president Joe Banner, and Mayor Nutter - you are the Wimps Who Stole Christmas from football fans in Philadelphia.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20101227_The_Wimps_Who_Stole_Christmas.html
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:27 am

GrantZilla wrote:NFL suits are realy pissing me off. Talking about player safety, yet last week had them playing on a fucking rock solid frozen field.

I love the headline from the Philadelphia Daily News "The Wimps Who Stole Christmas"

This is the height of wimpiness, and the girly-men who made this sad decision should be ashamed of themselves. The NFL has been rightfully called the No Fun League for a number of years, but this takes that to a whole embarrassing new level. In fact, let's name names here: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, Eagles' owner Jeff Lurie and president Joe Banner, and Mayor Nutter - you are the Wimps Who Stole Christmas from football fans in Philadelphia.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20101227_The_Wimps_Who_Stole_Christmas.html
Good article.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down