The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE CASE FOR BRADY

3 posters

Go down

THE CASE FOR BRADY Empty THE CASE FOR BRADY

Post  Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:55 am

Some things to think about when comparing Peyton Manning and Tom Brady

-The strength of the defenses has been amazingly close. In the ten years the two have both played The Pats had the better defense six times and the Colts four times. Maybe more importantly their rankiings were only divided by as many as five positions six times. Three in favor of each. The defenses are more or less a wash.

-Offensive weapons. Manning has played with 28 offensive pro bowl selections in his thirteen years or 2.2 per season. Brady has played with 12 in ten seasons or 1.2. In other words Manning has almost twice as many pro bowl supporting players as Brady each year. Here's another way to look at it, Manning has played eight seasons with two or more offensive pro bowlers. Brady has had that luxury twice.

-Individual stats. At this point Brady and Manning have IDENTICAL career passer ratings. 94.9 (That's a little weird).

-The object of football is to win. We see above Manning has had more to work with, but what have the results been? Regular Season records? Brady is 110-32 (.774) Manning is 139-67 (.674). Both impressive, Brady obviously moreso.

-Brady has made it to the playoffs seven of the nine years he was healthy (.777) while Manning has made it ten times in thirteen years (.769).

-How about the playoffs? Manning is 9-9 (.500) with a rating of 87.6. Brady is 14-4 (.777) with a rating of 85.5.

-Brady has three championships to Manning's one.

It seems to me what this data says is Brady has been as productive (at least) as Manning with a lesser supporting cast. It also says to me that by the measures that matter, winning and especially championships, Brady has a clear edge.

Now don't get me wrong, both of these players are extraordinary. But too many folks are ready to annoint Manning as the GOAT when it isn't even obvious he is the best QB of HIS time.

One game for my life? I'd give Brady the ball.

Back to top Go down

THE CASE FOR BRADY Empty Re: THE CASE FOR BRADY

Post  Frank Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:05 am

Marble, Manning is probably the best "regular season" QB I've seen since Dan Marino. Brady is the best post season QB I've seen since Montana. Sure, the teams have something to do with it, however there are some HOF quarterbacks who I'd rather not play with in post season. Peyton Manning is one of them. Farve is another one. Ya think I'm crazy? In his last two NFC Championship games, he's passed for interceptions in crucial moments. (See Green Bay vs. New York Giants & Minnesota vs. New Orleans.)

Laugh me off the site if you want, but for my money, I'd take Jim Plunkett (LA Raiders) over a good number of HOF quarterbacks in post season play.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:19 am

both have achieved greatness and to a level of elitizm very few have..stats are fine to a certain point but ...there are to me a few names on a list that are in the mix of best of all time..both brady and manning are on that list as well as marino unitas..farve and elway not to far behind..manning is closing in on 200 straight games starting.how many does brady have..
why do we have to equate winning it all as a crieria in talking greatness..how many world series did ted williams win..
bradshaw bart star and otto grahm and never considered as the greatest or in the elite 4 or 5 yet they perhaps are the big game quaterbacks..star 5 champoinships bradshaw 4 super bowls graham it seems every year was in the final title game..winning is a team effort in football.always will be..
in four and a half years or so if he stays very healthy manning will supase my favorite players greatest records..most yardage most td passes thrown are well within mannings reach..
if i had to pick one game at quaterback it would be bart starr..one guy to win it in less then 2 minutes it would be unitas..if i had to pick one qb to lead my team for a decade it would be brady maybe..starr bradshaw graham manning young montana even stabler all are choices that would be exceptional..the greatest of all time..any one of 4-5 or 6 names would fit as the best choice.pick a card..there that close.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:01 pm

Frank wrote:Marble, Manning is probably the best "regular season" QB I've seen since Dan Marino. Brady is the best post season QB I've seen since Montana. Sure, the teams have something to do with it, however there are some HOF quarterbacks who I'd rather not play with in post season. Peyton Manning is one of them. Farve is another one. Ya think I'm crazy? In his last two NFC Championship games, he's passed for interceptions in crucial moments. (See Green Bay vs. New York Giants & Minnesota vs. New Orleans.)

Laugh me off the site if you want, but for my money, I'd take Jim Plunkett (LA Raiders) over a good number of HOF quarterbacks in post season play.

As a BIG Jim Plunkett fan I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I can name 25 QB's I've seen I'd rather have to give the ball to than Brett Favre.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:03 pm

dmar5143 wrote:both have achieved greatness and to a level of elitizm very few have..stats are fine to a certain point but ...there are to me a few names on a list that are in the mix of best of all time..both brady and manning are on that list as well as marino unitas..farve and elway not to far behind..manning is closing in on 200 straight games starting.how many does brady have..
why do we have to equate winning it all as a crieria in talking greatness..how many world series did ted williams win..
bradshaw bart star and otto grahm and never considered as the greatest or in the elite 4 or 5 yet they perhaps are the big game quaterbacks..star 5 champoinships bradshaw 4 super bowls graham it seems every year was in the final title game..winning is a team effort in football.always will be..
in four and a half years or so if he stays very healthy manning will supase my favorite players greatest records..most yardage most td passes thrown are well within mannings reach..
if i had to pick one game at quaterback it would be bart starr..one guy to win it in less then 2 minutes it would be unitas..if i had to pick one qb to lead my team for a decade it would be brady maybe..starr bradshaw graham manning young montana even stabler all are choices that would be exceptional..the greatest of all time..any one of 4-5 or 6 names would fit as the best choice.pick a card..there that close.

Because that's the objective of the game. It is why it is played in the first place. Look NOBODY worships Teddy Ballgame more than me. But when you compare him and Ruth? The championships are what really divide them.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:23 pm

Niners fans hate it anytime you say Brady > Montana.

Once Brady is through, he could be.

And he's from San Mateo!
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:56 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Niners fans hate it anytime you say Brady > Montana.

Once Brady is through, he could be.

And he's from San Mateo!

I LOVE Brady. Not ready to put him over Montana, yet.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:41 pm

ill take brady overall over montana.in fact in the past several teams and coaches have said they would cringe if joe ever got hurt cause they feared young a little more.geez what a team.young or montana both had the ultimate co -stars..rice and taylor or a roger craig to throw to or hand the ball off to..or one of my old workout buddies kevan fagon at tackle and mr hardnose himself ronnie lot and coached by bill walsh..how would a dan marino have done with that club..maybe win 6 super bowls.or brady..hmmm 6 also.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:05 pm

It seems to me what this data says is Brady has been as productive (at least) as Manning with a lesser supporting cast

Why Brady is better. He's had far less to work with, but succeeds. Fuck, look at how the team was written off this year when got rid of Moss. Now they're pretty much a lock for Super Bowl.

New England under Brady and Belidick are the best team at producing the most out of less.

Being a big Montana fan, I'll even say if Brady ends up winning another SB, he surpasses him, simply because Montana had more to work with then Brady has had during his time in New England.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down