The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ESPN Article on Floyd vs SRR

+6
boxinglawyer
captainanddew
powerpuncher
dmar5143
Frank
BoxingGenius
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

ESPN Article on Floyd vs SRR - Page 2 Empty Re: ESPN Article on Floyd vs SRR

Post  powerpuncher Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:40 am

dmar5143 wrote:BG I don't understand your logic or thinking on this.you cannot see Floyd getting koed yet you predict alvarez koing Floyd.why because he may be 18 or so pounds heavier fight night.robinson is one of the greatest punchers of all time.alvarez isn't the best puncher today forget all time.robinson threw with awesome speed and at several angles.alvarez does not.robinson hits much harder then a alvarez.power wise there not in the same league..intelligence experience real toughness awesome boxing skills robby had.alvarez hasn't a clue on things like that compared to robinson.we are talking about perhaps the most complete fighter of all time.alvarez is not what I view as a complete fighter.
oh lets not leave out conditioning either.alvarez falls far short.you can see a alvarez koing Floyd yet the greatest fighter of all time with great power cannot.im at a loss for words on that .
well he did mention at floyds peak. so maybe BG is alluding that he thinks that floyd has slipped quite a bit since then.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:18 am

Dmar, Sugar Ray Robinson had 110 KOs. I think that's only second to Archie Moore's record of 130 KOs.

By Floyd's logic, 110 tried to go the distance and 110 failed. LOL

Just for the sake of argument, there are divisions in the 21st century that I would compare to any divisions in the 20th century. For example, I loved the featherweight division starring Marquez, Erik Morales, Marco Antonio B., Manny Pac, etc. I'm not saying they were the best, though I think they could compete with just about any other featherweight division on some level. That doesn't mean they could've beaten Willie Pep or Sandy Sadler, but those guys (The Pac Gang) were good. Damn good.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:22 am

dmar5143 wrote:BG I don't understand your logic or thinking on this.you cannot see Floyd getting koed yet you predict alvarez koing Floyd.why because he may be 18 or so pounds heavier fight night.robinson is one of the greatest punchers of all time.alvarez isn't the best puncher today forget all time.robinson threw with awesome speed and at several angles.alvarez does not.robinson hits much harder then a alvarez.power wise there not in the same league..intelligence experience real toughness awesome boxing skills robby had.alvarez hasn't a clue on things like that compared to robinson.we are talking about perhaps the most complete fighter of all time.alvarez is not what I view as a complete fighter.
oh lets not leave out conditioning either.alvarez falls far short.you can see a alvarez koing Floyd yet the greatest fighter of all time with great power cannot.im at a loss for words on that .
saying that just means that i think floyd is not anywhere near what he used to be 10 years ago, hell 5 years ago he doesnt lose a round to alvarez at any weight i dont think. saul wouldnt touch him. hes slowed down enough to be hittable now. for the SRR comparison im moreso talking floyd at his peak. lol im by no means saying canelo is on SRR's level. moreso that floyd is currently about 5 levels below where he once was.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:24 am

Frank wrote:Dmar, Sugar Ray Robinson had 110 KOs. I think that's only second to Archie Moore's record of 130 KOs.

By Floyd's logic, 110 tried to go the distance and 110 failed. LOL

Just for the sake of argument, there are divisions in the 21st century that I would compare to any divisions in the 20th century. For example, I loved the featherweight division starring Marquez, Erik Morales, Marco Antonio B., Manny Pac, etc. I'm not saying they were the best, though I think they could compete with just about any other featherweight division on some level. That doesn't mean they could've beaten Willie Pep or Sandy Sadler, but those guys (The Pac Gang) were good. Damn good.
true i guess its kind of a moot point because floyds best weight was not 147 anyways IMO he was his very best at 135 i think granted he outgrew it, but he was a beast back then

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:52 am

Floyd has not slipped 5 levels at all.in fact he was very sharp his last fight and should be sharp again...again theres no doubt Floyd is a great fighter but sorry BG theres a strong tendency not only by you but several folks today to vastly overate Floyd at 135 140 etc etc.floyd was a beast at 135.realy what beast.he had 4 fights at that weight and one many felt he lost.he fought a soso.who the fuck is he.a guy with a padded record against nobodies.floyd has been a welter now for 7 full years.thats his established weight class.
his first fight after outgrowing the 135 was chop chop corely.so if that's Floyd at his best a beast as you say then put him up against robby who weighed 144..4 pounds no big difference in fact robby was same day weight in.at 144 robby beat lamotta who was 160..how would that beast Floyd done against jake.he gets killed.
at 135 that beast don't beat duran at his best.nor benny leanard nor Armstrong nor beau jack yes beau jack at his best.there was a beast at 135..a monster.if castillio did ok for 2 of floyds 4 fights at 135 then how about ike Williams.im talking several guys that would beat Floyd when he was a beast at 135.and as great as they were or a good as they were there not robinson.how about lou ambers.smarter then Floyd faster too.the division at 135 where you say Floyd was a beast just happens to be in my thoughts the greatest champs in numbers over any division starting with joe gans.none of thoses guys cherry picked nor retired convently until said opposition faded some.
there isn't a thing Floyd can do that thoses fighters and others haven't seen before and in some instances they have seen it done better.
there is no credible boxing historian to my knowledge that ranks Floyd in the top ten at 135.thats Floyd at his best per you.a great fighter.yes.a beast.not at any weight.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:59 pm

The sport is watered down now.  The skill levels are lower than ever, while the talent and athleticism are probably higher than ever.   Its the ONE sport where the competitors have NOT gotten better.  They have regressed in skill level.  Younger guys have NO CLUE about this though because they have not seen it with thier own eyes.  Its annoying at times and funny at others when I hear these comparisons made.  Floyd, Roy Jones, The Klits are the BEST of thier era, and while there are all-timers they could compete with, on a round robin best of the best, they dont make the top of thier classes.  The older guys were just THAT much better.  I dont mean 60 years ago either, you can go back to the 80s and find guys that were head and shoulders above them.  Its not bias, hating, whatver the kids call it, its just the facts.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:28 pm

boxinglawyer wrote:The sport is watered down now.  The skill levels are lower than ever, while the talent and athleticism are probably higher than ever.   Its the ONE sport where the competitors have NOT gotten better.  They have regressed in skill level.  Younger guys have NO CLUE about this though because they have not seen it with thier own eyes.  Its annoying at times and funny at others when I hear these comparisons made.  Floyd, Roy Jones, The Klits are the BEST of thier era, and while there are all-timers they could compete with, on a round robin best of the best, they dont make the top of thier classes.  The older guys were just THAT much better.  I dont mean 60 years ago either, you can go back to the 80s and find guys that were head and shoulders above them.  Its not bias, hating, whatver the kids call it, its just the facts.
Boxing used to be the only self defense class people knew. It was also a major sport that preceded the NBA and NFL. It also paid the most. IMO when American GI's came home from the Pacific Theater, Korea and Vietnam they brought back martial arts which took over what once was boxing. DoJo's opened up instead of boxing gyms. Youth boxing took a dive and kids went for black belts instead of weight class belts. Corruption was another dagger to the sport in America, who wants to participate in a sport or pursue a sport that you may win in but someone says "You Lose".   Boxing has however caught up in the rest of the world.  I am surprised that the fall of soviet communism didn't breed more fighters that are good. It's still a great sport to enjoy and it will live on in some capacity because because of blood lust.  Boxing is it's own wost enemy and shoots itself in the foot repeatedly.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:15 am

Sugar ray Robinson... P4p greatest of all time. Mayweather don't come close

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:47 pm

I haven't read through this thread, but I remember when these articles came out they were on the front page of ESPN. My guess was that the articles were intended to make people aware of how great SRR was and because most people don't know boxing, Floyd (the only fighter some people know) is used as a reference point.

That way it can be said that for as great as Floyd is, there's this other guy who was actually the greatest of all time...and it's not Ali.

As far as who would win, these things are always impossible for me to debate. Different eras. The obvious choice is SRR, but no one has any real idea how past athletes skills and abilities would translate to the modern era. However, there's no debate that Floyd will ever get near SRR is the pantheon of great boxers.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2