The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canelo-Kirkland September 15?

+12
SlickMoney
jz_hova
nano212
captainanddew
NJBeatdown86
Gumby
Soonermark890
Tobe
Diego408
dmar5143
hardcorebee24
GrantZilla
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Canelo-Kirkland September 15? Empty Canelo-Kirkland September 15?

Post  GrantZilla Wed May 09, 2012 3:26 am

According to trainer/manager Eddy Reynoso, WBC junior middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (40-0-1, 29KOs) could possibly face WBC #2 contender James Kirkland (31-1, 27KOs) on September 15 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Over the weekend, Golden Boy Promotions announced that Canelo would headline his own pay-per-view on September 15.

Kirkland, the WBC's Continental Americas champion, has been mentioned as a potential opponent, says Reynoso.

Last Saturday in Las Vegas, Canelo won a twelve round unanimous decision over former three division world champion "Sugar" Shane Mosley. The fight generated incredible ratings on Mexican television. The Mosley victory produced a 26.1 rating on a national level, Canelo's highest rating to date. Each rating point is 600,000 households. Based on the rating there were over 15 million homes tuning in.

http://tinyurl.com/6owkzt5
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Canelo-Kirkland September 15? Empty Re: Canelo-Kirkland September 15?

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed May 09, 2012 3:40 am

Wow, big test for both guys. I'll take Canelo in this one but Kirkland always has a chance. I guess Kirkland doesn't want to give Molina a rematch.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed May 09, 2012 3:48 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:Wow, big test for both guys. I'll take Canelo in this one but Kirkland always has a chance. I guess Kirkland doesn't want to give Molina a rematch.

Sounds like a cash out. Ishada and Molina showed how horribly flawed Kirkland is. He doesn't got the chin or the skills to last against Canelo. He's only got a puncher's chance.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed May 09, 2012 4:47 am

GrantZilla wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:Wow, big test for both guys. I'll take Canelo in this one but Kirkland always has a chance. I guess Kirkland doesn't want to give Molina a rematch.

Sounds like a cash out. Ishada and Molina showed how horribly flawed Kirkland is. He doesn't got the chin or the skills to last against Canelo. He's only got a puncher's chance.

He can capture a belt at 154 with one punch. A loss doesn't really hurt him too much. Molina is a good fighter. If I'm Kirkland I take this fight. Title shots and big money for looking subpar.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed May 09, 2012 4:52 am

I agree. Take the fight. Get the money.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed May 09, 2012 10:51 am

this fight i anticipated..as some know i dont believe in the saying cashing out.especialy in kirklands case.its more like cashing in.kirkland in this case has i feel nothing but upside..yes his only chance is a punchers chance as grant said but...but again 1.this is a big money fight for kirkland hes realy not established as a big money fighter nor will he ever be i think.a win here gives him a shot at floyd maybe or cotto or even martinez.all great paydays.if he puts up a suprize good fight and losses he gets another one or 2 good hbo dates as maybe a headliner.if he gets blown out so what.that loss puts him in a money -fight opportunity more or less like hes in now.if he drops alvarez but gets koed early in a exciting fight it puts kirkland on more tv dates as at least a good tv undercard for ppv fights or a hbo date because they will know he will give a action fight.ko or be koed.a fight that fans love..
its all upside for this limited glass jaw big puncher..take the fight and the money.there could be more to come.since most of us dont have high expectations for kirkland and i feel we are a good measuring stick for boxing fans he has little to lose a lot to gain.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 09, 2012 1:14 pm

the WBC's Continental Americas champion

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed May 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Kirkland does not stand a chance. Hes going to end up getting KOed. Molina should be next on Canelos radar. Now thats a true step up in class. within the next two to three years i want to see Canelo in agaisnt Kirkland, Molina, Angulo, Lara and Mayweather.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Wed May 09, 2012 3:52 pm

Kirkland is probably more of a draw than Molina, and less of a risk. But that's still a good style match and should be a hell of a fight to watch. You have think Canelo is a fairly big favorite though.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed May 09, 2012 6:04 pm

This fight will be fun to watch. Its a great idea for both fighters.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed May 09, 2012 6:27 pm

Smart match-making for Canelo. The easiest and most exciting of all his available opponents. As much as Kirkland doesn't deserve it, I'd love to see that fight.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed May 09, 2012 6:40 pm

Gumby wrote:Smart match-making for Canelo. The easiest and most exciting of all his available opponents. As much as Kirkland doesn't deserve it, I'd love to see that fight.
I think he deserves it. Kirkland is the type of guy I want to get a payday because his career will be short. His chin will not hold up.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Wed May 09, 2012 6:47 pm

Good action fight.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed May 09, 2012 7:23 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
Gumby wrote:Smart match-making for Canelo. The easiest and most exciting of all his available opponents. As much as Kirkland doesn't deserve it, I'd love to see that fight.
I think he deserves it. Kirkland is the type of guy I want to get a payday because his career will be short. His chin will not hold up.

no offense but fuck Kirkland.

Molina slapped Cintron around. Cintron gets the big payday against Canelo.
Molina is beating Kirkland and then ridiculousness ensues. Kirkland gets the big payday against Canelo.

starting to see a pattern.

Lara beats PW and loses a highly controversial decision. Lara is not able to get any of the money makers of the division to fight him.

starting to see a pattern.

Kirkland is the perfect opponent. Dangerous enough that people will overestimate his chances, will provide action, and in all likelihood his chin won't hold up.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu May 10, 2012 2:28 am

I'm with you Captain. I don't blame Kirkland for taking the payday. I don't blame GB for wanting the match up to hype Canelo even more.

I blame the business and corruption of boxing for guys like Molina and Lara to continue to get fucked over.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 11, 2012 4:20 pm

Eric (Omaha)
Dan - Got to meet James Kirkland in Vegas last weekend. He seemed like a great guy. He said he wanted to fight Canelo next. Any shot that happens later this year?

Dan Rafael
(12:37 PM)
He has been offered the fight for Sept 15 but his people turned it down because of the shoulder, which they do not believe will be ready soon enough to go through a full training camp. They were offered more than $900,000.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri May 11, 2012 5:34 pm

Ali wrote:
Eric (Omaha)
Dan - Got to meet James Kirkland in Vegas last weekend. He seemed like a great guy. He said he wanted to fight Canelo next. Any shot that happens later this year?

Dan Rafael
He has been offered the fight for Sept 15 but his people turned it down because of the shoulder, which they do not believe will be ready soon enough to go through a full training camp. They were offered more than $900,000.

get molina or lara. Either will take the fight.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 11, 2012 5:43 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Ali wrote:
Eric (Omaha)

Dan Rafael

Well Dan said Golden Boy won't even risk Canelo against Cotto so it's unlikely they'll choose risky opponents.

Dan said K9's contract with King is about to expire and Golden Boy would be interested in making a unification fight between them.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri May 11, 2012 5:48 pm

Ali wrote:
captainanddew wrote:
Ali wrote:
Eric (Omaha)

Dan Rafael

Well Dan said Golden Boy won't even risk Canelo against Cotto so it's unlikely they'll choose risky opponents.

Dan said K9's contract with King is about to expire and Golden Boy would be interested in making a unification fight between them.
isn't K9 facing spinks again this summer as a bullshit mandatory?

sick of this shit with Canelo. Fuck this avoiding risky fights. If you want to be a P4P fighter you have to be willing to beat tough fighters in your division. Lara and Molina are guys he can beat. Beating journeymen, washed up Hall of famers, and crude brawlers (that would be kirkland which they wanted), doesn't prepare you to be a P4P fighter. You have to face top boxers in your division. Guys who give other guys trouble.

Too risky to face Lara or Molina then what the hell do you think happens in a year or so when he tries to face Floyd????? If they want him to be a moneymaker then they can just follow this path. If they want him to become a P4P player he needs to start facing guys who are going to be trouble.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri May 11, 2012 7:04 pm

That can't even use the exscuse that Molina or Lara are not draws. None of Canelo's opponents have been draws.

Bundrage sure as fuck isn't a draw.

Canelo is just like Bum Jr. Except Canelo isn't a bum. And as of right now, Bum Jr has faced better comp than Canelo. Not point and even crediting his win over Mosley. Mosley was a corpse.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri May 11, 2012 7:45 pm

GrantZilla wrote:That can't even use the exscuse that Molina or Lara are not draws. None of Canelo's opponents have been draws.

Bundrage sure as fuck isn't a draw.

Canelo is just like Bum Jr. Except Canelo isn't a bum. And as of right now, Bum Jr has faced better comp than Canelo. Not point and even crediting his win over Mosley. Mosley was a corpse.

what are you smoking??? Matt Hatton, Ryan Rhodes, Gomez, and Cintron all brought so much to the table Laughing
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri May 11, 2012 7:49 pm

having a young fighter face top competition too soon can be a problem. Especially when they have that fighter face a brutal puncher (like Vargas against Trinidad). It can change a career. But we are talking about the ginger kid having to beat a top 10 guy, who isn't old, and isn't a crude ass brawler.

But they need to take off the kid gloves a bit. Lara and Molina aren't big punchers that could completely change a career.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri May 11, 2012 7:59 pm

He's got 40 fights under his belt. Shit. That's 3 less than Floyd.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 12, 2012 12:40 pm

How about Lara vs. Molina on the undercard for the right to face Canelo ?

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed May 30, 2012 5:39 pm

Looks like Canelo-Kirkland is now back on:

http://tinyurl.com/7ee4ml4
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next