The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alvarez Still Wants Mayweather, Miguel Cotto Too

+4
gomez1012
NJBeatdown86
powerpuncher
GrantZilla
8 posters

Go down

Alvarez Still Wants Mayweather, Miguel Cotto Too Empty Alvarez Still Wants Mayweather, Miguel Cotto Too

Post  GrantZilla Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:42 pm

WBC junior middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (39-0-1, 29KOs) is still targeting a May 5th clash with Floyd Mayweather Jr. (43-0, 26KOs), the welterweight king of the WBC. Alvarez, who fought four times in 2011, doesn't plan to be as active in 2012 because he plans to take much bigger fights which require longer training periods. He plans to sit down with Golden Boy Promotions in the coming days to discuss potenial opponents for his first fight in 2012. If he can't get Mayweather, he would also have in interest in facing WBA champion Miguel Cotto (37-2, 30KOs) of Puerto Rico.

"Next year were are aiming to do just three fights at the most. A lot can happen but that is our initial plan. At the moment I have no opponent. We want to have a good rest. In the coming days I will sit down and talk with [Golden Boy President] Oscar De La Hoya to see what is next, but we're very happy with where we are going to and being world champion. A name that I'm interested in fighting is Cotto because he's one of the best. Obviously I would be very happy to make that fight. At the moment I want to challenge Floyd Mayweather Jr. I want to face the best and we're going to talk to Golden Boy to see what happens," Canelo said.

http://tinyurl.com/cxd652a
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Alvarez Still Wants Mayweather, Miguel Cotto Too Empty Re: Alvarez Still Wants Mayweather, Miguel Cotto Too

Post  powerpuncher Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:07 pm

cotto is the fight he needs to go for, not mayweather. i think that he could beat cotto and plus it would be another mexico vs puerto rico fight which would bring a ton of fans. canelo isnt at all ready for mayweather.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Alvarez Still Wants Mayweather, Miguel Cotto Too Empty Re: Alvarez Still Wants Mayweather, Miguel Cotto Too

Post  NJBeatdown86 Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:35 pm

Flod would bust him up pretty good right now, Cotto is the better option, although he'll have to leave Top Rank as Arum will not let him have it.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:37 pm

NJBeatdown86 wrote:Flod would bust him up pretty good right now, Cotto is the better option, although he'll have to leave Top Rank as Arum will not let him have it.

I think he would. Arum been wanting to match his protected boy Bum Jr against Canelo. If Cotto tells Arum he does not want to fight a Light HW in Bum Jr, I could see Arum going with Canelo.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:43 pm

I think he'd probably try to build up Jr. a bit by putting him up against a shot Cotto before Canelo, but Jr. will likely always be over his head against anyone with a pulse, despite his huge size advantage over Cotto and Canelo.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Alvarez vs Cotto
Pac vs Mayweather

Cinco de Mayo 2012....

A pipe dream lol
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:15 pm

arum will likely try to set up cotto chavez as it is in house and he still promotes the winner. If Cotto were to tell him he isn't going to 160 and wants Canelo, then it might get made. it is a big enough fight that Arum might be willing to risk it. And if Cotto wins, then his fighter will have dented a Golden Boy cash cow.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:24 pm

captainanddew wrote:arum will likely try to set up cotto chavez as it is in house and he still promotes the winner. If Cotto were to tell him he isn't going to 160 and wants Canelo, then it might get made. it is a big enough fight that Arum might be willing to risk it. And if Cotto wins, then his fighter will have dented a Golden Boy cash cow.

i dont think Cotto wants Chavez Jr, kid might be too big for him and i think he knows that
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:30 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:arum will likely try to set up cotto chavez as it is in house and he still promotes the winner. If Cotto were to tell him he isn't going to 160 and wants Canelo, then it might get made. it is a big enough fight that Arum might be willing to risk it. And if Cotto wins, then his fighter will have dented a Golden Boy cash cow.

i dont think Cotto wants Chavez Jr, kid might be too big for him and i think he knows that

I hope you are right. I don't think there is any upside to Cotto facing a 180 pound Chavez Jr. Would give up too much size and if he did win, he doesn't get credit as Chavez Jr. would have been "exposed" (to many fans).

Alvarez fight makes much more sense.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:18 am

Canelo struggled against Alfonso Gomez's speed and boxing ability, imagine Floyd's. I really don't think anyone that can beat Floyd besides Canelo when he hits his prime and Floyd gets out of his. Right now he should target Chavez or Cotto, both are very winnable fights. I think he'll rape Chavez with a UD and KO Cotto.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:03 am

What happened to the WBC stripping JCC jr for not facing Martinez next? If Arum makes JCC jr vs Cotto next the whole point of it being for Cotto to try and get another "title" in a different weight class right? But if JCC jr faces anybody but Martinez next he gets stripped? Either WBC full of shit or they be fighting for the WBB middleweight Championship! Alvarez Still Wants Mayweather, Miguel Cotto Too WBBOXING-1-r50-916x940
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:19 am

gomez1012 wrote:Alvarez vs Cotto
Pac vs Mayweather

Cinco de Mayo 2012....

A pipe dream lol
That card breaks 3 million easy.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:52 pm

I am beginning to dislike Canelo the person.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down