The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Per Fat Dan, ODH considering comeback

+5
GrantZilla
Shaun
flapanther2001
dmar5143
captainanddew
9 posters

Go down

Per Fat Dan, ODH considering comeback Empty Per Fat Dan, ODH considering comeback

Post  captainanddew Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:18 pm

LOS ANGELES -- Who knows whether Oscar De La Hoya was just caught up in the moment or if he's serious? But like many of us, he was inspired by the amazing story of Dewey Bozella.

Bozella, as you probably know by now, is the 52-year-old man who spent 26 years in prison for a murder he did not commit. He was released in 2009 and his dream was to have one professional fight if he ever got out.

De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions was instrumental in helping Bozella get a license from the California State Athletic Commission and aided him in Bernard Hopkins' training camp as he prepared for his pro debut.

After Bozella's four-round decision victory Saturday night on the Hopkins-Chad Dawson undercard at Staples Center, De La Hoya tweeted, "Bozella wins and has inspired me to make a comeback!!!!!"

De La Hoya is 38. He retired after being destroyed by the much smaller Manny Pacquiao over eight lopsided rounds in December 2008. It was the end of a 3-4 stretch over his last seven fights in which his performance steadily went downhill. He even admitted during the recently concluded "24/7 Mayweather/Ortiz" series on HBO that he was "done" when he fought Floyd Mayweather Jr. back in 2007.

De La Hoya also recently disclosed that he has had a drug and drinking problem. He has said his partying ways probably took about four good years off of his career.

The point is, inspired or not, De La Hoya is finished. As great as he was for the sport during his days as boxing's biggest star, the last thing boxing needs is for a washed-up once-great champion to come back and get hurt. And that obviously would not be good for De La Hoya either.

Maybe De La Hoya doesn't recall all the times -- so many of them -- when he vowed that once he did retire, he would stay retired. He made it a point to say -- over and over -- that he didn't want to be like Sugar Ray Leonard, who seemed to retire and unretire all the time.

De La Hoya didn't just tweet his interest in returning. Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, De La Hoya's close friend and business partner, told me after Saturday's Hopkins-Dawson show that De La Hoya had also told him he wanted to come back.

"Don't know, but I think he might give it one more," Schaefer said.

I suggested to Schaefer that it might not be a good idea.

His response was, "Just always remember -- sports is entertainment, and when it comes to entertainment, Oscar is No. 1. No question about it. There are a lot of other people in boxing who, frankly, should retire before Oscar does -- from promoters to refs to judges.

"If Oscar really wants it, and devotes himself 1,000 percent, he can still beat anyone. I really believe that from the bottom of my heart."

I can understand Schaefer's wishful believing. And I can understand De La Hoya's desire. He's still a young man at 38 and probably wrestling with what he should do with the rest of his life beyond being a promotional company figurehead.

Besides, Golden Boy Promotions could certainly use the injection of the millions that a De La Hoya fight would probably generate. The company has no bankable pay-per-view stars under contract.

But as Bozella said himself after his victory when explaining why Saturday's fight would be his only one, "It's a young man's game."

De La Hoya, at 38, is young in life. In boxing years, however, he is an old man -- one that, hopefully, will have second thoughts.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Per Fat Dan, ODH considering comeback Empty Re: Per Fat Dan, ODH considering comeback

Post  dmar5143 Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:03 pm

its about another potential 15 or more million.its not that he truly can dominate..will he call out martinez.or will he come to sanity and stay as a promoter.
why did bozella inspire him and not hopkins.this testing of the waters is plain foolish.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Per Fat Dan, ODH considering comeback Empty Re: Per Fat Dan, ODH considering comeback

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:32 pm

FUCK OSCAR DE LA HOYA!!!!!!!!!
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:41 pm

Oscar's best option would be to setup a fight vs. Julio Ceaser Chavez Jr.

Oscar beat up Julio's dad twice, this is Jr's chance for revenge and to redeem the Chavez legacy.

I personally do not think Oscar is a shot fighter. I think the weight drain vs. Pacquiao was 100% of the problem with that fight. I think the Oscar we would see in a return fight would be the one we saw vs. Mayweather.

With that said, I think the fight would be interesting to the casual fan and also sell a lot of PPVs.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:42 pm

Shaun wrote:Oscar's best option would be to setup a fight vs. Julio Ceaser Chavez Jr.

Oscar beat up Julio's dad twice, this is Jr's chance for revenge and to redeem the Chavez legacy.

I personally do not think Oscar is a shot fighter. I think the weight drain vs. Pacquiao was 100% of the problem with that fight. I think the Oscar we would see in a return fight would be the one we saw vs. Mayweather.

With that said, I think the fight would be interesting to the casual fan and also sell a lot of PPVs.

I remember Steve Forbes marking his face up in the prior fight. I remember ODH getting beaten up in sparring prior to the Pac fight. I think he is done.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:50 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Shaun wrote:Oscar's best option would be to setup a fight vs. Julio Ceaser Chavez Jr.

I remember Steve Forbes marking his face up in the prior fight. I remember ODH getting beaten up in sparring prior to the Pac fight. I think he is done.

Let's say your right and that Oscar is completely washed up... good. That will make for a competitive fight vs. Chavez Jr.

I'm fine with this particular fight.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:20 pm

GB must be running out of money
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:14 pm

Oscar denies it on twitter
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:22 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Oscar denies it on twitter

Same way he denied dressing in pantyhose
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:02 am

captainanddew wrote:

I've gotta agree with Bob Arum, Oscar is a fucking dumb-ass.

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:45 am

flapanther2001 wrote:FUCK OSCAR DE LA HOYA!!!!!!!!!

Easy now friend lol.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:42 pm

Chavez Jr vs. Oscar De La Hoya is the only fight I'd be interested in.

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:46 pm

kbyte wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:FUCK OSCAR DE LA HOYA!!!!!!!!!

Easy now friend lol.
DLH is the Devil. El Diablo in disguise.....evil incarnate!!!! Twisted Evil
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:31 pm

If he comes back its probably because he'd want a win for his last fight, becuase his last fight was a nightmare for him lol I really hope he keeps his coke out ass out of the ring forever at this point.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:21 pm

He'll comeback and fight Victor Ortiz for twice fucking up his career.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:19 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:He'll comeback and fight Victor Ortiz for twice fucking up his career.
Ortiz would KO Oscar at this point.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down