The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pacvs Marquez-lets get the weight out of the way

+6
powerpuncher
Gumby
flapanther2001
gomez1012
GrantZilla
captainanddew
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pacvs Marquez-lets get the weight out of the way Empty Pacvs Marquez-lets get the weight out of the way

Post  captainanddew Sun May 08, 2011 10:08 pm

I present an alternative view on Pac vs Marquez III (which we probably will be getting). Simply put, the reason against the fight has to be something other than the weight. If another boxing writer says I love the fight at 135 or 140, but not 147 I'm going to scream. What they are saying makes no sense!

Forget what Pac weighs in at for his (147) fights. When the fights begin he weighs around 148 pounds (unofficial scale against Margarito and 1 other fight on HBO). 148 pounds. He isn't rehydrating and weighing what a normal welter like Berto weighs (155 pounds) or what a big welter like Ortiz weighs (161).

What did Pac weigh in the ring the last time he and Marquez fought? In the ring that night, he weighed 145 pounds. 3 pounds less than when he fought Margarito.

Marquez weighed 141 pounds the last time he faced Pac. He gave up 4 pounds in the ring vs Pac.

When marquez fought Katsidis, he weighed 145 on the unofficial scale. 145. 3 pounds less than Pac's weight vs Margacheato.

If Marquez walks in the ring the same weight as he did against Katsidis (145), he will probably be giving up 3-4 pounds. The exact weight difference when they fought the last time!!! So unless people think that the difference in skills (and how much each has left) between Pac and Marquez has widened alot since their last fight, then a third fight makes very good sense.

I do believe Pac will win much more cleanly than their previous fights because he has improved while Marquez has declined a little. But weight has very little to do with how the fight will turn out, or if in fact, it should be made. I apologize if I am long winded. As a lawyer, I'm used to people paying me for how much time I spend doing a task.

OR simply freaking put:
Am I confusing you with my weight talk on Pac and Marquez? It is easy my man.

They Fight in March 2008; In the ring weights:
Pac 145
Marquez 141

Separate fights in November 2010: In the ring weights
Pac-148
Marquez-145

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Pacvs Marquez-lets get the weight out of the way Empty Re: Pacvs Marquez-lets get the weight out of the way

Post  GrantZilla Sun May 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Weight not as much of an issue as JMM's age. He's been in a lot tough fights since he last fought Pac. And appears to be slipping.

In the words of Teddy, he's put a lot on his odometer
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Pacvs Marquez-lets get the weight out of the way Empty Re: Pacvs Marquez-lets get the weight out of the way

Post  gomez1012 Sun May 08, 2011 10:16 pm

Weight don't matter
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun May 08, 2011 10:17 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Weight not as much of an issue as JMM's age. He's been in a lot tough fights since he last fought Pac. And appears to be slipping.

In the words of Teddy, he's put a lot on his odometer

I agree. I'm just so sick and tired of hearing stupid boxing writers talking about weight. Then boxing fans (most of whom aren't smart like the guys on here), start spewing that everywhere. You'll see it in Dougie Fisher's mailbag on ring, in the chat with Rafael, etc.... I'm just tired of the absolute stupid ideas people have about the weight.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sun May 08, 2011 10:18 pm

It's not the weight they fight at, it's the effort it takes to make a certain weight. If a fighter has to drain down, it makes a difference. They should fight at 140.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun May 08, 2011 10:25 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:It's not the weight they fight at, it's the effort it takes to make a certain weight. If a fighter has to drain down, it makes a difference. They should fight at 140.

who has to drain down any at 140? Neither of them.

If you make the weight limit 140. Both weigh 140 and they go into the ring at 145 and 148.
If you make the weight limit 147, they go into the ring at 145 and 148.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sun May 08, 2011 10:36 pm

captainanddew wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:It's not the weight they fight at, it's the effort it takes to make a certain weight. If a fighter has to drain down, it makes a difference. They should fight at 140.

who has to drain down any at 140? Neither of them.

If you make the weight limit 140. Both weigh 140 and they go into the ring at 145 and 148.
If you make the weight limit 147, they go into the ring at 145 and 148.
Not really that simple. Fighting at 140 means Manny has to come down a little, not much, but some. JMM cannot fight over 140. Look at what happened when he weighed 144 for Floyd. Fighting at 147 gives Manny an advantage. He can train without worrying about his weight. 140 makes a difference.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun May 08, 2011 11:09 pm

The weight matters. There's a difference between fighting at a solid 147 and fighting at 147 after putting on a bunch of water weight. You can have more muscle and more energy if you don't need to rehydrate.

Pacquiao's superstar rise is not all because he fixed his technique. He also is stronger. He's among the stronger punchers at welterweight. That wasn't true of Pacquiao when he was fighting at lightweight even though he came in only a few pounds lighter.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun May 08, 2011 11:15 pm

You think Pac is a strong puncher at welter? I think he's lost a lot of his power moving up to welter.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon May 09, 2011 12:56 am

i think that JMM still has it. he may have declined a little but so far for what ive seen he has still been dominant. i dont see this fight being any different than the previous 2.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon May 09, 2011 3:16 am

powerpuncher wrote:i think that JMM still has it. he may have declined a little but so far for what ive seen he has still been dominant. i dont see this fight being any different than the previous 2.

+1

Styles make fights and JMM's is one that gives Pac hell
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon May 09, 2011 3:18 am

powerpuncher wrote:i think that JMM still has it. he may have declined a little but so far for what ive seen he has still been dominant. i dont see this fight being any different than the previous 2.

Why I'll be interested to see how JMM does in his tune-up. He just didn't look as sharp against Kat

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon May 09, 2011 3:23 am

GrantZilla wrote:

Why I'll be interested to see how JMM does in his tune-up. He just didn't look as sharp against Kat

Katsisdis had 1 good round. He got schooled every other round
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon May 09, 2011 3:26 am

JMM got hit a lot in that fight. More so then usual for JMM

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon May 09, 2011 3:42 am

GrantZilla wrote:JMM got hit a lot in that fight. More so then usual for JMM

Dropped by Manny 4x and still gave him hell
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon May 09, 2011 3:43 am

gomez1012 wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:JMM got hit a lot in that fight. More so then usual for JMM

Dropped by Manny 4x and still gave him hell

He was also younger back then, with less miles on him

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon May 09, 2011 3:56 am

Still the same fighter with the same style
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon May 09, 2011 4:00 am

gomez1012 wrote:Still the same fighter with the same style

By that logic, Jones Jr should have beaten Hopkins in the rematch. Same fighter, same style

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon May 09, 2011 4:02 am

GrantZilla wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:Still the same fighter with the same style

By that logic, Jones Jr should have beaten Hopkins in the rematch. Same fighter, same style

He almost did in that garbage rematch. Why many didn't expect the performance he put up vs Pascal
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon May 09, 2011 4:10 am

So age and wear and tear play zero factor huh

Go tell that to Holyfield
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon May 09, 2011 4:14 am

GrantZilla wrote:So age and wear and tear play zero factor huh

Styles make fights

Certain guys have another fighter's #. That's what im saying genius
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon May 09, 2011 4:22 am

gomez1012 wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:So age and wear and tear play zero factor huh

Styles make fights

Certain guys have another fighter's #. That's what im saying genius

And my point genius is, that doesn't matter as much if that fighter is on the decline JMM was younger, with less wear and tear, and had to fight hard to get a draw and a close loss. You think a JMM on the decline is going to fair as well?

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Mon May 09, 2011 4:24 am

How is JMM on the decline? Against Diaz and Katsidis he looked great.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon May 09, 2011 4:32 am

SlickMoney wrote:How is JMM on the decline? Against Diaz and Katsidis he looked great.

In-activity. The fact he's 37 years old. He's been in some tough fights since he last fought Manny.

Why I agree he should take a tune-up before fighting Pac.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Mon May 09, 2011 4:38 am

GrantZilla wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:How is JMM on the decline? Against Diaz and Katsidis he looked great.

In-activity. The fact he's 37 years old. He's been in some tough fights since he last fought Manny.

Why I agree he should take a tune-up before fighting Pac.

He fought twice in 2010. And looked like his normal self.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next