The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Refs need to start deducting points for Excessive Clinching

+5
GrantZilla
flapanther2001
Groundhog
Diego408
gomez1012
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Refs need to start deducting points for Excessive Clinching  Empty Refs need to start deducting points for Excessive Clinching

Post  gomez1012 Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:37 pm

Forget the head butts, Devon Alexander was using holding as his DEFENSE

Refs need to force the action by taking points away if a guy keeps hugging

Unless your on the verge of getting KO'd there should be no reason for a fighter to grapple his opponents so he doesnt punch

If a fighter hugs more than say 5x times a round points need to start coming off

Marquess of Queensberry Rules
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquess_of_Queensberry_Rules

2. No wrestling or hugging (clinching) allowed.

Perfect example Ref Keith Hughes in the Berto-Collazo
Round 4 starts at 5:55

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Refs need to start deducting points for Excessive Clinching  Empty Re: Refs need to start deducting points for Excessive Clinching

Post  Guest Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:47 pm

One thing is that fighters need to stop giving in to being held. Too often they simply accept it. Want the ref to notice? Thrash about, pull your arms out, punch with your free hand. Do NOT just accept it!

Back to top Go down

Refs need to start deducting points for Excessive Clinching  Empty Re: Refs need to start deducting points for Excessive Clinching

Post  Diego408 Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:56 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:One thing is that fighters need to stop giving in to being held. Too often they simply accept it. Want the ref to notice? Thrash about, pull your arms out, punch with your free hand. Do NOT just accept it!
exactly, Remember Angulo with his last opponent, he didnt give in with the clinch and turn the fight over and won it by KO. He kept working to land his punches. Gamboa's KO over Al Seeger is another example. He caught him cold while Seeger was trying to clinch.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:00 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:One thing is that fighters need to stop giving in to being held. Too often they simply accept it. Want the ref to notice? Thrash about, pull your arms out, punch with your free hand. Do NOT just accept it!

..or you smack em behind the head like Froch lol Twisted Evil

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:02 pm

Great call

Fight your way out of it if the ref isnt doing anything about it
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:02 pm

In Mexico, the clinch doesnt exsist.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:04 pm

Groundhog wrote:

Seriously!

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:05 pm

Diego408 wrote:In Mexico, the clinch doesnt exsist.

Hahahaha cheers
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:05 pm

gomez1012 wrote:

Great call

Fight your way out of it if the ref isnt doing anything about it

Yup. And when the fans and ref see the guy being held FIGHTING against it? It kind of forces the referee to act.

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:07 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Groundhog wrote:

Seriously!

I believe the ref eventually deducted Dirrell late in the fight for holding every 5 secs. Froch didn't get deducted for rabbit punches even though he landed a few when Dirrell grabbed him.

By the last couple rounds Dirrell actually came on, got a clue, and started to dominate the fight by sticking and moving, but by then it was too late.

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:53 pm

Excessive clinching is tantamount to stalling. If the hierarchy of boxing want their sport to flourish, they'll do something about it to make it more exciting. When baseball was dying, after the strikes, they figured out a way to garner interest. Juiced up baseballs (and players..LOL) caused all those homeruns to bring back the fans. If they don't, boxing will bore the younger generation.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:24 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Forget the head butts, Devon Alexander was using holding as his DEFENSE

Refs need to force the action by taking points away if a guy keeps hugging

Unless your on the verge of getting KO'd there should be no reason for a fighter to grapple his opponents so he doesnt punch

If a fighter hugs more than say 5x times a round points need to start coming off

Marquess of Queensberry Rules
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquess_of_Queensberry_Rules

2. No wrestling or hugging (clinching) allowed.

Perfect example Ref Keith Hughes in the Berto-Collazo
Round 4 starts at 5:55

LOL...you're the "hispaniccausingpanic"?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:49 pm

Hahaha sure am

Somebody got my other one banned, they wouldnt reinstate gomez1012 at ESPN
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:50 pm

Or could do what Mayweather did with Hatton to keep Hatton from hitting and holding. Remeber right when Hatton get inside to hold, Mayweather stick his elbows into his face. Hatton stopped doing it after getting face full of elbows.

But almost all refs are total incompetant. I doubt most of them even know the rules as far as clinching

It is illegal to use clinching as a offensive, such as hitting and holding. It's also illegal to use clinching to keep the other fighter from staying busy. Wlad does this all the time, and no ref calls it.

Only time clinching is allowed is when a fighter is tired or is hurt. That's it!

Last edited by GrantZilla on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:51 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Hahaha sure am

Somebody got my other one banned, they wouldnt reinstate gomez1012 at ESPN
Bunch of douche bags over there anyway.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:54 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Or could do what Mayweather did with Hatton to keep Hatton from hitting and holding. Remeber right when Hatton get inside to hold, Mayweather stick his elbows into his face. Hatton stopped doing it after getting face full of elbows.

But almost all refs are total incompetant. I doubt most of them even know the rules as far as clinching

It is illegal to use clinching as a offensive, such as hitting and holding. It's also illegal to use clinching to keep the other fighter from staying busy. Wlad does this all the time, and no ref calls it.

Only time clinching is allowed is when a fighter is tired or is hurt. That's it!
The ref kept Hatton from clinching in that fight too!!
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:59 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:

True, kill parts of day while at work at that wasteland lol
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:59 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:The ref kept Hatton from clinching in that fight too!!

Yup. Cortez is notorious for breaking fighters up. You can bet why Mayweather camp picked him.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:04 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:The ref kept Hatton from clinching in that fight too!!

Yup. Cortez is notorious for breaking fighters up. You can bet why Mayweather camp picked him.

Cortez ref for GBP fights Khan-Maidana, Hatton-Flod. Khan and Flod win, opponents complain about ref...

just saying...
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:21 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:

True, kill parts of day while at work at that wasteland lol

Lol I knew this for a while. I just never wanted to blow up your spot. Writing patterns are suprisingly easy to direct most of the time.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:29 pm

yes fight your way out of the clitch..bull push shove etc ..the refs need to do something i agree.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:32 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:Lol I knew this for a while. I just never wanted to blow up your spot. Writing patterns are suprisingly easy to direct most of the time.

I dont even care lol

You still posting over there? I figured you where using something over there, could never guess which one lol
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:34 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:Lol I knew this for a while. I just never wanted to blow up your spot. Writing patterns are suprisingly easy to direct most of the time.

I dont even care lol

You still posting over there? I figured you where using something over there, could never guess which one lol

I mostly lurk. I post as myself if I do post.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:36 pm

so true. Hit his ass with anything you can. Most of the time a guy just accepts it and then after the fight complains about being held.

I don't know why a trainer doesn't train a fighter for that. If you are going to face a guy that holds alot (and that isn't what you want your fighter to deal with), I'd have him work on that for at least 3-4 rounds of sparring.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:37 pm

captainanddew wrote:

so true. Hit his ass with anything you can. Most of the time a guy just accepts it and then after the fight complains about being held.

I don't know why a trainer doesn't train a fighter for that. If you are going to face a guy that holds alot (and that isn't what you want your fighter to deal with), I'd have him work on that for at least 3-4 rounds of sparring.

Go back 110 years when fights were longer and the pacing was different and wrestling was a part of training. Learning how to tangle, and how to get disentangled from the other guy were skills taught and practiced. Bring Dan Gable in for a Greco-Roman teaching session and your fighter will learn how to escape this bullspit.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next