The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

chad dawson hires steward

+2
gomez1012
Rum Capital
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

chad dawson hires steward Empty chad dawson hires steward

Post  Rum Capital Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:01 pm

Chad Dawson hires Emanuel StewardEmail Print Comments5 By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive
Former light heavyweight titlist Chad Dawson is under new stewardship -- Emanuel Steward's, to be exact.

Coming off a career-worst performance in an 11th-round technical decision loss to champion Jean Pascal in August, Dawson has hired Steward as his trainer.

Steward, who has worked with dozens of champions during his Hall of Fame career, replaces Eddie Mustafa Muhammad. Steward also trains heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko and junior middleweight titlist Miguel Cotto, among others.

Rafael's Boxing Blog
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

"I have always been a big fan of Chad's and I think he will bring excitement back to the light heavyweight division and to boxing," Steward said Thursday. "I am not interested in winning decisions. I'm concussion crazy. I only want Chad to win by knockouts and I know that's what he wants to do, too. HBO's investment in Chad is going to pay off big dividends and his stock will be a strong buy in 2011, especially after he destroys Pascal in their rematch."

Dawson had a rematch clause in his contract after losing to Pascal on his turf in Montreal. They were both permitted to take interim bouts. Dawson elected to not take one, but Pascal did and fought to a controversial draw with Bernard Hopkins on Dec. 18.

Next is supposed to be the Pascal-Dawson rematch, although it remains up in the air until Gary Shaw, Dawson's promoter, and Yvon Michel, Pascal's promoter, receive an offer from HBO, which televised the August fight. According to Shaw and Michel, HBO would need to offer the same or more as it did for the first fight.

If HBO doesn't, Pascal would not be obligated to a rematch and perhaps could face Hopkins again.

Regardless of whom Dawson faces, Steward will be in his corner.

"It was very frustrating watching Chad, who I think has an enormous amount of talent, fighting the wrong type of fight against Pascal," Steward said. "At this stage of my career, I'm only going to work with fighters who can achieve greatness and I see greatness in Chad Dawson. Chad Dawson will regain his light heavyweight title and perhaps add titles in the super middleweight and cruiserweight divisions. He is that talented."

Shaw said he believed it was a good move for Dawson.

"This is a great holiday gift for Chad and his fans," Shaw said. "Chad needed a change in direction and we think Manny Steward is the perfect tonic. Manny is simply great. He brings a lot of world championship success and experience with him. While promoting Lennox Lewis, I had the pleasure of watching his training methods firsthand. To say I was impressed would be a gross understatement.

"I know he will help Chad fulfill all his potential in becoming a complete top pound-for-pound fighter. Manny has vowed to bring Chad's potent offense to the forefront when he challenges Pascal in their rematch next spring."

Shaw said he plans to meet with HBO executives next week to discuss a deal for the Pascal-Dawson rematch.

"Much of Chad's past success is owed to his former trainer Eddie Mustafa Muhammad," Shaw said. "But as they say, styles make fights, not just inside the ring but inside the gym and after reflecting on several issues following the Pascal fight, a change in trainer seemed to be the prudent decision. However, with that said, I have the utmost respect for Eddie as a man and as a professional."

Dawson (29-1, 17 KOs), of Hartford, Conn., has not scored a knockout since 2007, and Steward is known for his offensive strategy.

"Manny is a very offensive-minded trainer and that's what Chad needs," Shaw said. "Chad hasn't scored a knockout in three years. It's not that he's not skilled or strong enough, but the style he was fighting was not conducive to knocking guys out. I give credit to Chad to recognizing himself that he needed to change and that he was willing to make the change."

Steward said when he was with Klitschko training him in Austria about a month ago, one of Dawson's representatives got in touch with him and asked if he would be interested in training him.

"I told him I was always a big fan of Chad's and I'd be interested," said Steward, who was ringside calling the fight with Pascal in his role as an HBO analyst.

"I was so frustrated watching his fight with Pascal," Steward said. "I saw what he was doing wrong. I take this as a challenge and my company [HBO] has invested so much money in him and all you guys [in the media] have criticized him so much, I said, 'Well let me see if I can take a shot at it.'

"I can make him more explosive. I love knockouts. I definitely feel he should have knocked out Pascal. When I did the broadcast of the fight, I was so surprised he kept laying back. He's got to be more aggressive. I'll see what I can do."

Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

chad dawson hires steward Empty Re: chad dawson hires steward

Post  gomez1012 Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:23 pm

Good for Chad
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:26 pm

How many trainers is Dawson going to have. Dan Birmingham, Predator, Muhammed, Steward.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:20 pm

Dawson will learn how to jab and to hold.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:45 pm

Great, he'll be even more boring to watch. I didn't think that was possible.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:48 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Great, he'll be even more boring to watch. I didn't think that was possible.

just watch Grant. Give Steward a year and Chad will be Wladified.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:50 pm

captainanddew wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:Great, he'll be even more boring to watch. I didn't think that was possible.

Uh,
chad dawson hires steward Homer-facepalm
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:50 pm

Interesting, Steward seems to be regaining that old desire to teach the big dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:56 pm

Ali wrote:Interesting, Steward seems to be regaining that old desire to teach the big dogs.

I think more like he's finding fighters that fit his style. Tall guys with long arms. Cotto being the exception. But jurry out still on whether Manny can do anything with him. No, one legged Yuri Boreman was not a adequate test.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:02 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
I think more like he's finding fighters that fit his style. Tall guys with long arms. Cotto being the exception. But jurry out still on whether Manny can do anything with him. No, one legged Yuri Boreman was not a adequate test.

I agree, I think a healthy Foreman might take Cotto in a decision

Round 4 & 5 was doing really well finding a home for that right and moving away

Last edited by gomez1012 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:08 pm

Does this even matter? Steward cant teach him heart.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

chad dawson hires steward Empty DAWSON HIRES MANNY S.

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:12 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5970686

"I have always been a big fan of Chad's and I think he will bring excitement back to the light heavyweight division and to boxing," Steward said Thursday. "I am not interested in winning decisions. I'm concussion crazy. I only want Chad to win by knockouts and I know that's what he wants to do, too. HBO's investment in Chad is going to pay off big dividends and his stock will be a strong buy in 2011, especially after he destroys Pascal in their rematch."

At least Chad was smart enough to realize there was a problem. But Chad as an aggressive banger? I'm really not sure Chad's problem is Eddie Mustafa, but I guess we'll see. And as I said, at least Chad is acknowledging a problem. I hope Paul Williams is watching.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:22 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5970686

At least Chad was smart enough to realize there was a problem. But Chad as an aggressive banger? I'm really not sure Chad's problem is Eddie Mustafa, but I guess we'll see. And as I said, at least Chad is acknowledging a problem. I hope Paul Williams is watching.

Chad has 3 problems: 1-issues outside the ring, mainly financial; 2-Inactivity-he fights so damn little. Win or lose a fight and he is guaranteed to sit on his couch for 6 months; 3-He is naturally passive. Watch his 4 fights against Johnson and Tarver. He takes whole rounds off. He takes parts of rounds off(hey I won the first 2 mins of this round big, I can just kill the last 60 seconds by doing some keep away). He wants to get ahead on the cards and then kill the clock against top competition. Against Pascal, he was obviously down after 5 rounds but didn't show urgency.

I hate to say this, but if Steward, "Wladized" Dawson, it would work best. Get Dawson just to throw a stiff jab. Don't go straight back, and hold on the inside. It would make him more boring, but the way he is mentally that is probably best for his career long-term.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:24 pm

captainanddew wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5970686

Chad has 3 problems: 1-issues outside the ring, mainly financial; 2-Inactivity-he fights so damn little. Win or lose a fight and he is guaranteed to sit on his couch for 6 months; 3-He is naturally passive. Watch his 4 fights against Johnson and Tarver. He takes whole rounds off. He takes parts of rounds off(hey I won the first 2 mins of this round big, I can just kill the last 60 seconds by doing some keep away). He wants to get ahead on the cards and then kill the clock against top competition. Against Pascal, he was obviously down after 5 rounds but didn't show urgency.

I hate to say this, but if Steward, "Wladized" Dawson, it would work best. Get Dawson just to throw a stiff jab. Don't go straight back, and hold on the inside. It would make him more boring, but the way he is mentally that is probably best for his career long-term.

See that's kinda what I thought too.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:30 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

See that's kinda what I thought too.

After his loss to Pascal, I pulled out my recordings of his fights vs Johnson and Tarver and figured he is just a boring non aggressive guy. Why not just be as boring and efficient as hell. Wlad is that guy alot of the time. Of course, Dawson has less excuses for being boring as guys aren't literally running around the ring refusing to exchange every round (like they most often do with Wlad).
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:41 pm

captainanddew wrote:

You mean becoming extremely efficent and maximizing his gifts? Destroying all challengers in his path? Dawson can only hope.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:23 pm

Chad better get ready for plenty of this

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:45 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Chad better get ready for plenty of this

Dawson changes trainers like most fighters change trunks so I don't know if he has the mindset or if Stewards motivation tactics will help him or discourage him.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:16 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Dawson changes trainers like most fighters change trunks so I don't know if he has the mindset or if Stewards motivation tactics will help him or discourage him.

Good point

I wonder who he fights next, nobody wants to see him in there vs Pascal again

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:23 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

Good point

I wonder who he fights next, nobody wants to see him in there vs Pascal again

Doesn't he have a rematch clause?
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:46 pm

He does, but reports say HBO isnt interested and Showtime would rather make Hopkins-Pascal II

Id hope to see Cloud vs Dawson come through bc of it
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:04 pm

gomez1012 wrote:He does, but reports say HBO isnt interested and Showtime would rather make Hopkins-Pascal II

Id hope to see Cloud vs Dawson come through bc of it

Well what the fuck? I thought Dawson was fighting Pascal and that's what he was waiting for? If he doesn't make the fight with Cloud he should quit for good.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:15 pm

Strange shit indeed...
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:57 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Strange shit indeed...

Fuck this shit. They have the opportunity to make another tourney at another weight class and they're allowing this to happen. Fuck Showtime and HBO for that matter. These are good quality fights that need to happen. Lightheavy is a glory division for christsake.

Anyway my rant is over, how was your New Year?
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:08 pm

LOL @ the rant, shit Chad has no one to blame but himself.

Waiting for an HBO/Showtime payday when your not a draw or even a fan friendly fighter is a very dumb move.

My New Years was good man. Kept it low key at home, taking shots of Cabo Wabo until midnight with my wife and some friends. You?

Thing that bugs me on NYE, all the local channels show the NY Ball Drop at midnight. No other NYE event or show. WTF? That shit happened 3 hrs ago??
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next