The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unemployed and the retired should serve jury duty

+3
Tobe
gomez1012
hardcorebee24
7 posters

Go down

Unemployed and the retired should serve jury duty Empty Unemployed and the retired should serve jury duty

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:42 pm

And get paid for it. I've been sitting here at 360 Adams St. in Brooklyn Heights waiting to sit on the case I was assigned to for three hours and forty minutes. Why am I here? The unemployment rate is 10 percent why can't those who are unemployed be made to serve? This is a waste of my time. Anyone have thoughts or conclusions?

BTW in Kings County you can't get out of it anymore. If you can read you serve.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Unemployed and the retired should serve jury duty Empty Re: Unemployed and the retired should serve jury duty

Post  gomez1012 Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:05 pm

+1

I dump my jury duty notices
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Unemployed and the retired should serve jury duty Empty Re: Unemployed and the retired should serve jury duty

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:56 pm

gomez1012 wrote:+1

I dump my jury duty notices

In BK they send the Marshalls after you if you do that. I know people in Queens, Manhattan, Long Island etc that throw their notices away with no real recourse. For some reason in BK they come after you.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:58 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
In BK they send the Marshalls after you if you do that. I know people in Queens, Manhattan, Long Island etc that throw their notices away with no real recourse. For some reason in BK they come after you.

Damn that sucks!

I used to put full time student and send them back, then just started trashing them lol
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:01 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

Damn that sucks!

I used to put full time student and send them back, then just started trashing them lol

My father in law was dumping them for years and two years ago they got his ass. He now has to serve everytime he's summoned. If you go once and get picked like I have there is a four year berevement. In Jersey it's tied to your license at the DMV so if you don't respond they suspend your shit.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:08 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
My father in law was dumping them for years and two years ago they got his ass. He now has to serve everytime he's summoned. If you go once and get picked like I have there is a four year berevement. In Jersey it's tied to your license at the DMV so if you don't respond they suspend your shit.

Damn! That might be me soon.

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:10 pm

I hear where you're coming from on that, but to me it sort of violates the notion of a "jury of your peers" if you have to be judged by only the umemployed or retired. Not exactly the best pool to choose from for certain cases. I've never been summoned, thankfully.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:17 pm

Tobe wrote:I hear where you're coming from on that, but to me it sort of violates the notion of a "jury of your peers" if you have to be judged by only the umemployed or retired. Not exactly the best pool to choose from for certain cases. I've never been summoned, thankfully.

Inmates? lol
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:23 pm

Tobe wrote:I hear where you're coming from on that, but to me it sort of violates the notion of a "jury of your peers" if you have to be judged by only the umemployed or retired. Not exactly the best pool to choose from for certain cases. I've never been summoned, thankfully.

Ten percent of the country is unemployed, most not by choice. I figure those who are unemployed by choice aren't likely to show up for jury duty anyhow. As it is now the unemployed and retired have to serve. What makes someone unemplyed or retired not a peer? Unemployed people come from all different backgrounds and races etc. Why not allow them to earn a little more money and sit here on a jury instead of someone like me who is already gainfully employed?
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:30 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:

Ten percent of the country is unemployed, most not by choice. I figure those who are unemployed by choice aren't likely to show up for jury duty anyhow. As it is now the unemployed and retired have to serve. What makes someone unemplyed or retired not a peer? Unemployed people come from all different backgrounds and races etc. Why not allow them to earn a little more money and sit here on a jury instead of someone like me who is already gainfully employed?

First, retired people are usually of a certain demographic (i.e. old) that makes them not peers of certain defendants (e.g. a young mother) and might influence their decisions in some cases.

Also, unemployment itself does impact people all across the spectrum (especially today) but if someone is umemployed that too is going to influence their opinions on certain cases (e.g. white collar crime, fraud, labour disputes, etc.) so might prejudice them.

In the end the only fair jury can be one that's representative of a community as a whole, so it can certainly include SOME retired or unemployed people, but really should never be ONLY those people.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:41 pm

Tobe wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

First, retired people are usually of a certain demographic (i.e. old) that makes them not peers of certain defendants (e.g. a young mother) and might influence their decisions in some cases.

Also, unemployment itself does impact people all across the spectrum (especially today) but if someone is umemployed that too is going to influence their opinions on certain cases (e.g. white collar crime, fraud, labour disputes, etc.) so might prejudice them.

In the end the only fair jury can be one that's representative of a community as a whole, so it can certainly include SOME retired or unemployed people, but really should never be ONLY those people.

I wholeheartedly (sp) disagree with you. There is an interview process conducted by lawyers from each side to see who is fit to serve BEFORE you even hear about the case. After they choose you are mandated back to court to sit jury. They have no idea who you are what you've done or where you've been. You fill out a questionaire with blanket background info. That's it. They ahve no idea if you're unemployed employed a citizen speak english, deaf, blind etc. (I stated the last two because there was a deaf blind woman in my jury pool). It's a matter of who the lawyers choose and who they see fit. The way you describe it is very romantic and true to the basis of jury selection but it's nonsense because the jury of peers is selected by the Lawyers who are trying the case and their judgement. If you were to just shuffle the ages of those who are madated (unemployed and retired) you'd get the same "Jury of Peers". It's rigged and a joke.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:46 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Tobe wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

I wholeheartedly (sp) disagree with you. There is an interview process conducted by lawyers from each side to see who is fit to serve BEFORE you even hear about the case. After they choose you are mandated back to court to sit jury. They have no idea who you are what you've done or where you've been. You fill out a questionaire with blanket background info. That's it. They ahve no idea if you're unemployed employed a citizen speak english, deaf, blind etc. (I stated the last two because there was a deaf blind woman in my jury pool). It's a matter of who the lawyers choose and who they see fit. The way you describe it is very romantic and true to the basis of jury selection but it's nonsense because the jury of peers is selected by the Lawyers who are trying the case and their judgement. If you were to just shuffle the ages of those who are madated (unemployed and retired) you'd get the same "Jury of Peers". It's rigged and a joke.

Right on, I get that the lawyers are going to make the actual selection once people show up, but I guess I'm missing your original point. Are you saying that ONLY retired and unemployed people should be even summoned in the first place? That cuts into your pool before lawyers ever get the chance to make their picks.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:48 pm

I guess not all. What Im saying is the unemployed should be mandated to jury duty as lo g as they collect unemployment. Like if you're on unemployment or unemployed you should have to serve as often as necessary and be compensated for your trouble. If you are retired you can make yourself available for jury duty if you choose and be compensated for it as well. Forty dollars a day is a joke, up the payment for these folks and allow them to serve as much as they want. After this case ill be done for four years. If I was unemployed id want to be there id I could earn some more scratch.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:55 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:And get paid for it. I've been sitting here at 360 Adams St. in Brooklyn Heights waiting to sit on the case I was assigned to for three hours and forty minutes. Why am I here? The unemployment rate is 10 percent why can't those who are unemployed be made to serve? This is a waste of my time. Anyone have thoughts or conclusions?

Fuck I got my notice for Jury duty on Monday. This is my first time.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:59 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:I guess not all. What Im saying is the unemployed should be mandated to jury duty as lo g as they collect unemployment. Like if you're on unemployment or unemployed you should have to serve as often as necessary and be compensated for your trouble. If you are retired you can make yourself available for jury duty if you choose and be compensated for it as well. Forty dollars a day is a joke, up the payment for these folks and allow them to serve as much as they want. After this case ill be done for four years. If I was unemployed id want to be there id I could earn some more scratch.

Join the Rent Is Too Damn Party and instill this!
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:59 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:And get paid for it. I've been sitting here at 360 Adams St. in Brooklyn Heights waiting to sit on the case I was assigned to for three hours and forty minutes. Why am I here? The unemployment rate is 10 percent why can't those who are unemployed be made to serve? This is a waste of my time. Anyone have thoughts or conclusions?

Fuck I got my notice for Jury duty on Monday. This is my first time.

If your school pays you then you're made in the shade. Anywhere from five days or more away from school with similiar hours.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:02 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:I guess not all. What Im saying is the unemployed should be mandated to jury duty as lo g as they collect unemployment. Like if you're on unemployment or unemployed you should have to serve as often as necessary and be compensated for your trouble. If you are retired you can make yourself available for jury duty if you choose and be compensated for it as well. Forty dollars a day is a joke, up the payment for these folks and allow them to serve as much as they want. After this case ill be done for four years. If I was unemployed id want to be there id I could earn some more scratch.

Join the Rent Is Too Damn Party and instill this!

No fucking joke Gomez I saw that guy on Thursday the 18th the first day I had to report before they assigned me to my case. Check it out online. His party got recognized for future ballots.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:15 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:No fucking joke Gomez I saw that guy on Thursday the 18th the first day I had to report before they assigned me to my case. Check it out online. His party got recognized for future ballots.

Endonde?

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:41 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:No fucking joke Gomez I saw that guy on Thursday the 18th the first day I had to report before they assigned me to my case. Check it out online. His party got recognized for future ballots.

Endonde?

http://www.google.com/m/url?ei=TSD4TLjPF5-glwepicsE&q=http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/damn_elex_board_lweVaZ5Lxsr0YtJ5l0TviK&ved=0CBgQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNHC9y4aG9ossfzJp4xJKJjLbmzRmw
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:44 pm

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:55 am

gomez1012 wrote:

Aint no quit in him, he's going all out

No doubt he'd get some kind of support if he ran for prez

That guy is awesome. I love the "karate expert" thing and his gloves. cheers
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:24 pm

i don't think it would be right to just have people of only one type of social standing to conduct jury service. it should be made up of a mixed demographic. Jury service is inconvenient but it's part of citizenship. it would be wrong to make up a jury of solely unemployed or retired people as it may lead to biased judging. you'll get over it when the case is through

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:54 am

I absolutely disagree with this. This could only work if there was a better jury screening process to make sure potential jurors were qualified for the job. I think everyone should be put to work, but I don't know that letting unemployed and elderly people decide the fate of people's lives is the right job.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Unemployed and the retired should serve jury duty Empty Ideas that will change America

Post  NurseCindi Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:49 pm

First of all...stop all the 'flag day' presidents day' whatever 'brownie day' the government employess get off with pay. Let them use the same paid holidays the general working population gets. They get an average of 8 days of paid days off more than the average working person. Why should we pay for that? Add up every government worker getting 'flag day, president's day, Colombus Day...ect...on YOUR paycheck Dollar!...It's millions. A government worker gets Veteran's Day off? Why am I paying for this? Shouldn't Veteran's get Veterans day off with pay?

Second..If you cannot guarantee my social security will be there...then stop taking it out of my check. It was an agreement. Now that my generatrion (40 somethings) are paying for the babyboomers...they have changed our retirement dates to age 72 for full investment. Bullshit. If it's not going to be there...stop taking it out of my check. Actually, after the 'babyboomers' are gone, we should have a surplus... so all this is ridiculous. I am ready to get a lawyer that agrees with me, and stop this from being taken out of my check, until the government can give me some guarantee it will be there. That was the agreement. I didn't work the last 32 years, to have this crap pulled on me. I am ready to take the government on, on these issues. -Hard working Nurse

NurseCindi

Back to top Go down

Unemployed and the retired should serve jury duty Empty Unemployed should be called up for jury duty

Post  NurseCindi Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:55 pm

Yes, they should. Everyone is yelling about the high level of unemployment....so keep pulling people away from jobs for jury duty? This is ridiculous. The unemployed should be called up first for jury selection. It pays something...and the working cannot leave their jobs.

NurseCindi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down