The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Welterweight Tournament (Elite 8)

+3
Frank
powerpuncher
freakzilla
7 posters

Go down

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Welterweight Tournament (Elite 8) Empty The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Welterweight Tournament (Elite 8)

Post  freakzilla Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:34 am

Just vote for who you think would win each fight if both fighters were at their peak in a 15 round fight.

1. Sugar Ray Robinson vs Joe Walcott
2. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Kid Gavilan
3. Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather Jr
4. Manny Pacquiao vs Tommy Hearns
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Welterweight Tournament (Elite 8) Empty Re: The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Welterweight Tournament (Elite 8)

Post  powerpuncher Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:59 am

robinson-again, wlacott was 5'1. robinson was pretty long. robinson would KO him.

leonard-very tough fight to pick. i think that it would be a super entertaining fight. gavilan's speed, power and chin would create tons of problems for leonard. on the other side, i believe that leonards speed and accuracy would be too much at times for gavilan. i take leonard by SD.

armstrong-this is actually a very fair fight when it comes to weight because both came up from lighter weight classes. i think that floyd definitely has some good rounds but floyds shoulder roll off the ropes is only going to work so much. armstrong will land shots no matter what. i dont care what anybody says though, floyd may duck fighters or whatever, but he trains hard and has heart in the ring. i think that armstrong wins a decision in a 15 rounder with floyd giving him some trouble along the way.

hearns-hearns will KO pac. hearns will definitely play it safe and keep pac on the end of his jab. pac wont be able to get on the inside and will eventually get countered coming in with one of hearns devastating right hands and pac wont know what hit him.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Welterweight Tournament (Elite 8) Empty Re: The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Welterweight Tournament (Elite 8)

Post  Frank Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:12 am

2. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Kid Gavilan (Interesting fight. If you guys want to see a really action packed fight, look up Kid Gavilan defending his title vs. Gil Turner. Turner had all the speed in the world but little movement and ended up getting knocked out. Leonard has movement and would probably beat the Kid by decision in a good fight.)

3. Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather Jr (Henry chases him down and knocks him out around the tenth round. What the hell is Mayweather doing in this tournament?? LOL)

4. Manny Pacquiao vs Tommy Hearns (I won't comment because this is about the worst possible match for Manny. Why Tommy? Why not any of the others? LOL)

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:55 am

Frank wrote:1. Sugar Ray Robinson vs Joe Walcott

2. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Kid Gavilan (Interesting fight. If you guys want to see a really action packed fight, look up Kid Gavilan defending his title vs. Gil Turner. Turner had all the speed in the world but little movement and ended up getting knocked out. Leonard has movement and would probably beat the Kid by decision in a good fight.)

3. Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather Jr (Henry chases him down and knocks him out around the tenth round. What the hell is Mayweather doing in this tournament?? LOL)

4. Manny Pacquiao vs Tommy Hearns (I won't comment because this is about the worst possible match for Manny. Why Tommy? Why not any of the others? LOL)
+1 no need to add anything.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:06 am

You should have matched up Floyd and Pac lol
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:08 am

Manny had no business being in this tournament to begin with. How can you ask "why is Floyd in this tournament?" When his welterweight resume is better than Manny's?
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:15 am

SlickMoney wrote:

Manny had no business being in this tournament to begin with. How can you ask "why is Floyd in this tournament?" When his welterweight resume is better than Manny's?
That question was already brought up in the first thread.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:22 am

kbyte wrote:You should have matched up Floyd and Pac lol

I had that fight originally but I changed it because I didn't want it to turn into another Floyd vs Pac thread.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:23 am

freakzilla wrote:

I had that fight originally but I changed it because I didn't want it to turn into another Floyd vs Pac thread.
Very smart idea
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:33 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

Very smart idea

Lol, yeah I think so.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:39 am

freakzilla wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

Very smart idea

Lol, yeah I think so.
Besides it would have been just me vs the rest of the board...Again LOL
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
freakzilla wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

Very smart idea

Lol, yeah I think so.
Besides it would have been just me vs the rest of the board...Again LOL

Lol.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:25 pm

2. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Kid Gavilan
3. Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather Jr
4. Manny Pacquiao vs Tommy Hearns
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:

And it wasn't answerd. Dmar did a good job breaking down Pac's 147 resume. Nothing special. Guys like Cuevas, Benitez, or even Oscar were more deserving.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:04 pm

SlickMoney wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:

And it wasn't answerd. Dmar did a good job breaking down Pac's 147 resume. Nothing special. Guys like Cuevas, Benitez, or even Oscar were more deserving.

1. Like I said, you can never get a consensus top 16.
2. None of them would've ended up winning the tourney anyway so no point making a big deal out of it.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:16 pm

SlickMoney wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:

Oscar to me is underrated as a fighter. What if he gets the win vs tito and doesnt get robbed? His resume really isnt bad.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:58 pm

freakzilla wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:

2. None of them would've ended up winning the tourney anyway so no point making a big deal out of it.
Pernell Whitaker may have had a shot. One of the greatest fighters of all time without a doubt.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:59 pm

Sugar Ray Robinson is the winner. Why even bother with the welters?!

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:23 pm

boxinglawyer wrote: Sugar Ray Robinson is the winner. Why even bother with the welters?!
True LOL
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:05 pm

boxinglawyer wrote:
freakzilla wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:

Pernell Whitaker may have had a shot. One of the greatest fighters of all time without a doubt.

He only won about 9 fights as a Welterweight and didn't beat any major stars. His peak wasn't at Welterweight.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:07 pm

1. Sugar Ray Robinson 4-0 Joe Walcott
2. Sugar Ray Leonard 4-0 Kid Gavilan
3. Henry Armstrong 3-1 Floyd Mayweather Jr
4. Manny Pacquiao 0-4 Tommy Hearns
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down