The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daniel Cormier Wants A UFC Title Shot If He Beats Frank Mir

5 posters

Go down

Daniel Cormier Wants A UFC Title Shot If He Beats Frank Mir Empty Daniel Cormier Wants A UFC Title Shot If He Beats Frank Mir

Post  freakzilla Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:29 am

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/8/14/3241640/daniel-cormier-ufc-title-shot-frank-mir

Daniel Cormier went from not even being included in the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix to being the last man standing in the Strikeforce heavyweight division. His run of dominant wins over Antonio Silva and Josh Barnett has brought him to a #4 ranking in the SB Nation / USA Today Consensus rankings.

Cormier will now face Frank Mir in a one time only "UFC vs. Strikeforce" fight before moving to the UFC permanently. And Cormier thinks that a win over Mir should put him in line for a title shot at either heavyweight or light heavyweight (if teammate Cain Velasquez holds the title).

Via MMA Fight Corner:

"If I come over to the UFC as the number one contender and Cain's the heavyweight champion, then I have some things to think about. But if somebody else is holding that belt, then yea, I'm gonna stay up at heavyweight."

Daniel added that when he does enter the UFC, his name should be near the top of the list for title contenders."I want to throw my name into the hat, if I'm able to get past Frank Mir," he said. Then he made sure to remind the UFC brass that he's on his way to come make some noise in the organization. "Hey guys don't forget about me over here. I've been chuggin along and if I get through this fight, that's three top ten guys in a row. I should be in line for a belt. I should get a shot at either of those divisions."

If Cormier can safely make 205, I think a fight with Jon Jones is much more interesting than a fight with Junior dos Santos. While Jones has much more advanced striking, Cormier has good speed and power on his punches. Cormier also has much better wrestling than Jones.

Either way, if Cormier gets past Mir, there are plenty of great fights waiting for him in the UFC.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Daniel Cormier Wants A UFC Title Shot If He Beats Frank Mir Empty Re: Daniel Cormier Wants A UFC Title Shot If He Beats Frank Mir

Post  gomez1012 Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:33 am

Cormier vs Dos Santos should happen
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Daniel Cormier Wants A UFC Title Shot If He Beats Frank Mir Empty Re: Daniel Cormier Wants A UFC Title Shot If He Beats Frank Mir

Post  UBeeg9cats Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:46 pm

I see no problem with giving him a shot. Winning the GP might not have meant as much as it was supposed to but it was still 2 quality wins over top 15 heavyweights. Add in Mir and he will definitely have earned the shot. It has to be him or Overeem and I still don't know how I feel about Overeem re-entering the hunt.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:20 am

Overeem should be forced to undergo the VADA style testing. No method is perfect, but he's a proven cheat.

I'd rather see Dos Santos fight Cormier than Velasquez again.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:38 am

It will be Velasquez, Overeem then Daniel.

Dos Santos is itching to fight Overeem but the Nevada suspension means it will be a Cain rematch next.

I think Cormier should face Werdum after Mir.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:13 pm

he isn't making 205.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down