The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strikeforce: HW Final Daniel Cormier vs. Josh Barnett set for May 19th

Go down

Strikeforce: HW Final Daniel Cormier vs. Josh Barnett set for May 19th Empty Strikeforce: HW Final Daniel Cormier vs. Josh Barnett set for May 19th

Post  Guest Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:33 am

Josh Barnett and Daniel Cormier will meet May 19 in the Strikeforce: World Grand Prix Heavyweight Tournament final, the promotion announced Saturday night on Showtime.

The fight's location has yet to be determined.

Barnett (31-5) earned a spot in the final with wins over Brett Rogers and Sergei Kharitonov.

Cormier (9-0) defeated Jeff Monson by unanimous decision in a Grand Prix reserve bout. As a replacement for Alistair Overeem, he registered a first-round knockout of Antonio Silva on Sept. 10.

During the win over Silva, however, Cormier suffered a broken right hand. The injury forced the bout with Barnett to be placed on hold.

"It (the right hand) is finally healed, I'm ready to fight," Cormier said. "Replacement or no replacement, I was given an opportunity and I took it. Now I am fighting the biggest fight of my career.

"I can't wait."

Barnett-Cormier will be the last heavyweight bout under the Strikeforce banner. Fighters in the division now compete in UFC.

Both UFC and Strikeforce are owned by Zuffa, LLC.

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/7643931/josh-barnett-daniel-cormier-meet-19-strikeforce-world-grand-prix-heavyweight-tournament-final

Back to top Go down

Strikeforce: HW Final Daniel Cormier vs. Josh Barnett set for May 19th Empty Re: Strikeforce: HW Final Daniel Cormier vs. Josh Barnett set for May 19th

Post  freakzilla Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:42 am

Should be a good fight.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down