The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golden Boy announces CBS boxing deal ‎

+2
Shaun
GrantZilla
6 posters

Go down

Golden Boy announces CBS boxing deal  ‎ Empty Golden Boy announces CBS boxing deal ‎

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:09 pm

No Olympic boxers have been sighed yet, but Golden Boy Promotions, Showtime and CBS Sports have announced that they’ll team up to showcase standout boxers from the 2012 Summer Olympic Games making their professional debuts live on the CBS Television Network. The initial live boxing broadcasts, which will be produced by SHOWTIME Sports, include two dates, Sunday, October 14 and Saturday, December 15 with additional dates to follow.

“It is a great pleasure for Golden Boy Promotions to be working with CBS on this exciting network television opportunity for these young athletes,” said Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. “It is a chance of a lifetime and a guaranteed career jumpstart for some of these fighters to be able to make their professional debuts in front of millions of viewers on the CBS Television network.”

http://tinyurl.com/ccetbf4
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Golden Boy announces CBS boxing deal  ‎ Empty Re: Golden Boy announces CBS boxing deal ‎

Post  Shaun Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:20 pm

Love it, but hope they mix in a legitimate main event for what will be a mismatch for anyone starting a pro boxing career.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Golden Boy announces CBS boxing deal  ‎ Empty Re: Golden Boy announces CBS boxing deal ‎

Post  nano212 Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:17 pm

??? So I guess Top Rank, Main Events or Lou are not going to sign any fighters off the Olympics? This is GREAT for boxing in general to get back on CBS but sounds a little iffy to me. So if TR likes a fighter and so does GBP I guess Oscar will be like instead of a duffel bag full of cash I can get you on CBS for your first fight?
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:53 am

nano212 wrote:??? So I guess Top Rank, Main Events or Lou are not going to sign any fighters off the Olympics? This is GREAT for boxing in general to get back on CBS but sounds a little iffy to me. So if TR likes a fighter and so does GBP I guess Oscar will be like instead of a duffel bag full of cash I can get you on CBS for your first fight?

Why I hate out-put deals. Now that GB gone to Showtime and put one of their own as the head of Showtime Sports, this kind of shit is to be expected.

That said, I'll take some fights being finally back on network TV.

But I know what GB and Showtime are doing. As you said Nano, GB will lure prospects in with the Showtime/CBS deal just like they did when they out the out-put deal with HBO. Showtime benifits by getting these guys in a nice contract that'll keep them away from HBO, and some publicity for them on their big brother station CBS.

I do fear the days of long term contracts with fighters to HBO and Showtime is in the near future. Just like there was in the late 90s. That was the worst era of boxing. GB-TR fued was nothing compared to HBO and Showtime one. Great fights were never made because fighters were under rival contracts.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:35 am

it will be great if you can get olympians on national tv for their debuts and hopefully for some more future fights. maybe we could get some more household names in boxing. im not expecting it to really happen though. maybe they will get their debut on cbs and then wont fight on national tv again which would defeat the whole purpose of it.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:23 am

Good point. I want to be excited and optimistic about this. But it's hard to be right now. I don't trust GB or Top Rank or anyone in power in boxing right now to do anything that's actually good for the sport.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:24 am

this is good and bad. good that boxers will get exposure early in their career.

bad that it appears to be an exclusive deal with golden boy. as has been said, oscar is going to hold it over all the olympians that if they sign with GB, they get on network tv in their first fight.

also bad for fighters signing with golden boy. golden boy isn't the greatest at developing talent from scratch.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:42 am

Well that is misleading Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:53 am

Golden Boy does a lot of talking about making stars; this is one of the few ways they could actually be involved in making that happen.

The trick (as was noted) is going to be how they're matched. Olympic guys usually aren't TV friendly right away, so they'll need the right guys in there with them to make this a good showcase.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down