The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NBC Sports renews contract with Main Events

+5
captainanddew
hillsicc303
Rum Capital
GrantZilla
powerpuncher
9 posters

Go down

NBC Sports renews contract with Main Events Empty NBC Sports renews contract with Main Events

Post  Guest Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Dan Rafael
Good news for #boxing fans: @NBCSN renewed @Main_Events' 'Fight Night' thru 2014. At least 12 more cards, up to 16. 2 maybe on regular NBC.

Back to top Go down

NBC Sports renews contract with Main Events Empty Re: NBC Sports renews contract with Main Events

Post  powerpuncher Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:46 am

these things are only good if they produce good fights. they always talk about this and that and then when they actually put on a fight, its a fight between someone washed up against a nobody.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

NBC Sports renews contract with Main Events Empty Re: NBC Sports renews contract with Main Events

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:53 am

powerpuncher wrote:these things are only good if they produce good fights. they always talk about this and that and then when they actually put on a fight, its a fight between someone washed up against a nobody.

Yup. What mind blowing match-ups has Main Events given us with their NBC deal?

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:56 pm

Adamek vs. Chambers on paper was a good and a legit fight.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:02 pm

wtf you guys are NEVERRRRRR satisfied. I for one have actually enjoyed EVERY card they have put together. The fact that they are renewing the contract says that people are ACTUALLY WATCHING.
one of the best moments for me this year was prenice brewer's meltdown and zab judah demoslishing the up and coming paris.
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  hillsicc303 Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:27 am

I've actually enjoyed most of the NBC fights. Are they the greatest? No. But they could have been a lot worse. Hell, look at some of the crap HBO has put on thus far this year, and in recent years as a matter of fact...

hillsicc303

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:41 am

Ali wrote:Adamek vs. Chambers on paper was a good and a legit fight.
any HW fight really isnt that good on paper. the only HW fight im actually excited for is chisora vs haye and thats only because of the hatred between the two.

i dont think it helps boxing one bit to put random fights on NBC. it would help a lot to put some contenders fighting each other at least.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:28 am

I don't know how much main events is getting paid, but they are putting on decent fights. It isn't promised to be an HBO or Showtime Championship boxing level.

Judah vs Paris
adamek vs chambers
gabriel rosado vs powell and soto karass
bryant jennings vs byarm, liakhovich, and collins

Judah is still a top 10 junior welter
Adamek and Chambers still top 10 HWs (even though that isn't saying much)
Rosado is a FNF level fighter that is in good fights
Jennings is a decent HW prospect

I would be happy to watch these guys fight again as long as they are in matchups that look pretty good on paper.

These are guys that would be able to have some of their fights televised on other stations. When they are being shown on NBC, then they don't take up slots elsewhere and we get more fights.

Anyone have any idea what the budget is for these fights vs FNF????

The other thing is these fights are in venues that aren't huge and they have a good amount of fans packed in there (because they are putting the fights in the areas where the fighters have fans-what a concept-wish golden boy and top rank would always follow that rule).

This isn't Versus where Top Rank force fed us horrible fights. These are decent fights and they are enjoyable, pretty good professional fighters. They aren't trying to compete with HBO, Showtime, or Epix. They are giving us FNF or slightly above level fights and we should be happy.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:32 am

we need to be more positive as fans.

NBC isn't looking to compete with the big boys. They are just trying to put on decent fights with guys that are pretty good. To that end they have been successful.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:51 pm

captainanddew wrote:we need to be more positive as fans.

NBC isn't looking to compete with the big boys. They are just trying to put on decent fights with guys that are pretty good. To that end they have been successful.

100% agree. We want fights on network television and/or more channels yet we complain that it isn't high level once someone tries it out. No company is going to go from no boxing to $5+ million cards. It is a process and Main Events has done a good job outside of trying to resurrect Toney for a fight.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Far Dan stated the budget is more than FNF and Showbox but not more than Showtime Championship Boxing.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:23 am

UBeeg9cats wrote:
captainanddew wrote:we need to be more positive as fans.

100% agree. We want fights on network television and/or more channels yet we complain that it isn't high level once someone tries it out. No company is going to go from no boxing to $5+ million cards. It is a process and Main Events has done a good job outside of trying to resurrect Toney for a fight.
...ubeeg excellent point.i believe the original deal with main events averaged 100 000 per show.they did extremly well with that budget.more then friday night fights which average about 50 000 per show from what i read but far less then showbox and hbo and showtime.nbc now upped the budget because they like maybe what they saw and will attempt to give 2 fights on regular nbc as a first step towards more if it generates interest.the regular nbc 2 fights i would think the money for that could be enough for some name in there prime type of fighters from perhaps the lower classes from middle on down..
grants idea of a weekly or even a bi monthly fight during the summer on lets say a weeknight is a decent idea.the bottom line is folks still have to want to watch it.regular folks not hardcore fans and to watch it on a ongoing basis..thats the 64 dollar question.is that possible.boxing has to clean up its act also.we know the problems confushing even fans of the sport with a zillion champs a zillion boxing commisions etc etc..that can and will turn off the general public..if all goes well i can see 12 fights a year in regular nbc.high profile fights that would be on hbo or showtime.thats the best we can hope for and thats pretty good.
if all does not go well we will have what we got now.its a win win type of thing if done right.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:39 pm

I'm not complaining about NBC wanting more boxing. I'm just not a fan of out-put deals with a single promoter. I didn't like it when HBO did it with Golden Boy and now Showtime seems to be doing it with them.

Main Events has a weak roster. Are they going to just keep recycling Zab and Adamek and Jennings for every show? Jennings is like when Top Rank kep putting Tye Fields on with their out put deal with Versus. Except Jennings is more skilled. How good he really is who knows.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:32 pm

GrantZilla wrote:I'm not complaining about NBC wanting more boxing. I'm just not a fan of out-put deals with a single promoter. I didn't like it when HBO did it with Golden Boy and now Showtime seems to be doing it with them.

Main Events has a weak roster. Are they going to just keep recycling Zab and Adamek and Jennings for every show? Jennings is like when Top Rank kep putting Tye Fields on with their out put deal with Versus. Except Jennings is more skilled. How good he really is who knows.

Theyre roster may improve with this deal.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:48 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:I'm not complaining about NBC wanting more boxing. I'm just not a fan of out-put deals with a single promoter. I didn't like it when HBO did it with Golden Boy and now Showtime seems to be doing it with them.

Theyre roster may improve with this deal.

I agree. I think NBC has done alright with Main Events. Not too many cards thus far and they had decent fights. But as grant pointed out they can't just keep trotting Jennings, Rosado, Judah, and Adamek out there.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  hillsicc303 Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:36 am

I agree. I think NBC has done alright with Main Events. Not too many cards thus far and they had decent fights. But as grant pointed out they can't just keep trotting Jennings, Rosado, Judah, and Adamek out there.

Hopefully this extra avenue of exposure draws other promoters to these cards, and they start cross matching some of their fighters more on these cards...

hillsicc303

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:32 am

hillsicc303 wrote:

Hopefully this extra avenue of exposure draws other promoters to these cards, and they start cross matching some of their fighters more on these cards...

I'd love to see DiBella put some of his Broadway Boxing prospects up against some Main Events guys in a cross promotion.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:11 am

It is great news that NBC is going to continue this series. Of course it's not going to be top-shelf talent, but the production is professional and they're putting together decent entertaining TV cards. What more do you want? Pleased to see it's getting some viewers as well, nothing but good for the sport.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down