The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst decision I ever saw was....

+2
koolkc107
Frank
6 posters

Go down

Worst decision I ever saw was.... Empty Worst decision I ever saw was....

Post  Frank Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:46 pm

Leonza Barber vs. Anthony Hembrick

This fight took place in the early 90s on "USA Tuesday Night Fights." Great show, horrible decision.

Barber was a Light H. champ managed by Manny Steward. He took on Hembrick. Hembrick won every round minus the one he got knocked down in. He controlled all the action and virtually destroyed his opponent. The decision went to Barber.

Sure, the Bradley decision was the worst big fight decision I ever witnessed, though I thought I would mention this fight out of respect for Hembrick. Those of you who have ever fought or observed another boxer getting in shape know the price these guys pay in the gym. To rob them of something they earned so decisively (Especially in Hebrick’s case) is an atrocity at best.

Frankie Randall vs. Julio Caesar Chavez II

In a major upset, Frankie Randall took Julio’s belt by split decision in their first fight. It was a well scored fight. Then came the rematch.

Of course, those of who saw Frankie Randall stop Julio Caesar Chavez on cuts, then have the cards turned over to the judges rather than award Randall his win and give Chavez a decision he never deserved, may note that as the biggest injustice they’ve ever seen.

The Pac – Bradley decision, while being one of the worst ever scored, can be challenged by other sickening but forgotten events. And while Randall and Hembrick are forgotten, I have a feeling that Pac (Who did manage to get 20 mil plus for the Bradley fight) is on his way to a Mayweather fight that I believe will finally happen.

Any other bad decisions are welcomed in this thread.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Worst decision I ever saw was.... Empty Re: Worst decision I ever saw was....

Post  koolkc107 Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:40 pm

I think it is a matter of context and/or perspective.

I remember watching Ali-Young live as it happened and thinking I'd never seen anyone give the master boxer, Ali, a boxing lesson before. Young was incredible that night and I thought he got robbed. But years later, taking a second look at the fight I can see where the judges might have scored things for Muhammed even though I myself did not agree.

The same goes for Pac-Bradley. Fightnight I thought it was one of the biggest ripoffs in the ring I'd ever seen. A week later watching the rebroadcast, I could see how some rounds- enough to make it close- could be scored for Bradley even though I still had Pac winning comfortably.
koolkc107
koolkc107

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:47 pm

there were not enough close rounds to give bradley the fight.young did beat ali that night and paul williams beat larry holmes comfortably.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:02 pm

dmar5143 wrote:there were not enough close rounds to give bradley the fight.young did beat ali that night and paul williams beat larry holmes comfortably.
Dmar, I'll take your word on that. The late Bert Sugar and nearly everyone that watched that fight agrees with you.

I'll confess that the damn fight is too boring for me to actually score it. No doubt Young got the best of Ali that night, though I always wondered about Young sticking his upper body out of the ropes more than once to avoid a barrage of punches from an Ali who seemed to be coming on. I always wondered what effect that tactic had on the judges decision. What's your take on that?

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  koolkc107 Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:18 pm

Frank wrote:
dmar5143 wrote:there were not enough close rounds to give bradley the fight.young did beat ali that night and paul williams beat larry holmes comfortably.
Dmar, I'll take your word on that. The late Bert Sugar and nearly everyone that watched that fight agrees with you.

I'll confess that the damn fight is too boring for me to actually score it. No doubt Young got the best of Ali that night, though I always wondered about Young sticking his upper body out of the ropes more than once to avoid a barrage of punches from an Ali who seemed to be coming on. I always wondered what effect that tactic had on the judges decision. What's your take on that?

I dont know what Dmar thinks but Frank brings up a great point about some of Young's tactics that night.

As I saw it live, I thought it one of the most brilliant displays of ring generalship I'd ever seen.

Watching it years later, I could see how a judge could find Jimmy's antics a little annoying or undesirable despite how savvy they were.
koolkc107
koolkc107

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:06 pm

frank i also saw that fight live.young a few times ducked alis punches and his head went threw the ropes.i didnt think it was on purpose just the positioning of the body the first time or so.maybe once it was done as a tactic on purpose..the commentators as i remember made a similar comment on how judges may view that.to me it should not make a differnce to award ali the round since career wise he was given many rounds where nothing happened at all..young knew one of the ways to beat ali was to throw the timing of his jab off..like holmes everything has to work of there jab.disrupt it and there in trouble.williams did that to holmes also.like young they won the battle of the jabs and control of the center of the ring.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:18 pm

whitaker vs chavez

and to believe that sulaiman still believes to this day that the draw given to chavez was the bad thing done to him. that is how you know he has no soul.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:13 pm

sulamin has showed us several times over the years he has no heart no soul no decentcy.that just reenforced it captain..by the way jose should be a heart donor for in 81 years its never been used..
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:47 am

Ok I will throw in De la Hoya vs Trinidad. I know that Oscar shouldnt have taken the last half of the fight off but the scorecards were so messed up it was an obvious fix.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:14 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:Ok I will throw in De la Hoya vs Trinidad. I know that Oscar shouldnt have taken the last half of the fight off but the scorecards were so messed up it was an obvious fix.

I haven't watched the fight in years but if my memory isn't going Oscar took the last 3 rounds off. Not the last half.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:23 am

captainanddew wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:Ok I will throw in De la Hoya vs Trinidad. I know that Oscar shouldnt have taken the last half of the fight off but the scorecards were so messed up it was an obvious fix.

I haven't watched the fight in years but if my memory isn't going Oscar took the last 3 rounds off. Not the last half.
my problem with the scoring of that fight is that oscar took a few rounds off, but even in those rounds, he landed some punches while tito chased him around the ring and missed every punch. last time i scored it i had ODLH winning 9-3.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:49 am

powerpuncher wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

my problem with the scoring of that fight is that oscar took a few rounds off, but even in those rounds, he landed some punches while tito chased him around the ring and missed every punch. last time i scored it i had ODLH winning 9-3.
I might be wrong but didnt Jerry Roth give Oscar the last round when he only threw like 4 punches?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:42 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

I might be wrong but didnt Jerry Roth give Oscar the last round when he only threw like 4 punches?
dont know but it wouldnt surprise me.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down