The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An article which should end all speculation about MW

+9
NJBeatdown86
SlickMoney
GrantZilla
Diego408
powerpuncher
hardcorebee24
captainanddew
dmar5143
Frank
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

An article which should end all speculation about MW - Page 2 Empty Re: An article which should end all speculation about MW

Post  captainanddew Thu May 03, 2012 7:23 am

Diego408 wrote:Th get about the same in PPV, Floyd does a little better at the gate, but he gets paid a whole lot more than Pacquiao. What does that say?

where does he get paid alot more. he got 25 guaranteed for ortiz. pac had 22 guaranteed for marquez. they both probably made 30-35 million after everything was counted.

the difference in pay is not large and is really only because Floyd pays GB a fee to promote the fight (probably a million or two), while Arum gets a chunk of Manny's side (which comes off the top), which is substantial.

As for better at the gate-I think you may be off. Pac is likely the bigger live ticket seller. PPVs is where Floyd probably has the slight edge.

You are buying Floyd's arguments: that he gets paid so much more, that he is the bigger live draw, that he is the bigger PPV star.

1-The problem is he isn't backing any of this up with numbers.
2-Even if there is preliminary numbers or guesses, we aren't getting the final numbers for what each "SIDE" made on their fights.

I'm also with Grant. Why do people buy into the idea that Floyd was somehow this huge star. He wasn't. He was just like Pac. An HBO fighter who wasn't doing huge PPVs. Both were doing enough to justify PPV business wise, 250-350k, but neither was a huge star. De La Hoya made each fighter in that respect with their fights.

Floyd's version of arguing is like my 5 yr old son. So and so is true because!!!! My 5 yr old son at least tries to provide something as argument after the because to bolster his often outlandish statements.

Floyd just throws things out there: Manny used PEDs. I get paid so much more than Manny. I'm the bigger ticket seller. I'm the biggest PPV draw of them all. None of this shit is even close.

He isn't providing any substantiation for his claims. He just makes statements and expects people to accept them as true.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

An article which should end all speculation about MW - Page 2 Empty Re: An article which should end all speculation about MW

Post  captainanddew Thu May 03, 2012 7:27 am

Diego408 wrote:Well like DLH would never give a 50-50 to anyone,and now so wouldn't Floyd and he's been vocal about that. Pacquiao makes nothing near what Floyd does per fight and barely makes half of what he would get in a potential Floyd fight. I'm not siding with anyone, but due what Pacquiao usually makes he doesn't deserve half of total revenue. 40million was a great offer. If Pacquaio were to win, he would Probably get the after purse in a rematch.

you act like Floyd is making 50 million a fight and Pac is making 20 million.

floyd vs ortiz-floyd guaranteed 25 million
pac vs marquez iii- pac guaranteed 22 million

both probably ended up making within a few million of each other when all was said and done.

But somehow you think Floyd is this massive cash cow that is almost double Manny.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu May 03, 2012 7:45 am

I'm really sorry I made this thread. LOL I had no idea this was still an issue. The quote from MW came from ESPN and I thought it would end all debate in relation to this fight. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or funny here though I promise I will have no further comment on this issue, at least on the board.

Regardless, I'll make one more comment to the Mayweather fans so you fully understand my position. I'm not saying your guy can't fight. That would be a foolish statement. On the contrary, he's a master ring general. However, this is my view of MW. If he had the opportunity to fight an undefeated Julio Chavez SR. (Not Jr.), when Julio was trying to reach a record of 100 - 0, I don't think he would've taken it. Would Mayweather have won that fight? Absolutely (My opinion). I think he would've won easily, but I'm almost sure he would've never taken the fight. That's MW.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Thu May 03, 2012 9:19 pm

People cant see the forest for the trees. NIETHER guys NEEDS the fight, and NEITHER one is super excited about getting it done anytime soon.
Mayweathers outrageous claims that he is a PPV record-setter are incorrect. If you go by life-time ratings, PAC is the bigger draw. The truth is, NIETHER guy deserves more than the other. The 50/50 split is fair and anyone who argues it isnt, is full of crap and wrong.

A few personal notes.
I would buy the fight to see Pac, the most incredible, once in a life-time fighter I have ever seen in my lifetime. (Remember, I was watching boxing 20 years before many of you were even born). What Pac has done in the sport eclipses what any fighter has done in 50 years. Its amazing.

When they fight, Mayweather will win.

Pac is on the decline, and a rapid one at that.

3 years ago, I would have bet BIG money that Pac won by KO in the first three rounds. He was an absolute match-up nightmare for Mayweather. But that Pac is long gone. He is just too slow, and his legs are too far gone to create those crazy punching angles and freakish power he used to. I am rarely SURE enough about a big fight to place a bet. But I was on this one, and I have posted all the others I ever put big cash on before.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Thu May 03, 2012 11:29 pm

boxinglawyer wrote: People cant see the forest for the trees. NIETHER guys NEEDS the fight, and NEITHER one is super excited about getting it done anytime soon.
Mayweathers outrageous claims that he is a PPV record-setter are incorrect. If you go by life-time ratings, PAC is the bigger draw. The truth is, NIETHER guy deserves more than the other. The 50/50 split is fair and anyone who argues it isnt, is full of crap and wrong.

A few personal notes.
I would buy the fight to see Pac, the most incredible, once in a life-time fighter I have ever seen in my lifetime. (Remember, I was watching boxing 20 years before many of you were even born). What Pac has done in the sport eclipses what any fighter has done in 50 years. Its amazing.

When they fight, Mayweather will win.

Pac is on the decline, and a rapid one at that.

3 years ago, I would have bet BIG money that Pac won by KO in the first three rounds. He was an absolute match-up nightmare for Mayweather. But that Pac is long gone. He is just too slow, and his legs are too far gone to create those crazy punching angles and freakish power he used to. I am rarely SURE enough about a big fight to place a bet. But I was on this one, and I have posted all the others I ever put big cash on before

I would have given Pac a great chance of beating Mayweather via KO as well couple years back, but 99 out of 100 fights Floyd wins hands down! He is too long for pac and his counter right hands and his reach advantage would have Manny swinging at air and getting caught time after time by Floyd. At this point I give a shit about the fight and kinda of hoping Cotto or Bradley pull off the upset and teach this greedy diva fighters a lesson!
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sat May 05, 2012 12:27 am

I don't think anyone is stepping into the shoes of the fighters. This is Floyd's job. If he believes Pac is cheating, he has every right to make sure everything is legit. That's not fear, that's common sense. Someone who is willing to take a handicap to prove a point will change that mindset quickly when the real gamblers show up or lose all their money. Boxers gamble with their money, their bodies, and their reputation. What Floyd is showing isn't fear, it's respect. He recognizes that Pac is a difficult opponent and wants to limit the number of potential advantages he has, PEDS being a big one. Given how Pac has risen up through the weights and dominated so quickly and how adamant he has been in refusing additional testing, there is some doubt as to how legit he is.

And what he said about athletes is spot on. Most guys blow their money, their bodies or both and no one really cares. Junior Seau died like yesterday and his life has already gone from being a tragedy to a talking point. Bosh got ripped because his family was more important to him than his work. People have very little sympathy for public figures, especially ones who have lots of money and ugly personalities.

Floyd has gone about things the wrong way, but from my viewpoint he's done a lot more to make the fight. He's the one who was left at the negotiating table during the first rounds of talks. He's the one who held to with the gag order during the second round. He's the guy who personally reached out to Pac during the third round. Arum's been the guy whose been talking, but from what I've read it's Floyd who has taken more action. He's been fairly consistent throughout. He wants more money and he wants testing.

If Arum or Floyd want to convince people they are right, it's very simple...make everything transparent. If not, they should shut up.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2