The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A CASE FOR BOB SATTERFIELD AND CLARENCE HENRY

2 posters

Go down

A CASE FOR BOB SATTERFIELD AND CLARENCE HENRY Empty A CASE FOR BOB SATTERFIELD AND CLARENCE HENRY

Post  dmar5143 Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:56 am

yes the fighters of old as we all know fought far more often and against a list of top fighters that todays fighters cant match .unlike today in general the fighter of yesteryear many times was not given a chance to develope to his potential.seth mitchel is a good example of respectable developement today..many times in the past a fantastic fighter early in his developement is tossed to the wolves.its sink or swim.
the reason im writing this is my older son a big boxing fan called me the other day for my thoughts on clarence henry.he loves exploring boxing history and asked what if he fought today.i gave him my thoughts.
first satterfield has been talked about by several of us on here so hes known to a certain degree.satterfield was the earnie shavers of his day.great puncher weak chin but unlike earnie had better stanima and knew how to fight tech wise and had excellent hand speed ...satterfield was tossed to the wolves indeed..a awsome prospect in his 11th or 12th fight is pit in the ring with holman williams a hall of fame great who beat charley burley 3 out of 6 fights and split a few fights with archie moore for example.williams had i dont know 150 fights at that time and was far from washed up.satterfield went the distance but was outclassed.he fought a couple of fights against mid level opposition then its jake lamotta and archie moore.he had no business with less then 20 fights under his belt fighting 2 all time greats.then a few fights later its joey maxim a hall of famer.talk about being tossed to the wolves.no wonder satterfield was koed many times.he took beatings that should of never been.he had rex layne almost out giving rex a clobbering untill layne a awsome puncher laid him out with a awfull shot.he then gets koed by clarence henry in a one round slugfest..he still manages to beat nick barone harold johnson koing marty marshall who beat sonny liston koing nino valdes and clevland williams dispite weighting about 175 pounds.
what if he fought today and wasnt thrown to the wolves.how wouldhe do at his best..first with todays weight manipulation satterfield would for the most part fight at 168..here goes against the best today.kessler.satterfield crushes him early.fast hand agression and power.bute.suprise.i think they fight 3 times all fights end in a ko.satterfield wins 2 of them.fonch.they split ko wins.dont tell me how great carls chin is.satterfield hits twice as hard or better then anyone carl fought..ward.ward wins the 2 fights by 3 or 4 points easy but comes off the floor both fights to win a ud...
clarence henry.this guy was good.realy good.extrembly fast hand terrfic power agressive can fight at angles and was smart.he fought only 6 years.today hed be a light heavy..he was tossed to the wolves somewhat but surrvied.in his 10th or so fight hes matched against jimmy bivins a very good fighter who had about 80 fights under his belt and a ranked contender..what gives here.henry takes what everyone felt was a dive the only time he was stoped.he does inbetween being tossed to the wolves fight mid level fighters and wins with ease.he does lose a split descion to harold johnson and a ten rounder to archie moore.no shame there but kos bob baker for bakers first or second loss beats baker again kos irish bob murphy bob satterfield and gives bivins a beating in a legit fight this time around..
how good was he.henry is one of thoses guys i talk about that comes along and for a 3 year strech can hold his own with anyone.today he be at 175..hed kill cloud .cloud never fought a guy with henrys spped power agression and skill.ditto dawson and pasqual..hopkins wins a descion but has to fight for it.if theres a return i think henry stops him.hes not going to lull henry to sleep at all.he will have to fight..
tossed to the wolves.one guy didnt survive the other did.both were exciting to watch.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

A CASE FOR BOB SATTERFIELD AND CLARENCE HENRY Empty Re: A CASE FOR BOB SATTERFIELD AND CLARENCE HENRY

Post  powerpuncher Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:34 pm

fighters like that make me feel bad for them. they get thrown to the wolves early and really have no chance to become great. while guys like chavez jr gets handpicked opponents and is a big name in boxing now. if chavez was thrown to the wolves a few years ago, nobody would even talk about him.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

A CASE FOR BOB SATTERFIELD AND CLARENCE HENRY Empty Re: A CASE FOR BOB SATTERFIELD AND CLARENCE HENRY

Post  dmar5143 Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:53 pm

powerpuncher wrote:fighters like that make me feel bad for them. they get thrown to the wolves early and really have no chance to become great. while guys like chavez jr gets handpicked opponents and is a big name in boxing now. if chavez was thrown to the wolves a few years ago, nobody would even talk about him.
..very true powerpuncher.thats exactly how i feel.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down