The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whitaker out as Zab's Trainer

3 posters

Go down

Whitaker out as Zab's Trainer Empty Whitaker out as Zab's Trainer

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:33 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yorkboxing/post/_/id/1230/whitaker-out-harvey-in-as-judah-trainer

His father will NOT be training him either, his Uncle James takes over.

They're having such a tough time selling tickets to this that there will be TV screens on showing the Sweet Sixteen so "fans" won't miss any basketball action, pathetic incentive.

Michael Woods tweeted that he needed a ride to the event. Aviator Sports Arena is in the middle of nowhere, it's at Floyd Bennett Field in an old airplane hangar which is located at the end of Flatbush Avenue off of the Belt Parkway inaccessible to any public transportation.

I have an idea, if you want to sell tickets don't charge more than $50 a seat for an event like this at a venue like this.

hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Whitaker out as Zab's Trainer Empty Re: Whitaker out as Zab's Trainer

Post  GrantZilla Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:14 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:I have an idea, if you want to sell tickets don't charge more than $50 a seat for an event like this at a venue like this.

Promoters don't know how to promote is all I can say. Outside Top Rank.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:53 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yorkboxing/post/_/id/1230/whitaker-out-harvey-in-as-judah-trainer

They're having such a tough time selling tickets to this that there will be TV screens on showing the Sweet Sixteen so "fans" won't miss any basketball action, pathetic incentive.

Michael Woods tweeted that he needed a ride to the event. Aviator Sports Arena is in the middle of nowhere, it's at Floyd Bennett Field in an old airplane hangar which is located at the end of Flatbush Avenue off of the Belt Parkway inaccessible to any public transportation.

I have an idea, if you want to sell tickets don't charge more than $50 a seat for an event like this at a venue like this.

are you going hardcore?
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:36 pm

Rum Capital wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yorkboxing/post/_/id/1230/whitaker-out-harvey-in-as-judah-trainer

are you going hardcore?

Nah I'll be here at work.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:55 am

How do you fuck up a hometown fight? Why do you put the fight on at the same time as a big HBO fight? Why not during the middle of the week when jackshit is on? Why, why, why!
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:49 am

GrantZilla wrote:How do you fuck up a hometown fight? Why do you put the fight on at the same time as a big HBO fight? Why not during the middle of the week when jackshit is on? Why, why, why!

This is not the fight Main Events should have gotten for NBC Sports. The venue is terrible. It's good for a non televised event or a local even for up and comers etc. But most importantly people don't care about Zab Judah. He's ten years past his best. He's gotten robbed in his own neighborhood. His antics turned people off and he's insignificant.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:28 am

Very true. But the blame falls on NBC for signing an out-put deal with Main Events. Main Events stable of fighters is weak. Add on, when have out-put deals with any sole promoter ever worked.

You'd think these cats at NBC would do some research. Go look at the network they bout, Versus, out-put deal with Top Rank, and what a disgrace that was.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:37 am

GrantZilla wrote:Very true. But the blame falls on NBC for signing an out-put deal with Main Events. Main Events stable of fighters is weak. Add on, when have out-put deals with any sole promoter ever worked.

You'd think these cats at NBC would do some research. Go look at the network they bout, Versus, out-put deal with Top Rank, and what a disgrace that was.

No homie Versus (Comcast) bought NBC LOL. What they're trying to do (NBC Sports) is to replicate ESPN. This has been Comcast's goal since they purchased Outdoor Life Network and turned it to Versus in 2005 (I was working at another company and we did their up linking and this was in their mission statement). So they'll put on FNF worthy fights just to do exactly what ESPN does on an even less budget.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:43 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:No homie Versus (Comcast) bought NBC LOL. What they're trying to do (NBC Sports) is to replicate ESPN. This has been Comcast's goal since they purchased Outdoor Life Network and turned it to Versus in 2005 (I was working at another company and we did their up linking and this was in their mission statement). So they'll put on FNF worthy fights just to do exactly what ESPN does on an even less budget.

That's right, Comcast bought NBC. I thought the budget for their fight nights were more than ESPN's?

Anyway, the output deal blows. This is the extent of their Roster:
http://www.mainevents.com/Roster.aspx
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:47 am

GrantZilla wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:No homie Versus (Comcast) bought NBC LOL. What they're trying to do (NBC Sports) is to replicate ESPN. This has been Comcast's goal since they purchased Outdoor Life Network and turned it to Versus in 2005 (I was working at another company and we did their up linking and this was in their mission statement). So they'll put on FNF worthy fights just to do exactly what ESPN does on an even less budget.

That's right, Comcast bought NBC. I thought the budget for their fight nights were more than ESPN's?

Anyway, the output deal blows. This is the extent of their Roster:
http://www.mainevents.com/Roster.aspx

You might be right. Time will tell.

You're right they do suck, it limits what you can do and limits your resources.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:58 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:

Yeah, it was actually you that posted it on the other thread announcing boxing on NBC Sports
http://tinyurl.com/6vkd83p

•"At $100,000 license fee for Main Events Versus/Comcast cards it gives boxing middle class. More $ than ShoBox/ESPN2, less than HBO/Showtime"
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:15 am

GrantZilla wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

Yeah, it was actually you that posted it on the other thread announcing boxing on NBC Sports
http://tinyurl.com/6vkd83p

•"At $100,000 license fee for Main Events Versus/Comcast cards it gives boxing middle class. More $ than ShoBox/ESPN2, less than HBO/Showtime"

LMAO, November was a long time ago about 200hrs of overtime on overnights and we bought a house. Not much left in the memory bank.

We haven't had any news come to us about boxing here at the Network. They're currently doing the NBC sports out of Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey but they just built a huge facility in Stamford, Connecticut. All sports will move to Stamford in the coming years.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:18 am

I know what you mean. My work for years was investigation for insurance. And 95% of it was reasearching shit and making mental bookmarks of info. Habit that's still there today, even though the rest of the memory is not as sharp as it once was.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:28 am

So, with these crappy venues and crappy cards boxing will remain a PPV or premium channel sport.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:35 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:So, with these crappy venues and crappy cards boxing will remain a PPV or premium channel sport.

I think the shit is going to hit the fan in the next 5 years. Pac and Mayweather are the only two cross-over stars in boxing. Mayweather likely going to retire undefeated. Pac maybe. But even if Pac loses to Bradley, Bradly will never carry the torture as a big star.

So then what? No more huge cash cows. No exciting HWs. Promoters actually going to have to something to build up some names instead of relying on TV money welfair and a Pac and Mayweather sweepstakes.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:43 am

GrantZilla wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:So, with these crappy venues and crappy cards boxing will remain a PPV or premium channel sport.

I think the shit is going to hit the fan in the next 5 years. Pac and Mayweather are the only two cross-over stars in boxing. Mayweather likely going to retire undefeated. Pac maybe. But even if Pac loses to Bradley, Bradly will never carry the torture as a big star.

So then what? No more huge cash cows. No exciting HWs. Promoters actually going to have to something to build up some names instead of relying on TV money welfair and a Pac and Mayweather sweepstakes.

There will be others there always are. If Broner can win a few big fights soon he can pick up where Floyd leaves off. Jose Benavidez is on the come up. There are guys and will be more. There may be a lull but I think the public will latch onto someone. What if Ward continues his streak? It will eventually get notice I think. People like winners. People like winners that are nice guys too. Goossen should be having him pitch local products now so he can be ready if he ever makes it bigtime. You may be right but I'd rather have a more positive outlook on the situation.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:14 am

hardcorebee24 wrote: You may be right but I'd rather have a more positive outlook on the situation.

I'd like to be optimistic too. But it's harder and harder to make a star the way things are now. Why are Pac and Mayweather huge stars? Because of Oscar. Oscar become huge because of the exposure he got at the Olympics when people actually watched Olympic boxing and on network TV. He was the last of the stars built from network TV.

You can't build cross over stars on limited pay channels and PPV. Ward fights on Showtime with more limited aduience then HBO. Less than 500,000 live viewers tuned into Ward-Froch on Showtime.

Why I said the final should've been on CBS. Even if it only got 2 million viewers, that's better than 500k.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:17 pm

I thought Zab was back with Main Events or did they ditch him after he quit against Khan ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down