The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marco Huck to stay at Cruiser and have rematch with Afolabi

+3
captainanddew
GrantZilla
hardcorebee24
7 posters

Go down

Marco Huck to stay at Cruiser and have rematch with Afolabi Empty Marco Huck to stay at Cruiser and have rematch with Afolabi

Post  Guest Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:28 pm

Marco Huck had a decision to make: Remain at heavyweight after an impressive but controversial loss in his debut in the weight class or return to cruiserweight to continue to defend his world title.

Under deadline pressure, Huck made the call on Thursday, electing to return to cruiserweight.

Germany's Huck moved up to heavyweight on Feb. 25 to challenge titlist Alexander Povetkin of Russia and gave him all kinds of problems. He staggered him multiple times and landed his overhand right nearly at will. However, the judges awarded Povetkin a majority decision that many believed Huck rightfully deserved.

After the fight, Huck (34-2, 25 KOs) had 10 days to inform the WBO about his intentions regarding his title. He got a brief extension and after talking with promoter Wilfried Sauerland, trainer Ulli Wegner and Chris Meyer and Hagen Doering of Sauerland Event, Huck made the decision to continue at cruiserweight, where he has made eight title defenses since winning the belt in 2009.

Huck's next fight will come against interim titleholder Ola Afolabi, who knocked out Valery Brudov in the fifth round to claim the vacant interim belt on last Saturday's Wladimir Klitschko-Jean-Marc Mormeck undercard. Had Huck stayed at heavyweight, Afolabi would have become the full titlist.

"I would have loved to remain at heavyweight but my team convinced me to stay at cruiserweight for the time being," Huck said. "That's fine for me. I am happy to continue my domination and keep destroying opponents. I will start with Afolabi. He is a dangerous fighter but he has no chance against me."

In Huck's first title defense in December 2009, he narrowly outpointed Afolabi (19-2-3, 9 KOs), who has won all five of his fights since.

A Povetkin-Huck rematch remains a possibility down the road. Povetkin is next due to face former champion Hasim Rahman in a mandatory title defense. Sauerland said that means the earliest date for a potential Povetkin-Huck rematch would not be until the fall, which means Huck could face Afolabi, 31, and then return to heavyweight.

"We believe that defending his WBO cruiserweight title is the best thing for Marco to do," Sauerland said. "At the age of 27 he is still very young for a boxer. He can always move up to heavyweight later."

Sauerland said he is in talks with Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions, which promotes Afolabi, about a fight with Huck.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7662077/marco-huck-makes-decision-return-cruiserweight

Back to top Go down

Marco Huck to stay at Cruiser and have rematch with Afolabi Empty Re: Marco Huck to stay at Cruiser and have rematch with Afolabi

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:36 pm

What a pussy.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Marco Huck to stay at Cruiser and have rematch with Afolabi Empty Re: Marco Huck to stay at Cruiser and have rematch with Afolabi

Post  GrantZilla Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:16 pm

Hernandez vs Huck would be a big fight in Germany

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:42 am

A pleasant surprise to see a CW opting to defend his trinket rather than feast on burgers and HW paydays.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:34 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:What a pussy.

he isn't a pussy. Sauerland tells you that you can go down, get a nice payday, fight your mandatory that you have beaten before, and then after Povetkin beats Rahman, you can have your rematch.

It isn't as if Huck is old and fighting scrubs. He has plenty of time left.

I too would like to see Huck vs Hernandez, but I think he is going back to HW very soon for a return shot against Povetkin.

We all know Povetkin won't face a Klitschko soon, so a Huck rematch makes sense late 2012.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:04 am

Outside a fight with Hernandez, there is no reason for Huck to stay at Cruiser. The way Huck fought Povetkin in a fight he should have won, I'd give him a shot at beating any HW that isn't a Klitschko
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:47 am

captainanddew wrote:

he isn't a pussy. Sauerland tells you that you can go down, get a nice payday, fight your mandatory that you have beaten before, and then after Povetkin beats Rahman, you can have your rematch.

I too would like to see Huck vs Hernandez, but I think he is going back to HW very soon for a return shot against Povetkin.

We all know Povetkin won't face a Klitschko soon, so a Huck rematch makes sense late 2012.

I don't think Hardcore was being serious Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:55 am

Huck vs Adamek
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:27 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Huck vs Adamek

Didn't you hear......Adamek wasn't himself against Vitali and wants another crack Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:43 pm

captainanddew wrote:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:32 pm

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:Huck vs Adamek

Didn't you hear......Adamek wasn't himself against Vitali and wants another crack Laughing

wants another paycheck!
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:59 pm

[quote="gomez1012"]
Hagler's Bald Head wrote:wants another paycheck!

What's sad is, he'll probably get a fight with Wlad. He just has to do what Arreola is doing. Fight bums and wait.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:49 pm

[quote="GrantZilla"]
gomez1012 wrote:
Hagler's Bald Head wrote:wants another paycheck!

What's sad is, he'll probably get a fight with Wlad. He just has to do what Arreola is doing. Fight bums and wait.

Mad Mad Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:34 pm

What a shocker. Everyone (but Ring Magazine) knew he would come right back. Makes the decision Ring Magazine made of taking him out of the top 10 even more of a joke.

I think Shamu Dan summed it up well

Dan Rafael
(1:26 PM)

I was critical of that decision beforehand. I thought it was horrible that Ring dropped Huck just because he was going to fight a heavyweight fight. Boxing is littered with examples of guys taking a fight in a division above and then returning. But he had been ranked No. 1 and never ever should have been dropped until after the outcome of the fight and his decision on what he wanted to do. Instead, Ring played like a sanctioning body because it was so anxious to fill a title since No.2 and 3 were fighting (Hernandez and Cunningham). It was a short sited decision and I cannot be any harsher in my view of it. Just dumbfounded by it. Bad job. And now they are stuck with a so-called cruiserweight champion when the longtime No. 1 guy is still in the weight class. The cruiser title it handed out has zero credibility to me

Last edited by SlickMoney on Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cuz i can sucka!)
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:44 pm

slick and fat dan are clearly on point.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:49 pm

i saw that article the other day and fat dan is 100 percent correct.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:51 pm

dmar5143 wrote:i saw that article the other day and fat dan is 100 percent correct.

it pains me to agree with fat dan (as I dislike him), but if I'm going to rip him for posting bad fight summaries (that he didn't write or didn't actually pay attention while watching the fight), then I have to give him credit when he does his job well.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:28 pm

No win. People complain about all The Ring vacancies, then complain when they fill them. Cunningham already beat Huck. Had Huck got the decision he deserved against Povetkin, he wouldn't be coming back to Cruiser.

People complained that the Ring didn't make Margs-Mosley for the belt because Williams was still in the rankings at Welter, even though Williams had moved up to Jr Middle.

If The Ring did not make Cunningham-Hernandez for the belt because of Huck, and Huck won against Povetkin and was going to stay at HW, people would be bitching.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Huck: I'm Ready For The Klitschkos, I'll Move Back Up

WBO cruiserweight champion Marco Huck (34-2, 25 KOs) believes that he is ready to challenge the kings of the heavyweight division, Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko. After nearly defeating WBA "regular" champion Alexander Povetkin last month in Germany, Huck made a decision to return to cruiserweight for a mandatory defense against Ola Afolabi.

"I am ready to fight the Klitschko brothers, but right now I'm the holder of the WBO cruiserweight title and I need to make a mandatory defense. Certainly in future I will return to the heavyweight division, and there I'll capture a world title," Huck said.

Huck's trainer, Uli Wegner, feels a move a cruiserweight is the best move, at the moment, for his fighter.

"It seems to me that the fight with Ola Afolabi is the best direction for Marco at the moment," Wegner said.

http://tinyurl.com/7u32mzx
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:56 pm

GrantZilla wrote:No win. People complain about all The Ring vacancies, then complain when they fill them. Cunningham already beat Huck. Had Huck got the decision he deserved against Povetkin, he wouldn't be coming back to Cruiser.

People complained that the Ring didn't make Margs-Mosley for the belt because Williams was still in the rankings at Welter, even though Williams had moved up to Jr Middle.

If The Ring did not make Cunningham-Hernandez for the belt because of Huck, and Huck won against Povetkin and was going to stay at HW, people would be bitching.

I'm one of the few that agreed with Ring filling the vacancy. There was a very realistic chance that Huck was not coming back and Cunningham, not Huck, was the longtime #1 cruiser. He only lost that position because of an extremely controversially decision when a doctor stopped a fight because he believed Cunningham had headbutted intentionally. Cunningham had beaten Huck previously. The decision I disagreed with was making Huck #1 after Cunningham-Hernandez I.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:03 pm

Yeah. Guys like Hauser ect have stated The Ring's criteria for Ring champs is unrealistic in todays boxing, and why there are so many vacancies. Sadily, it's true.

It's almost impossible to get # 1 and # 2 fighter to actually get into the damn ring and fight. Last year I posted on how things were setting up to get atleast 4 vacancies filled. Only one happened at Super Middle.

People complained that Bradley-Alexander was not for The Ring belt, because Khan was in the mix. Bradley was suppose to fight Khan after the Alexander fight, but how'd that work out?

Gamboa-Lopez were # 1 and # 2 last year, and we know what happened to Lopez. Now it's Gamboa and John at # 1 and # 2. Which means, vacancy at Feather will never be filled. John will never fight Gamboa. He'll rather fight cans in Indonesia
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:45 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Yeah. Guys like Hauser ect have stated The Ring's criteria for Ring champs is unrealistic in todays boxing, and why there are so many vacancies. Sadily, it's true.

It's almost impossible to get # 1 and # 2 fighter to actually get into the damn ring and fight. Last year I posted on how things were setting up to get atleast 4 vacancies filled. Only one happened at Super Middle.

People complained that Bradley-Alexander was not for The Ring belt, because Khan was in the mix. Bradley was suppose to fight Khan after the Alexander fight, but how'd that work out?

Gamboa-Lopez were # 1 and # 2 last year, and we know what happened to Lopez. Now it's Gamboa and John at # 1 and # 2. Which means, vacancy at Feather will never be filled. John will never fight Gamboa. He'll rather fight cans in Indonesia

I had hopes Caballero would help out with John's hometown fighting but looks like he might fight Garcia next. Caba should be John's mandatory, is a Panamanian fighter for the WBA, and fights wherever he can make money. I think Caba beats this older version of John and then could've faced Gamboa or Salido after that for the Ring belt. Featherweight just proves your point about 1 facing 2.

I'm not going to say that older fighters were far more competitive than current fighters but I think older fighters only had one championship to chase as well as money fights were against champions more often than not. Current boxing suffers most from being both a competition and entertainment. I believe HBO, Showtime, and any other money in the sport needs to adopt the rankings of some appropriate system and it will get better. Until that day comes, real champions will be scarce.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:49 pm

GrantZilla wrote:No win. People complain about all The Ring vacancies, then complain when they fill them. Cunningham already beat Huck. Had Huck got the decision he deserved against Povetkin, he wouldn't be coming back to Cruiser.

Because the Ring has vacancies makes the belt more prestigious. Before they didnt force their belt on anyone now they just did.

On another note will they drop Floyd from the 147 rankings for taking a fight at 154?
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:24 pm

SlickMoney wrote:On another note will they drop Floyd from the 147 rankings for taking a fight at 154?

Does it matter? Floyd and Pac will never fight, so the Welter belt will continue to stay vacant. If Floyd does beat Cotto who is # 1 at Jr Middle, I wonder where that puts Floyd at Jr Middle? # 1 or # 2.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down