The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dana White on the Fight

4 posters

Go down

Dana White on the Fight Empty Dana White on the Fight

Post  gomez1012 Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:13 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Boxing-fan-Dana-White-hammers-the-ref-in-Floyd-O?urn=mma-wp7034

If I heard "that's boxing at its best" one more time on Sunday, I was going to scream.
What was shaping as a good fight, was destroyed by a chain of events that left fight fans shaking their heads or completely enraged at the ending of the Floyd Mayweather-Victor Ortiz fight.
After a headbutt by Ortiz, the fight was stopped and eventually re-started by one of the fighters. Floyd Mayweather took advantage of Ortiz's naivety and knocked him silly when his hands were down. Many are blaming referee Joe Cortez for losing control of the fight including UFC president

Dana White:
"Ref never sent a fighter to a neutral corner to take a point. Especially after a intentional head butt! That's why u have a ref!!!!"
White did choose sides between Mayweather and Ortiz, he blasted Cortez.
"You can't blame the fighters. The ref is in there to stop that [expletive] from happening! That is the worst ref'n I have ever seen in boxing EVER.
"

In his own sport, White has never been shy about going after judges or referees.
Frankly, everyone in the ring had a part in this mess, but clearly Cortez failed to do his job. The shocked look on his face says it all.
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Dana White on the Fight Empty Re: Dana White on the Fight

Post  Diego408 Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:41 pm

I totally agree, thats what Ive been argueing in facebook and Twitter. I dont blame Floyd, he was just fighting. Cortez messed up, and I think he was paid to do so.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:32 pm

I don't always agree with White, but he happens to be correct here.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:37 pm

"The officiating has been horrendous in mixed martial arts," White said. "Let me start it off by saying this: I laid some money on Ortiz. And I'll tell you, Ortiz started headbutting him from the first round, right? (He was) rubbing his head in [Mayweather's] face from the first round on then the most intentional headbutt you'll ever see, and the dirtiest thing you can do in boxing is headbutt another guy.

"He headbutts him then the referee doesn't send the guys to a neutral corner, (and) actually lets – after [Ortiz] headbutts Mayweather in the face – let's [Ortiz] approach him and hug him ... like that's the last thing Mayweather wants is [Ortiz] in his face after he just headbutted him. Then, again, doesn't send the guy to a neutral corner, (and) everything's in chaos and confusion.

"[Cortez] doesn't even know (that with) an intentional foul, you take two points, not one. What you're supposed to do is send a guy to the neutral corner. You have the doctor come in and check Mayweather to see if he's OK to continue, and let's assume he is – Mayweather says, 'Yes, I can continue,' (and) the doctor says yes. So the ref goes to the center of the ring and says, 'I'm taking two points,' then he walks to Ortiz and says, 'That's two points. If you do it again, you're going to be disqualified.' Then go back to the center of the ring and say, 'Let's fight.' He didn't do any of that.

"So then after the [foul], he says, 'Let's go. Let's go.' I guess he said it three times. And Ortiz comes to hug him again after he's already said sorry 50 times, and Floyd hit him when the fight was on."

"It's easy to hate Floyd Mayweather," White said. "Everybody wants to hate him. First of all, Ortiz was dirty in what he did. Nothing dirtier than a headbutt, and everybody in boxing knows that. That fight should have been able to go on. A ref is in there to make sure that stuff like that doesn't happen.

"Mayweather was strangling him at the weigh-ins, and nobody stepped in and did anything. So this thing started way before officiating was the reason this whole thing went the way that it did."

"This would be a great opportunity for me to step up on the soapbox and go, 'Boxing shot itself in the foot again, and look what these guys did!'" White said. "It had nothing to do with boxing, had nothing to do with the sport of boxing. It had to do with the officiating that night. And let me tell you what: Think about my position now. I'm about to go on FOX on Nov. 12 for our first big MMA event on free TV. I don't want some referee that doesn't know what he's doing blowing my big night on FOX."

http://tinyurl.com/3ccdq3m

Sad that White is talking more sense than some people
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:41 pm

yep, more neutral than most of the boxing media!

And laid $ on Ortiz like I did too lol
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:42 pm

Or can look at it that Joe Cortez was chosen as the ref for a reason...

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Yeah, shit went to hell the minute Cortez was announced as the ref.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:45 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Yeah, shit went to hell the minute Cortez was announced as the ref.

+1

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:47 pm

Bayless should be the ref for all big fights. Sure he made a mistake ruling the KD in the Pac-Mosley fight. It was an honest mistake, and he apologized afterwords.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Bayless or Weeks for sure
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content