The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Floyd a dirty fighter.....

+7
Suavecito80
Groundhog
jz_hova
powerpuncher
Gumby
dbudge
Frank
11 posters

Go down

Is Floyd a dirty fighter..... Empty Is Floyd a dirty fighter.....

Post  Frank Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:57 am

...in my opinion, he is not. Sure, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Leonard, etc, would never have taken this shot. That said, I'm pretty sure that was Mayweather I saw fighting last night. He made a decision to hit an opponent who had his hands down after this opponent received instructions to "Protect himself at all times."

Also, in all fairness, the headbutt that Ortiz threw was the 3rd in a bout that was only 4 rounds old. A dirty fight is a dirty fight. If MW had a reputation for committing major fouls, then another approach to the conclusion would be justified. On the contrary, MW is a relatively clean fighter who was caught up in a dirty fight. Victor made the rules for this fight and decided his own fate. As Sean Connery stated in "The Untouchables", "You don't bring a knife to a gun fight." What MW did was actually legal though it does fall under the definition of a "sucker punch." If he fought clean after being heatbutted 3 times, MW would've deserved to be beaten. This is the fight Ortiz wanted, and it's the fight he got. Now, that we've seen this bullshit, let's bring Pac in to remind Mayweather who the best fighter in the sport really is.

Last edited by Frank on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Frank

Back to top Go down

Is Floyd a dirty fighter..... Empty Re: Is Floyd a dirty fighter.....

Post  Guest Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:16 am

In the inside/clinch he's occasionally dirty.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:26 am

Ali wrote:In the inside/clinch he's occasionally dirty.
Ali, are you trying to get me to defend MW? Laughing I can't do that. Look, Pac kicks Floyd's ass. Ortiz doesn't. He was outclassed. As far as Floyd being a dirty fighter, I don't know one world beater who was not "occasionally dirty." Ali pulling Joes neck down in every fight. Joe Frazier hit Ali low on more than one occasion. These guys are fighting. I think the first 3 rounds of MW domination and not the sucker punch was the defining point in this fight. It's what caused Ortiz to headbutt in the first place.

What ever is said about this fight, the fight is NOT nor will it ever be, "Ortiz or Berto vs. MW or Pac." You're just asking to be disappointed if you make a big deal over any of those match ups. If Pac and MW are not fighting each other, they will dominate any other welterweight in the world. I think that Pac can actually stop MW, though I don't think any other WW can.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:07 am

as was stated in the original post, Victor Ortiz decided his own fate last night. he was looking for the headbutt the whole fight (whilst it lasted) and his final misdemeanor was disgraceful. he deserved to become a victim of his own dirty tactics. if i was Mayweather i would have retaliated exactly the same. in the prizefighting ring it is an eye for an eye. when you live by the sword, you die by the sword. victor's naivity in the "making up" period after his "vicious" antics were also his own fault. he blatantly fouled Mayweather, if he wanted to roughhouse Floyd in this fight then trying to kiss and make up after he had nutted him was the wrong way to go. he should have just gone on with the fight. in all honesty the outcome would have been no different if this incident had never happened. Floyd was getting into his stride and landed straight rights at will, Ortiz was on his way to getting KO'd anyway

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:37 am

I think Floyd straddles the line like Bhop between dirty and crafty. Floyd uses his forearms and elbows to press on his opponents (some time their necks) and will catch some of their biceps with an elbow.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:42 pm

i agree frank. if ali tried to hug frazier, he would have gotten hit with a left hook and vice versa. if leonard tried to hug duran, what to you think would have happened? i dont think it was dirty, it was just unfortunate. there are millions of fighters in the history of boxing that are way dirtier than mayweather but we count them among the elites. mayweather is just more unsportsman which quite a few greats were also.

i think that its the whole mayweather hate. if this were pac who did this, i 100% guarantee there wouldnt be an uproar like there is now with it. everybody just wants to find anything wrong they can with mayweather.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  jz_hova Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:49 pm

powerpuncher wrote:i agree frank. if ali tried to hug frazier, he would have gotten hit with a left hook and vice versa. if leonard tried to hug duran, what to you think would have happened? i dont think it was dirty, it was just unfortunate. there are millions of fighters in the history of boxing that are way dirtier than mayweather but we count them among the elites. mayweather is just more unsportsman which quite a few greats were also.

i think that its the whole mayweather hate. if this were pac who did this, i 100% guarantee there wouldnt be an uproar like there is now with it. everybody just wants to find anything wrong they can with mayweather.

The different is that we have to imagine if Ali, Frazier, etc did it. Flod HAS done it several times. regardless if it is in the rules you are not the best fighter to me if you win that way.
jz_hova
jz_hova

Back to top Go down

Post  jz_hova Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Pound for pound king Manny Pacquiao who followed the fight on television told the Daily Inquirer “what Mayweather did was legal but it's not the action of a sportsman. He just took advantage of that moment. I think Ortiz was trying to be nice to Mayweather.”

Pacquiao said Mayweather “is still good but I think in the third and fourth round when Ortiz attacked Mayweather got rattled. If Ortiz didn’t get knocked out and the fight continued through seven or eight rounds Mayweather would have been in trouble.”

Asked whether he would like to fight Mayweather after what he witnessed, Pacquiao said “oh yes” but pointed out that his attention is now focused on his November 12 showdown with Marquez.

Pacquiao was visibly upset over the manner in which Mayweather treated Merchant stating “you saw how nasty and mean he was.”

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said Mayweather was “a big disgrace while Joe Cortez shouldn’t be refereeing any more.” Cortez said afterward, "Time was in. The fighter needed to keep his guard up. Mayweather did nothing illegal."
jz_hova
jz_hova

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:43 pm

jz_hova wrote:Pound for pound king Manny Pacquiao who followed the fight on television told the Daily Inquirer “what Mayweather did was legal but it's not the action of a sportsman. He just took advantage of that moment. I think Ortiz was trying to be nice to Mayweather.”

Pacquiao said Mayweather “is still good but I think in the third and fourth round when Ortiz attacked Mayweather got rattled. If Ortiz didn’t get knocked out and the fight continued through seven or eight rounds Mayweather would have been in trouble.”

Asked whether he would like to fight Mayweather after what he witnessed, Pacquiao said “oh yes” but pointed out that his attention is now focused on his November 12 showdown with Marquez.

Pacquiao was visibly upset over the manner in which Mayweather treated Merchant stating “you saw how nasty and mean he was.”

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said Mayweather was “a big disgrace while Joe Cortez shouldn’t be refereeing any more.” Cortez said afterward, "Time was in. The fighter needed to keep his guard up. Mayweather did nothing illegal."
Can't argue with anything Pac said. I'll know when I see the fight next week but I might favor him at this point.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:57 pm

Other than accepting the "hug" and then clocking Ortiz, I don't see anything wrong with Mayweather yesterday.

Only thing is he held a bit on the ropes, but that's it really. Ortiz is a Golota-level headcase. Smilin and shit after the fight. He got what was coming to him. Overall it was a good performance by Floyd.

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  Suavecito80 Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:54 pm

Fuck larry merchant. i dont like mayweather either but he always gives him shit. floyd was still pissed after being headbutted and cut in the process. Nobody likes that old bastard anyway.
Suavecito80
Suavecito80

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:05 am

Larry is an old drunken idiot who has needed to go for years.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:35 am

Suavecito80 wrote:Fuck larry merchant. i dont like mayweather either but he always gives him shit. floyd was still pissed after being headbutted and cut in the process. Nobody likes that old bastard anyway.
i agree. merchant was trying to get mayweather riled up. so i dont blame him for saying what he did. they have always had bad blood.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 am

I don't know why you guys are getting on Merchant. He did a legit follow up to what had just happened.

Would you rather have over-hype kiss ass like Gus Johnson? Or some ESPN fangirl reporter?

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  jz_hova Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:34 am

This Flod statement alone shows that Flod was looking for a cheap way out of the fight. Things were starting to go physical in the ring and Flod was cashing out. He's not fighting again and had no plans on it. Does this change the way you look at the sucker punch?

"I don't need him. Where was Pacquiao in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 when I was dominating the game? He never asked me (for a fight) when I was in my twenties or when I was in my teens."

jz_hova
jz_hova

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:49 am

Does Holyfield and Bradley deserve being fucked that bad? NO! the fact that Victor got punished for his action was more than enough. Cortez did not signal the action to continue! He may of said it after to save his ass but he was still telling a judges to take off 1 point to the final judge when Mayweather landed those sucker shots!!! that fight was dirty ass fuck and went to the count. The faggle didnt even see the shots land. Cortz is a horrbile and paid off Ref and has a history of fucking over Mexican fighters. And Im not the type to ever throw the race card out like that.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:51 am

GrantZilla wrote:I don't know why you guys are getting on Merchant. He did a legit follow up to what had just happened.

Would you rather have over-hype kiss ass like Gus Johnson? Or some ESPN fangirl reporter?

Yea Merchant was doing his job, he even said fine with your comments as a promoter, Im asking you as a professional prizefighter and Flod went off on the old man Evil or Very Mad
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down