The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How about a WMD list to our already great site?

+4
kbyte
dbudge
Soonermark890
Frank
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How about a WMD list to our already great site? Empty How about a WMD list to our already great site?

Post  Frank Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:23 am

WMD: The hardest punchers in boxing history. Just an idea. I always had a high appreciation for hard punchers, especially on Preliminary cards.

I recall seeing Ali -Norton III at a very rowdy theater in Newark, N.J. My father took me after I begged him for 3 days. The crowd bordered on dangerous and fanatical. If you were for Norton, your life was literally in danger. Anyway, the undercard seemed like it was going to last forever. That is, until Earnie Shavers took on Henry Clark. The crowd forgot about Ali during that fight and was in awe of the 2nd round destruction that Earnie put on Clark. In no time at all, the main event appeared.

These are fighters that I think belong on the list. They are in "no particular order."

1. Joe Louis

2. Earnie Shavers

3. George Foreman

4. Julian Jackson

5. Roberto Duran

6. John Mugabi

7. Carlos Zarate

8. Alexis Arguello

9. Bob Foster

10. Marvin Hagler. Maybe it's just me, but I always thought Hagler's power was underrated. Sure, everyone knew he could punch but I don't recall him ending up on anyone's "Top Ten Hardest Punching MW" list. Why is this? He outslugged Mugabi and Hearns, knocked Eugene Watts out of the ring in the 2nd round and knocked out just about every Philly MW he faced. As champion, Marvin only failed to KO two fighters. HOF fighters "Roberto Duran" and "Ray Leonard."

Honorable Mention. Mike Weaver (Okay, I know he won't make the list. If you say he doesn't belong here, chances are you're right. However, I'll never forget the 15th round KO of John Tate and that 2nd round demolition of Carl Williams. And yes, I'm a closet Mike Weaver fan. This guy won when he was supposed to lose and lost when he was supposed to win. Now that's exciting! LOL: Realistically, he belongs in another category. "King of Club the Fighters.")

Last edited by Frank on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Frank

Back to top Go down

How about a WMD list to our already great site? Empty Re: How about a WMD list to our already great site?

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:30 am

We don't think of Ray Robinson on things like this and it is a massive mistake. He was a Joe Louis quality puncher.

How about Carlos Zarate? Ruben Olivares? Jimmy Wilde? Sandy Saddler? The Rock? Bob Foster?

Back to top Go down

How about a WMD list to our already great site? Empty Re: How about a WMD list to our already great site?

Post  Frank Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:We don't think of Ray Robinson on things like this and it is a massive mistake. He was a Joe Louis quality puncher.

How about Carlos Zarate? Ruben Olivares? Jimmy Wilde? Sandy Saddler? The Rock? Bob Foster?
Good adds. Foster and Zarate are already on the list. Marble, your film of Jimmy Wilde was sensational. I never saw anyone quite like him and need to study him more. I know Sandy's stats but never saw him against anyone but Pep. Rocky Marciano belongs on the list.

Robinson? I'd be crazy to object to him being on the list. However, I personally thought of Robinson as a kind of "Magician Ring General." He hit fighters with punches they couldn't see. Nevertheless, the fact is Robinson has 110 KOs. He should probably be on the list. LOL

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:39 am

Frank wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:We don't think of Ray Robinson on things like this and it is a massive mistake. He was a Joe Louis quality puncher.

Good adds. Foster and Zarate are already on the list. Marble, your film of Jimmy Wilde was sensational. I never saw anyone quite like him and need to study him more. I know Sandy's stats but never saw against anyone but Pep. Rocky Marciano belongs on the list.

My bad on Foster and Zarate. How about Bazooka Gomez? Hell what about the Manassa Mauler? Jess Willard nominated him Smile

The Motor City Cobra?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:41 am

Frank wrote:

Good adds. Foster and Zarate are already on the list. Marble, your film of Jimmy Wilde was sensational. I never saw anyone quite like him and need to study him more. I know Sandy's stats but never saw him against anyone but Pep. Rocky Marciano belongs on the list.

Robinson? I'd be crazy to object to him being on the list. However, I personally thought of Robinson as a kind of "Magician Ring General." He hit fighters with punches they couldn't see. Nevertheless, the fact is Robinson has 110 KOs. He should probably be on the list. LOL

I think we all think of him that way. But he didn't just KO over a 100 guys. he also carried as many as another 25 he could have KO'd. It was often an agreement he had to make to get "stay sharp" fights.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:46 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Frank wrote:

Good adds. Foster and Zarate are already on the list. Marble, your film of Jimmy Wilde was sensational. I never saw anyone quite like him and need to study him more. I know Sandy's stats but never saw against anyone but Pep. Rocky Marciano belongs on the list.

My bad on Foster and Zarate. How about Bazooka Gomez? Hell what about the Manassa Mauler? Jess Willard nominated him Smile

The Motor City Cobra?
No sane person will object to any of those nominations.

I'll say this. I should be disqualified from any judgement on "Wilfredo Gomez." I keep seeing him getting knocked out of the ring by "Salvador Sanchez." I know he was great and I saw his war against Lupe Pintor. I know about his record of 30-0 with 30 KOs. Even considering all this, the Sanchez fight is a vision I can't shake. Maybe because I watched it with a bunch of disgusted N.Y. Puerto Ricans.

Tommy Hearns should be on the list.

Marble, should we consider fighers who were famous for turning fights around with a single blow? Hearns would hide bombs in combos. I'm thinking of those fighters who have a bunch of 1 punch KO's. Earnie Shavers is ideal if we're talking about this type of fighter.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:49 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Frank wrote:

I think we all think of him that way. But he didn't just KO over a 100 guys. he also carried as many as another 25 he could have KO'd. It was often an agreement he had to make to get "stay sharp" fights.
Gotcha. He has my vote.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:53 am

Frank wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Frank wrote:

The Motor City Cobra?

I'll say this. I should be disqualified from any judgement on "Wilfredo Gomez." I keep seeing him getting knocked out of the ring by "Salvador Sanchez." I know he was great and I saw his war against Lupe Pintor. I know about his record of 30-0 with 30 KOs. Even considering all this, the Sanchez fight is a vision I can't shake. Maybe because I watched it with a bunch of disgusted N.Y. Puerto Ricans.

Marble, should we consider fighers who were famous for turning fights around with a single blow? Hearns would hide bombs in combos. I'm thinking of those fighters who have a bunch of 1 punch KO's. Earnie Shavers is ideal if we're talking about this type of fighter.

Bazooka wasn't a one-punch kind of guy. But he just kept wailing away and you crumbled. If you're gonna judge Gomez on the Sanchez fight how can you put Julian on there after what McCallum and G-Mac did to him?

One punchers? Ray Robinson might be #1. Ask Graziano or Fulmer. Pipino Cuevas? Tito? Lennox? Here's a strange one, Hurricane Carter. Just ask Emile or Florentino

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:01 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Frank wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Frank wrote:

The Motor City Cobra?

Bazooka wasn't a one-punch kind of guy. But he just kept wailing away and you crumbled. If you're gonna judge Gomez on the Sanchez fight how can you put Julian on there after what McCallum and G-Mac did to him?

One punchers? Ray Robinson might be #1. Ask Graziano or Fulmer. Pipino Cuevas? Tito? Lennox? Here's a strange one, Hurricane Carter. Just ask Emile or Florentino
The fighter I will push for is Marvin Hagler. He belongs on this list. I was thinking of Cuevas. Tito deserves to be considered.

The Gomez memory is an emotional one. I'm not presenting it as a rational argument. Nobody gave a damn when Julian was put away by Michael M. For that matter, nobody raised an eyebrow when Earnie Shavers was put away by Quarry in a single round. When Gomez went down to Sanchez, a whole island shook. Of course, Gomez belongs on the list but I can't give him my vote. The memory of the Sanchez fight is too powerful.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:08 am

Tommy Morrison? Got to try and get an oklahoma guy in there.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:15 am

Soonermark890 wrote:Tommy Morrison? Got to try and get an oklahoma guy in there.
Go for it, Sooner. I've got your back. LOL

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:19 pm

mike tyson ..he cannot be ignored by anyone no matter whats thought of him..its impossible to leave a marciano out of any list like this..ever see him jolt a 300 lb heavy bag when everyone else uses 75 pounds.robinson and saddler equal deadly..bob satterfield the 175 pound earnie shavers of his time.stanley ketchel the rocky graziano of his time.jimmy wilde.forget a tito ill take wilde every day and twice on a sunday...benny leanard wasnt to bad either..jack dempsey..his name should be a automatic..carlos monzon..the list is endless well almost..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:25 pm

sooner dont spoil a good thread.tommy morrison is a joke..hes from the alan green georger chuvalo school of looking good koing what we used to call years ago ham n eggers.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:43 pm

dmar5143 wrote:sooner dont spoil a good thread.tommy morrison is a joke..hes from the alan green georger chuvalo school of looking good koing what we used to call years ago ham n eggers.
Hey come on the guy was legit. He just got HIV.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:49 pm

no Thomas Hearns???

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:19 pm

Trinidad?
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:26 pm

Frank wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Frank wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Frank wrote:

The Motor City Cobra?

The fighter I will push for is Marvin Hagler. He belongs on this list. I was thinking of Cuevas. Tito deserves to be considered.

The Gomez memory is an emotional one. I'm not presenting it as a rational argument. Nobody gave a damn when Julian was put away by Michael M. For that matter, nobody raised an eyebrow when Earnie Shavers was put away by Quarry in a single round. When Gomez went down to Sanchez, a whole island shook. Of course, Gomez belongs on the list but I can't give him my vote. The memory of the Sanchez fight is too powerful.

OK, as long as you're thinking clearly!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:03 pm

Hedre's a name out of the blue. How about 1940's middlweight Artie Levine? I once saw Robinson in an interview where LaMotta was there and Ray said "Artie Levine could scramble your brains," and Lamotta laughingly agreed. If THOSE two chins said that? That Levine left hook must have really been something.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:23 pm

yes indeed artie levine is one..today in all honesty he would be the real middleweight champ..graziano was another who respected artie levine..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:30 pm

dmar5143 wrote:yes indeed artie levine is one..today in all honesty he would be the real middleweight champ..graziano was another who respected artie levine..

Speaking of big punchers!

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:31 pm

Gotta put Tua on the list since we're talkin' bangers. Sadly, if not for injuries to his hands, Angel Vasquez would've made this list. More to come.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:34 pm

I'll add Marcel Cerdan's left hook to the mix. If LaMotta hadn't thrown him to the ground that fight might have been different.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
dmar5143 wrote:sooner dont spoil a good thread.tommy morrison is a joke..hes from the alan green georger chuvalo school of looking good koing what we used to call years ago ham n eggers.
Hey come on the guy was legit. He just got HIV.

Not according to "The Sarge"!!!
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:37 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:I'll add Marcel Cerdan's left hook to the mix. If LaMotta hadn't thrown him to the ground that fight might have been different.

And he didn't just throw them one at a time. He was throwing three in a row against Zale!

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:54 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:I'll add Marcel Cerdan's left hook to the mix. If LaMotta hadn't thrown him to the ground that fight might have been different.

And he didn't just throw them one at a time. He was throwing three in a row against Zale!
His KO of Zale was monumental. One of my all time fav's.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next