The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sucks that Adamek isn't a legit HW

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sucks that Adamek isn't a legit HW Empty Sucks that Adamek isn't a legit HW

Post  GrantZilla Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:23 am

Division needs a guy like him as The Champ. If he was just 6'4, 240 I'd like his chances.

As it stands, he's just too damn small to beat a Klit.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Sucks that Adamek isn't a legit HW Empty Re: Sucks that Adamek isn't a legit HW

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:31 am

A long time ago AJ Liebling, in one of the pieces that became "The Sweet Science," argued that heavyweigths were born, could not be made, and that one could recognize them when one saw them. I think it was in the context of a Rocky Marciano fight against (maybe) Harry "Kid" Matthews. The notion was a fighter was either among the very, very, very strongest and most physically resilient men on the planet or he wasn't. And if he wasn't born that way no amount of eating, or weightlifting or other training could make him so. It was THOSE attributes, rather than height, reach and weight that really defined what a heavyweight was.

In today's terms he'd probably have said being a heavyweight was purely a function of genetics.

Now the size threshold seems to have changed to some degree, but I think the concept remains more or less accurate. And you're dead right. Adamek just ain't a heavyweight.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:38 am

AJ Liebling would hang himself if he saw what the HW division become and how HW title become almost meaningless in the US

I'm not being picky here. I don't even demand an All Time Great HW to come around. Fuck, give me Randal Cobb or a Earnie Shavers and I'll be happy.

That's how far the bar been lowered for me. I'm big on HW history, and I'm not exaggerting, and pretty sure you will back me up, this is the worse ever of HWs ever. EVER!
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:47 am

GrantZilla wrote:AJ Liebling would hang himself if he saw what the HW division become and how HW title become almost meaningless in the US

I'm not being picky here. I don't even demand an All Time Great HW to come around. Fuck, give me Randal Cobb or a Earnie Shavers and I'll be happy.

That's how far the bar been lowered for me. I'm big on HW history, and I'm not exaggerting, and pretty sure you will back me up, this is the worse ever of HWs ever. EVER!

If Tex Cobb and The Acorn were here today? They'd be, at worst, the number 3-4 heavies on the planet. The Acorn might just be too short and stumpy to reach Wlad, but if he hit him just once good night. Tex might just out tough everyone but Vitali.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:05 am

Marlb, you think HW title will ever mean anything again in the US?

I mean, if you told me as a kid that one day HW Championship fight won't even be telivised on one station in the US, I'd have said you were crazy.

The only way I ever see it getting some luster back is with an excting Dempsey like Champ
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:16 am

GrantZilla wrote:Marlb, you think HW title will ever mean anything again in the US?

I mean, if you told me as a kid that one day HW Championship fight won't even be telivised on one station in the US, I'd have said you were crazy.

The only way I ever see it getting some luster back is with an excting Dempsey like Champ

I think we need a freak to come along. When Delontay Wilder is the best our amateur system can produce? I am pretty pessimistic.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:47 am

I think NFL and NBA definitly play a part in decline of HWs. But if you think about it, there's always been a shortage of good HWs even when these sports weren't # 1.

Boxing only had realy one Golden Age of HWs, the 70s.

Reading an old archive article from The Ring, post WWII and they couldn't understand why there wasn't any good HWs. They expected to be a bunch coming back from the war and getting into boxing. There was none.

Dempsey didn't exactly have a lot great compition in his time. Joe Louis didn't either. Or Marcanio.

I dunno. Maybe fidning big men that skilled at fighting is just a hard thing to come by
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:01 pm

If he was bigger Adamek wouldn't be the fighter we all love.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:20 pm

GrantZilla wrote:I think NFL and NBA definitly play a part in decline of HWs. But if you think about it, there's always been a shortage of good HWs even when these sports weren't # 1.

Boxing only had realy one Golden Age of HWs, the 70s.

Reading an old archive article from The Ring, post WWII and they couldn't understand why there wasn't any good HWs. They expected to be a bunch coming back from the war and getting into boxing. There was none.

Dempsey didn't exactly have a lot great compition in his time. Joe Louis didn't either. Or Marcanio.

I dunno. Maybe fidning big men that skilled at fighting is just a hard thing to come by

Grant, that was a very level headed comment. It is not easy to find a great heavyweight. My whole life of watching boxing (25 years, I'm not counting seeing Ali on TV in the 70's when I was 5) people have been bitching about how bad the division is from Tyson to Lewis, through todays Klitschko era.

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:50 pm

Imagine Adamek in the late 50's, early 60's. Brrrrrrrrrr!!!!
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:39 am

flapanther2001 wrote:Imagine Adamek in the late 50's, early 60's. Brrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Imagine Adamek vs Marciano.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:48 am

i feel at 6ft 2 and a trim 225 adameks a real heavyweight..adamek against any big puncher who knows how to fight would get koed..that includes marciano dempsey louis tyson foreman and wlad frazier and holmes whos a good puncher..i think his chin isnt that good..nor does he have the wallop needed against thoses fighters...hes very likeable of course..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:53 am

Oliver McCall almost stopped Adamek in the 12th round.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:57 am

Adamek is not a legit HW. He's artificialy made himself a HW. Doesn't mean he realy is.

He should be fighting at Cruiser. I understand why he left. Networks were being dicks and weren't telivising his fights, and was no money.

To be successful in todays HW division, you got to be atleast 6'3, 225-230, with good foot work, power, and a chin.

Only way he got any shot at beating a Klit

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:02 am

dmar5143 wrote:i feel at 6ft 2 and a trim 225 adameks a real heavyweight..adamek against any big puncher who knows how to fight would get koed..that includes marciano dempsey louis tyson foreman and wlad frazier and holmes whos a good puncher..i think his chin isnt that good..nor does he have the wallop needed against thoses fighters...hes very likeable of course..

The bold is the point Liebling was talking about. In his view THAT is what determines if a man is a heavyweight or not.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:09 am

Corrie Sanders had all makings of a successful HW today. Except was more interested in golfing then he was boxing.

6'4, solid chin, great hand speed, and freakish power. It's been stated that he beat the living fuck out of Valuev in sparring
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:12 am

GrantZilla wrote:Corrie Sanders had all makings of a successful HW today. Except was more interested in golfing then he was boxing.

6'4, solid chin, great hand speed, and freakish power. It's been stated that he beat the living fuck out of Valuev in sparring

Physically he seemed like a real natural. Mentally he seemd like Zab Judah Wink

Or maybe it was that he was rich as I understand it. Who needs to get hit in the head if that's true?

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:14 am

Yup, exactly it. Boxing was a hobby to him. And you're never going to be successful in boxing when its just a hobby.

The fact he made it as far as he did just shows his abilities. Had he been fighting to put food on the table, he'd still be HW Champ today
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:17 am

GrantZilla wrote:Yup, exactly it. Boxing was a hobby to him. And you're never going to be successful in boxing when its just a hobby.

The fact he made it as far as he did just shows his abilities. Had he been fighting to put food on the table, he'd still be HW Champ today

Yup. The guy I was really wrong about in the last decade or so was Kirk Johnson. I really thought he could do enough of everything, was powerful and had those freakishly long arms that he'd be a handful. But Vitali just smoked him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:19 am

Is it true Sander's had an exhibition match with Mike Tyson that ended up turning into a war ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:23 am

Ali wrote:Is it true Sander's had an exhibition match with Mike Tyson that ended up turning into a war ?

Geeze I never heard that story. When was this?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:24 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali wrote:Is it true Sander's had an exhibition match with Mike Tyson that ended up turning into a war ?

Geeze I never heard that story. When was this?

I can't recall where I read this, it might have been in an old Ring issue.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:24 am

You're thinking of Corey "T-Rex" Sanders
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:28 am

GrantZilla wrote:You're thinking of Corey "T-Rex" Sanders

D'oh.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:29 am

Ali wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:You're thinking of Corey "T-Rex" Sanders

D'oh.

Don't feel bad, I never heard of this either!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next