The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could Dan Henderson be on his way back to the UFC? "Fatso" needs to talk to "Ugly"

Go down

Could Dan Henderson be on his way back to the UFC? "Fatso" needs to talk to "Ugly" Empty Could Dan Henderson be on his way back to the UFC? "Fatso" needs to talk to "Ugly"

Post  freakzilla Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:58 pm

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24723/could-dan-henderson-be-on-his-way-back-to-the-ufc-fatso-needs-to-talk-to-ugly.mma

By now, it's no secret that Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson (28-8 MMA, 3-1 SF) is currently a free agent.

And while the sport's newest cliché (other than "stripping down to his Hallmans"), "business as usual," remains the guiding principle behind Strikeforce's business plan, UFC president Dana White admits there's a chance Henderson could soon make the leap back into the octagon.

It all depends on what happens when "Fatso" talks to "Ugly."

"Dan Henderson is in the mix," White told a small group of reporters following Saturday night's UFC 133 event. "Me and old ugly got to get together and talk and figure stuff out first.

"I texted him. I said, 'Hey, ugly. You ready to talk?' He said, 'Whenever you're ready fatso.'"

White first hinted Henderson could return to the UFC this past Thursday when White admitted he had at least some interest in bringing the 40-year-old back into the fold. Of course, just as when Henderson elected to leave the promotion following a UFC 100 win over Michael Bisping, the longtime veteran and the UFC boss could be miles apart on financial plans.

"We'll see what happens," White said this past Thursday. "'Hendo' and I have had some history in dealings. We'll see if we can figure something out and get him back in the UFC."

The time seems to be right. Riding the strength of an impressive win over Fedor Emelianenko – a longtime thorn in the UFC boss' side – Henderson is now an impressive 6-1 in his past seven fights, and he nearly knocked out Jake Shields in the lone loss of that stretch.

White didn't set a deadline for making a decision, but more information should come out over the next several weeks. More than anything, White seemed happy that a once-stagnant light heavyweight division was finally back to work.

Former champ Rashad Evans fought for the first time in 14 months. Once on his career deathbed, Tito Ortiz is suddenly relevant again. Former champions Forrest Griffin and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua will square off in Brazil, and current champ Jon Jones meets Quinton "Rampage" Jackson shortly after.

Add in the possibility of an MMA legend returning to the ranks, and 205 pounds is again a marquee division for the promotion.

"It's good to get this light heavyweight division going again," White said. "You get a title fight in September. (Lyoto) Machida is looking for a fight. Rashad is back in the mix now.

"The log jam is over."
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down