The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

matthew saad muhammed

5 posters

Go down

matthew saad muhammed  Empty matthew saad muhammed

Post  Rum Capital Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:05 am

so i never saw this guy fight (i was a kid) back in the days but i've been watching a lot of his fights in youtube and the guys simply amazing. yet i look at his record and he has lots of losses, why is that? did he continue fighting after his prime was he robbed a lot or what?
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

matthew saad muhammed  Empty Re: matthew saad muhammed

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:12 am

Rum Capital wrote:so i never saw this guy fight (i was a kid) back in the days but i've been watching a lot of his fights in youtube and the guys simply amazing. yet i look at his record and he has lots of losses, why is that? did he continue fighting after his prime was he robbed a lot or what?

Miracle Matthew is one of my all-time favorites. I was living near Philly in the those days and the guy was seen as a municipal treasure. He really had little amateur pedigree so he learned in the pro's and started 15-3. The three losses? Future LHW champ Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, future cruiser champ Marvin Camel and a nobody. When he took out Marvin Johnsoin he took off and for 3-4 years he was unbeaten. But he was in a gazillion wars (hence his nickname) and he got worn down and then HOFer Dwight Qawi tgook him out twice and that was it. But Saad kept fighting and after the second Qawi loss went 7-11-1 in his last 19 fights.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:16 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Rum Capital wrote:so i never saw this guy fight (i was a kid) back in the days but i've been watching a lot of his fights in youtube and the guys simply amazing. yet i look at his record and he has lots of losses, why is that? did he continue fighting after his prime was he robbed a lot or what?

Miracle Matthew is one of my all-time favorites. I was living near Philly in the those days and the guy was seen as a municipal treasure. He really had little amateur pedigree so he learned in the pro's and started 15-3. The three losses? Future LHW champ Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, future cruiser champ Marvin Camel and a nobody. When he took out Marvin Johnsoin he took off and for 3-4 years he was unbeaten. But he was in a gazillion wars (hence his nickname) and he got worn down and then HOFer Dwight Qawi tgook him out twice and that was it. But Saad kept fighting and after the second Qawi loss went 7-11-1 in his last 19 fights.
that's what i figured that he kept on fighting after he souldn't have. where do you rank his second war with lopez in all time fights?
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 am

Talk about entertaining...he was as much fun to watch as he was exasperating.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:24 am

Rum Capital wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

that's what i figured that he kept on fighting after he souldn't have. where do you rank his second war with lopez in all time fights?

The eighth round of that fight is one of THE great boxing rounds I have ever seen. Yaqui Lopez was a tremendous fighter. The only reason he never won a title? He faced HOFers in their prime each of the three times he tried. That fight is one of the 10-20 best I have ever seen. But I'm not even sure that's his most exciting fight. His title defense against Marvin Johnson (their second fight) is something to behold too.

One thing to watch in the Lopez fight in the eighth round is Saad's work with his left hand. He throws 22 consecutive punches, jabs, hooks and uppercuts with just his left hand. He is viewed as a banger and yet he had the skill to do that. How many guys could do that? Of course after about 20 Yaqui figured it out and after Saad landed number 22 The Indian dropped a HUGE right in Miracle Matthew.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:25 am

flapanther2001 wrote:Talk about entertaining...he was as much fun to watch as he was exasperating.

While he was a far better fighter, he had some Gatti in him in that Saad never met a punch he could dodge.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:29 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Rum Capital wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

The eighth round of that fight is one of THE great boxing rounds I have ever seen. Yaqui Lopez was a tremendous fighter. The only reason he never won a title? He faced HOFers in their prime each of the three times he tried. That fight is one of the 10-20 best I have ever seen. But I'm not even sure that's his most exciting fight. His title defense against Marvin Johnson (their second fight) is something to behold too.

One thing to watch in the Lopez fight in the eighth round is Saad's work with his left hand. He throws 22 consecutive punches, jabs, hooks and uppercuts with just his left hand. He is viewed as a banger and yet he had the skill to do that. How many guys could do that? Of course after about 20 Yaqui figured it out and after Saad landed number 22 The Indian dropped a HUGE right in Miracle Matthew.

yeah that was great
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:34 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:Talk about entertaining...he was as much fun to watch as he was exasperating.

While he was a far better fighter, he had some Gatti in him in that Saad never met a punch he could dodge.
Yeah....his idea of defense was something you put around your yard. Marble, what part of the country were you in at that time. I was in Philly quite a bit back then.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:35 am

flapanther2001 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Yeah....his idea of defense was something you put around your yard. Marble, what part of the country were you in at that time. I was in Philly quite a bit back then.

THAT was funny!

Phoenixville (near Valley Forge) and then Swarthmore (near Springfield)

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:40 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

THAT was funny!

Oh yeah....just outside of King of Prussia...I was on the other side...Camden, Cherry Hill.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:45 am

flapanther2001 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

THAT was funny!

Oh yeah....just outside of King of Prussia...I was on the other side...Camden, Cherry Hill.

I HATED the Camden Buzzsaw for a long time for the way he treated my boy Matthew.

G'night!

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:46 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

THAT was funny!

I HATED the Camden Buzzsaw for a long time for the way he treated my boy Matthew.

G'night!
Take care Marble...
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:33 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

THAT was funny!

G'night!
Dwight Braxton may be the meanest LH I've ever seeen.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:12 am

when MSM was going to fight that night you knew you were in for a exciting fight..yes a lot of gatti in him for sure at a higher level of course..that era of light heavies any one of 6 or 7 fighters were worthy of the title.eddie gregory was the only one i could not stand to watch.braxton lopez MSM johnston galindez were all you better bring your lunch type of fighters..gregory was the ill screw up a free lunch type of fighter lol..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 pm

dmar5143 wrote:when MSM was going to fight that night you knew you were in for a exciting fight..yes a lot of gatti in him for sure at a higher level of course..that era of light heavies any one of 6 or 7 fighters were worthy of the title.eddie gregory was the only one i could not stand to watch.braxton lopez MSM johnston galindez were all you better bring your lunch type of fighters..gregory was the ill screw up a free lunch type of fighter lol..

And heck guys like John Conteh and James Scott and Richie Kates and Jerry Celestine and even Mike Rossman were no joke.

And I agree, Eddie Gregory/MM was the guy who didn't get the most out of his talent.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:59 pm

Eddie Mustapha Muhammad was a very underrated fighter in my opinion.The man reminded me of Jimmy Young,a guy who wasn't fun to watch,but always gave the top guys a tough time.

Keep in mind he lost to Bennie Briscoe as a middleweight,but moved up to fight the best 175lber's of his era.In 59 professional fights,he lost eight times,and was stopped only in his last fight at the age of 36.He also lost a controversial decision to Renaldo Snipes in a fight where EMM was outweighed by 15 lbs.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:21 pm

I thought for a while that Matthew Saad Muhammed was going to be the next big thing at Light-Heavyweight, but although Matthew had his moments during his career, he never really made it to the upper echelon of great Lt. Heavyweights. If i'm not mistaken Matthew had some issues with dope, and I think that had a lot to do with ruining his shot at the bigtime.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:42 pm

Ring wrote:I thought for a while that Matthew Saad Muhammed was going to be the next big thing at Light-Heavyweight, but although Matthew had his moments during his career, he never really made it to the upper echelon of great Lt. Heavyweights. If i'm not mistaken Matthew had some issues with dope, and I think that had a lot to do with ruining his shot at the bigtime.

Alot of fighters had their issues with cocaine in the 80's.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:07 pm

Ring wrote:I thought for a while that Matthew Saad Muhammed was going to be the next big thing at Light-Heavyweight, but although Matthew had his moments during his career, he never really made it to the upper echelon of great Lt. Heavyweights. If i'm not mistaken Matthew had some issues with dope, and I think that had a lot to do with ruining his shot at the bigtime.

Respectfully...
WTF are you TALKING about????? He was the lineal 175 king with 8-9 defenses and beat over a dozen ranked guys. The guys is properly in the Hall of Fame. He was one of the very best in what might have been the greatest era of light heavies in history!

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:10 pm

Matthew was a Big-time player in the BEST era of the lightheavyweight division. He would have eaten Roy Jones Jr. and Darius Michalcewski for breakfast. (RJJ would have avoided him of course. ! LOL)

Seriously, the CONTENDERS in the era were BETTER than ANYONE RJJ or DM ever saw in a ring. Irate Michael Spinks the top lightheavy of all-time because he ruled that era of fighter. It was the Ali,Frazier,Foreman, Lyle, Shavers, Patterson, Liston, Norton type era of that division. just LOADED with great and very good fighters. LOADED!

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:13 pm

boxinglawyer wrote: Matthew was a Big-time player in the BEST era of the lightheavyweight division. He would have eaten Roy Jones Jr. and Darius Michalcewski for breakfast. (RJJ would have avoided him of course. ! LOL) Seriously, the CONTENDERS in the era were BETTER than ANYONE RJJ or DM ever saw in a ring. Irate Michael Spinks the top lightheavy of all-time because he ruled that era of fighter. It was the Ali,Frazier,Foreman, Lyle, Shavers, Patterson, Liston, Norton type era of that division. just LOADED with great and very good fighters. LOADED!

Of course Roy would have avoided him! He wasn't a cop or a cab driver!
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:15 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:

Respectfully...
WTF are you TALKING about????? He was the lineal 175 king with 8-9 defenses and beat over a dozen ranked guys. The guys is properly in the Hall of Fame. He was one of the very best in what might have been the greatest era of light heavies in history!

Simmer down Mr Marble.. Smile

Like I said Matthew had his moments, he had some nice wins, and held a LHW title for a few years. He was however, very inconsistant, had a ton of losses (16), and was KTFO 8 times. I believe he had the potential to be one of the "very best", but he never lived up to it, mainly because he liked putting snow up his nose. Do I think he belongs in the BHOF? Hell no!

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:19 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:

Alot of fighters had their issues with cocaine in the 80's.

Many people in general had issues with nose candy during the 80s.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:51 pm

Ring wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Respectfully...

Simmer down Mr Marble.. Smile

Like I said Matthew had his moments, he had some nice wins, and held a LHW title for a few years. He was however, very inconsistant, had a ton of losses (16), and was KTFO 8 times. I believe he had the potential to be one of the "very best", but he never lived up to it, mainly because he liked putting snow up his nose. Do I think he belongs in the BHOF? Hell no!

WOW, just WOW! The guy just stayed too long. In his last 19 fights he went 7-11-1. Of his other five losses two were to HOFer Qawi, one was to linear cruiser champ Marvin Camel and another to EMM. I'm just not sure how the guy who was the king of the division for nine defenses all against ranked guys when that division is at its VERY best doesn't belong in the HOF.

Come on Ring! Put up your dukes, put up your Dukes [does the Cowardly Lion walkaround]

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down