The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heavyweight Boxing Trivia

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Heavyweight Boxing Trivia Empty Heavyweight Boxing Trivia

Post  ScottLevinson Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:14 pm

In 1962, Sonny Liston KO'd Floyd Patterson for the Heavyweight Title. He weighed 213 pounds. Name the last fighter before Liston to win the Heavyweight Title weighing over 200 pounds.

What heavyweight made the most amount of money in purses without ever having won a heavyweight title?

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Heavyweight Boxing Trivia Empty Re: Heavyweight Boxing Trivia

Post  gomez1012 Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:20 pm

ScottLevinson wrote:In 1962, Sonny Liston KO'd Floyd Patterson for the Heavyweight Title. He weighed 213 pounds. Name the last fighter before Liston to win the Heavyweight Title weighing over 200 pounds.

What heavyweight made the most amount of money in purses without ever having won a heavyweight title?

Butterbean! (just a guess)
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:26 pm

ScottLevinson wrote:In 1962, Sonny Liston KO'd Floyd Patterson for the Heavyweight Title. He weighed 213 pounds. Name the last fighter before Liston to win the Heavyweight Title weighing over 200 pounds.

johannsen?

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:28 pm

gomez1012 wrote:

Butterbean! (just a guess)

tua?

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottLevinson Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:29 pm

Butterbean probably made a decent piece of coin, but nowhere near the guy I'm thinking of.

Johannson often scaled over 200, just not when he beat Patterson.

Good guesses though.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottLevinson Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Not Tua. Though he might be pretty close to the top for non-champions. What did he make in the Lewis fight? It must have been a lot.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:36 pm

I cheated but I think the answer to the 200lb one is Max Baer.

I have no idea on the second one.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:38 pm

ScottLevinson wrote:Butterbean probably made a decent piece of coin, but nowhere near the guy I'm thinking of.

Johannson often scaled over 200, just not when he beat Patterson.

Good guesses though.

That would of been my guess

I thought I read Tua was still making $500k in New Zealand, but everybody has a hand in that cookie jar

Is it Joe Louis? that far back?
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottLevinson Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Yeah it was Baer, who was somewhere like 210 when he beat Carnera.

2nd one isn't that hard.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:40 pm

ScottLevinson wrote:Yeah it was Baer, who was somewhere like 210 when he beat Carnera.

2nd one isn't that hard.

thats what she said

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottLevinson Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:42 pm

I guess it could be Tua. I don't really have an official source for any of this, but I'm just assuming I'm thinking of the right guy.

I just don't think he cleared more than the guy I'm thinking of.

I actually thoght the second place guy would be Razor Ruddock, who made a bundle, especially in the 2nd Tyson fight, not to mention big paydays in the first Tyson fight, the Morrison fight, the Lewis fight, and so on. I'm pretty sure Razor made more than Tua ever did.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:59 pm

ScottLevinson wrote:I guess it could be Tua. I don't really have an official source for any of this, but I'm just assuming I'm thinking of the right guy.

I actually thoght the second place guy would be Razor Ruddock, who made a bundle, especially in the 2nd Tyson fight, not to mention big paydays in the first Tyson fight, the Morrison fight, the Lewis fight, and so on. I'm pretty sure Razor made more than Tua ever did.

i remember hearing somewhere that tua made over 20 mil in his career, which is pretty high for someone who never won a title, i know he did make 500k for a fight back in 09 as someone mentioned above.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottLevinson Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:04 pm

BoxingGenius wrote:
ScottLevinson wrote:I guess it could be Tua. I don't really have an official source for any of this, but I'm just assuming I'm thinking of the right guy.

i remember hearing somewhere that tua made over 20 mil in his career, which is pretty high for someone who never won a title, i know he did make 500k for a fight back in 09 as someone mentioned above.

I just don't see in what fights Tua could have come anywhere near 20 mil. I'm sure he made nice money in those fights in his neck of the woods, like the Cameron fight and whatever. And the Lewis payday was probably a ton, just nowhere near the 8 mil number I've heard thrown around. That wasn't even PPV. Unless it was in the Australia/New Zealand area and he got some crazy cut of that action.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:06 pm

BoxingGenius wrote:

Cedrick Kushner must have a chunk of it lol
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:09 pm

Found this

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/phil-taylor/news/article.cfm?a_id=125&objectid=3554459

David Tua discovered he had lost control of his $20 million earnings after raiding the offices of Tuaman Inc. In court documents, he accuses Martin Pugh of forgery and misappropriating money in all directions. It is alleged hundreds of thousands of dollars went on furnishing Pugh's house and that payments were made to a company, Sports Tech, owned by Pugh associate Richard Gregory, formerly Richard Booth, who was jailed in 1995 for an insurance scam. A 50ha block at Pakiri and an inner-Auckland penthouse were not the boxer's sole property. Long-time manager Kevin Barry has sided with Pugh, accusing Tua in his affidavit of greed and dishonesty.
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:09 pm

ScottLevinson wrote:
BoxingGenius wrote:

I just don't see in what fights Tua could have come anywhere near 20 mil. I'm sure he made nice money in those fights in his neck of the woods, like the Cameron fight and whatever. And the Lewis payday was probably a ton, just nowhere near the 8 mil number I've heard thrown around. That wasn't even PPV. Unless it was in the Australia/New Zealand area and he got some crazy cut of that action.

well he has had over 50 fights, im sure he made decent change against lewis, byrd, and rahman. probably someone out there who has made more i was just thinking recent fighters due to the fact that paydays are insanely higher today than in other generations.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottLevinson Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:10 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
BoxingGenius wrote:

Cedrick Kushner must have a chunk of it lol

I think the fact that Tua is to the curb now attests to the fact that he never made no mf 20 million dollars.

10 million might not be that far off though.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:10 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Found this

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/phil-taylor/news/article.cfm?a_id=125&objectid=3554459

David Tua discovered he had lost control of his $20 million earnings after raiding the offices of Tuaman Inc. In court documents, he accuses Martin Pugh of forgery and misappropriating money in all directions. It is alleged hundreds of thousands of dollars went on furnishing Pugh's house and that payments were made to a company, Sports Tech, owned by Pugh associate Richard Gregory, formerly Richard Booth, who was jailed in 1995 for an insurance scam. A 50ha block at Pakiri and an inner-Auckland penthouse were not the boxer's sole property. Long-time manager Kevin Barry has sided with Pugh, accusing Tua in his affidavit of greed and dishonesty.

lol well he did earn 20 mil at least?

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottLevinson Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:12 pm

Good points Genius. He probably made a couple mil all told from those Ibeabuchi, Byrd, Rahman, Maskaev fights. He didn't make much in the beginning of his career.

You're on the right track thinking of a modern guy. But there was actually a time not so long ago where there was a lot more money in the sport.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottLevinson Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:16 pm

That article notwithstanding, I would need someone to give me at least a vague rundown on how he could have possibly made 20 million dollars.

He has a handful of paydays in the hundreds of thousands area. Then 1 major payday against Lewis. I can't remember ever seeing him on PPV. I know he gets a lot of support in New Zealand, but unless he was getting 2 mil a pop to beat guys like Friday Ahunanya, there's just no way it comes out to 20 mil.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:19 pm

ScottLevinson wrote:That article notwithstanding, I would need someone to give me at least a vague rundown on how he could have possibly made 20 million dollars.

He has a handful of paydays in the hundreds of thousands area. Then 1 major payday against Lewis. I can't remember ever seeing him on PPV. I know he gets a lot of support in New Zealand, but unless he was getting 2 mil a pop to beat guys like Friday Ahunanya, there's just no way it comes out to 20 mil.

according to this he made 12 mil in the lewis fight, if thats true hes easily over 20 careerwise id say.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/606605-david-tuaman-tua-shocker-battles-homelessness-as-he-embarks-on-final-run

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:22 pm

According the article he made 6 million for Lewis

Found this as well
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/4216238/Taxman-pulls-no-punches-on-David-Tua
Tua's financially stricken state was also a factor in his rejection of a lowball $400,000 world title fight offer from Wladimir Klitschko last month – with tax and training and promotional expenses deducted, what little that was left would have been consumed by his outstanding debt.

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottLevinson Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:27 pm

That article could be right, it could be wrong.

Isn't it a little hard to believe Tua made 12 million for the Lewis fight, though? It wasn't even on PPV unless I'm mistaken. And it was a semi-big fight, hardly the blockbuster that would warrant him getting a payday that exceeds what a lot bigger-time fighters made in HUGE fights.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:31 pm

ScottLevinson wrote:That article could be right, it could be wrong.

Isn't it a little hard to believe Tua made 12 million for the Lewis fight, though? It wasn't even on PPV unless I'm mistaken. And it was a semi-big fight, hardly the blockbuster that would warrant him getting a payday that exceeds what a lot bigger-time fighters made in HUGE fights.

6 mil i buy, 12 seems way out of line for that time period
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:39 pm

An agreement was reached yesterday for Lennox Lewis to defend the WBC-IBF heavyweight titles against David Tua on Nov. 11 in either Toronto or Las Vegas.

Tua (37-1) is guaranteed $3.5 million plus a percentage of pay-per-view profits for the fight.

The fight will be an IBF mandatory title defense for Lewis (37-1-1), who said he could make more than $10 million from the fight on TVKO.

http://articles.philly.com/2000-08-16/sports/25593106_1_david-tua-tua-fight-ibf
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next