The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miguel Cotto vs Antonio Margarito II set for the Garden

+5
captainanddew
SlickMoney
GrantZilla
gomez1012
Rum Capital
9 posters

Go down

Miguel Cotto vs Antonio Margarito II set for the Garden Empty Miguel Cotto vs Antonio Margarito II set for the Garden

Post  Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:08 pm

Junior middleweight titlist Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito, who are putting the finishing touches on a deal for a Dec. 3 rematch, will meet at New York's Madison Square Garden, Top Rank president Todd duBoef told ESPN.com on Wednesday.

DuBoef said he was in New York and finalized the agreement with Garden officials.

"Everything is being finalized for the fight and when it is, we'll be at Madison Square Garden," duBoef said of the famed arena, which is undergoing a significant renovation. "Madison Square Garden is one of the most important arenas in the country and I like doing events here. Miguel has a big fan base here and we want those fans to see him again."

When Cotto (36-2, 29 KOs) and Margarito (38-7, 27 KOs) met in 2008, they waged their memorable welterweight title bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, where Margarito's Mexican fans were out in force. He came on strong in the fight's second half to stop Cotto in the 11th round of a bloody battle, a win later tainted when Margarito was caught trying to enter the ring in his next fight, against Shane Mosley, wearing loaded hand wraps.

Many believe he got away with wearing illegal gloves in the fight with Cotto.

When they meet in the rematch, which will be on pay-per-view and for Cotto's 154-pound belt, they'll do it in front of Cotto's passionate Puerto Rican fans.

Cotto has always drawn big crowds in New York -- for the six fights he has headlined at Madison Square Garden and when he headlined at Yankee Stadium last June, when he stopped Yuri Foreman in the ninth round to win his title.

"When you look at the electricity of previous Miguel Cotto fights that have been at the Garden and the magnitude of this event, the Garden was the perfect place to do it," duBoef said. "Both guys were open to it. It's great to be back at a big venue in a big city to keep boxing at the forefront.

The MGM Grand was the other venue Top Rank had been looking at for Cotto-Margarito II.

Cotto is coming off a 12th-round knockout of former titlist Ricardo Mayorga on March 12.

Margarito took a beating in November in a fight for a vacant junior middleweight belt against pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao. Margarito has not fought since because he has been recovering from a broken orbital bone and cataract surgery in his right eye, injuries both suffered in the fight against Pacquiao.

Top Rank has not determined whether Showtime or HBO will handle the pay-per-view production and distribution of the fight.

Company chief Bob Arum has said the network he makes a deal with for Pacquiao's third fight with Juan Manuel Marquez on Nov. 12 will have the rights to both bouts. A decision on that is expected before the end of July.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/6787381/madison-square-garden-host-miguel-cotto-antonio-margarito-ii

Back to top Go down

Miguel Cotto vs Antonio Margarito II set for the Garden Empty Re: Miguel Cotto vs Antonio Margarito II set for the Garden

Post  Rum Capital Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:14 pm

YYYEEESSS
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Miguel Cotto vs Antonio Margarito II set for the Garden Empty Re: Miguel Cotto vs Antonio Margarito II set for the Garden

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Whats with the delay on the SHO or HBO ppv decision?
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:16 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Whats with the delay on the SHO or HBO ppv decision?

I think it's a clash between Arum and DuBoef. I think Arum is fine with going back to HBO, but DuBoef is wanting to stay with CBS-Showtime. It's DuBoef who's been pushing to get boxing on bigger platforms.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:29 pm

GrantZilla wrote:

I think it's a clash between Arum and DuBoef. I think Arum is fine with going back to HBO, but DuBoef is wanting to stay with CBS-Showtime. It's DuBoef who's been pushing to get boxing on bigger platforms.

I hope DuBoef gets his way
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:06 am

cheers

I'm there, front row.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:03 pm

Arum has become dramatic in his old age, he's keeping everyone in suspense.

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:10 am

If Yuriorkis Gamboa beats Ponce De Leon on Sept. 10, Top Rank's plan calls for Gamboa to return 12/3 on the Cotto-Margarito II PPV. #boxing

http://twitter.com/#!/danrafaelespn/status/95696370018684928

Hopefully its against Top 10 comp. Gamboa vs Jhonny Gonzalez would be nice.

Why not have JuanMa-Salido 2 on this too?
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:22 am

SlickMoney wrote:
If Yuriorkis Gamboa beats Ponce De Leon on Sept. 10, Top Rank's plan calls for Gamboa to return 12/3 on the Cotto-Margarito II PPV. #boxing

http://twitter.com/#!/danrafaelespn/status/95696370018684928

Hopefully its against Top 10 comp. Gamboa vs Jhonny Gonzalez would be nice.

Why not have JuanMa-Salido 2 on this too?

I agree. Put Juanma Salido on there. That would be a huge rematch.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Suavecito80 Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:09 am

this crap is going to be on PPV?? seriously?? I understand the first fight but not now both are on the decline. the undercard better be good.
Suavecito80
Suavecito80

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:24 pm

Suavecito80 wrote:this crap is going to be on PPV?? seriously?? I understand the first fight but not now both are on the decline. the undercard better be good.

The first fight generated 500,000 buys, and there was no way Arum was never going to milk the whole plaster/revenge angle.

Back to top Go down

Post  Suavecito80 Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:43 pm

Ali wrote:
Suavecito80 wrote:this crap is going to be on PPV?? seriously?? I understand the first fight but not now both are on the decline. the undercard better be good.

The first fight generated 500,000 buys, and there was no way Arum was never going to milk the whole plaster/revenge angle.

i guess your right but they were fighting for #1 spot in the division. now they are both on the downside and have gotten waxed in previous fights. I wont be ordering I might catch a stream though.
Suavecito80
Suavecito80

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:29 pm

It's going to be a bloodthirsty mob at MSG, will be a GREAT atmosphere for the fight.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  Norm1023 Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:07 pm

I'll order this one, although I don't think the result will change.
Norm1023
Norm1023

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:07 am

NJBeatdown86 wrote:It's going to be a bloodthirsty mob at MSG, will be a GREAT atmosphere for the fight.

I agree. It could top the atmosphere of Cotto-Zab.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:46 am

Won't have the summer heat/ P.R parade factor, but the payback angle will make this a crazy atmosphere. That, and the long time since Cotto's last MSG fight.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:43 pm

Suavecito80 wrote:
Ali wrote:

i guess your right but they were fighting for #1 spot in the division. now they are both on the downside and have gotten waxed in previous fights. I wont be ordering I might catch a stream though.

Why not ? the first fight was a classic, and with each man declining they'll be forced to slug it out more.

Back to top Go down

Post  Suavecito80 Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:42 pm

Ali wrote:
Suavecito80 wrote:
Ali wrote:

Why not ? the first fight was a classic, and with each man declining they'll be forced to slug it out more.

i dont know. if the undercard is good than I may. I will see.
Suavecito80
Suavecito80

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:55 pm

I heard that Rodriguez-Wolak II may be on the undercard
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:00 am

NJBeatdown86 wrote:I heard that Rodriguez-Wolak II may be on the undercard

Fingers crossed.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:52 pm

Ali wrote:
NJBeatdown86 wrote:I heard that Rodriguez-Wolak II may be on the undercard

Fingers crossed.
That's what they were talking about on FNF last week. They had both guys on the phone talking about the fight and Rodriguez suggested that card as a good landing spot because it tied into the rematch theme. I know the fighters are up for it. Let's hope their promoters get on the ball.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:55 pm

jamesa (ottawa)
Does Kirkland step up after two "confidence builders" or does he take on another easy target? .

Dan Rafael (12:36 PM)
Ann Wolfe wants him to fight a real opponent and I think that is what they will try to do. I have heard rumblings about a possible fight with Delvin Rodriguez.

----

Steve (VA) You said Delvin might be next for Kirkland but arent they talking about Wolak-Delvin 2 on the Cotto-Margo undercard?

Dan Rafael (12:54 PM)
It's a fluid situation. There are a variety of possibilities, but nothing is set yet. Having spoken to Cameron Dunkin, Wolak's new manager, I do not believe the rematch with Delvin will happen at this point.

No rematch, but the rumored fights are really good
Delvin vs Kirkland & Wolak vs K9! cheers
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:48 pm

Would rather have the rematch at The Garden.

Back to top Go down

Post  Norm1023 Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:13 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
jamesa (ottawa)
Does Kirkland step up after two "confidence builders" or does he take on another easy target? .

Dan Rafael (12:36 PM)
Ann Wolfe wants him to fight a real opponent and I think that is what they will try to do. I have heard rumblings about a possible fight with Delvin Rodriguez.

----

Steve (VA) You said Delvin might be next for Kirkland but arent they talking about Wolak-Delvin 2 on the Cotto-Margo undercard?

Dan Rafael (12:54 PM)
It's a fluid situation. There are a variety of possibilities, but nothing is set yet. Having spoken to Cameron Dunkin, Wolak's new manager, I do not believe the rematch with Delvin will happen at this point.

No rematch, but the rumored fights are really good
Delvin vs Kirkland & Wolak vs K9! cheers

I don't like Kirkland-Rodriguez. Delvin needs a softer touch after that fight.

He knows what to expect from Wolak but Kirkland is back with that crazy bitch. Not good for Delvin.
Norm1023
Norm1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:27 pm

I don't like that fight either, I envision Kirkland feasting on Rodriguez's corpse in vicious manner.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down