The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antonio Margarito vs. Miguel Cotto Thread

+2
captainanddew
Shaun
6 posters

Go down

Antonio Margarito vs. Miguel Cotto Thread Empty Antonio Margarito vs. Miguel Cotto Thread

Post  Shaun Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:52 am

It looks like this will be both fighters' next fight. There are some questions that still need to be answered.

1) What weight will the fight be at? Cotto would be smart to demand 147 and/or negotiate a catch weight. Margacheato doesn't deserve any gifts for this match. We all know Cotto isn't as sharp at 154.

2) Which fighter is the most worn out? They both can still fight, but they are definitely on the downswing.

3) Where will the fight take place? Arum is big on getting stadiums for fights. This is the type of fight that should be in a stadium for sure.

4) How bad did the Mosley/Pacquiao beatings affect Margarito?

Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Antonio Margarito vs. Miguel Cotto Thread Empty Re: Antonio Margarito vs. Miguel Cotto Thread

Post  captainanddew Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:06 am

shdavistx wrote:It looks like this will be both fighters' next fight. There are some questions that still need to be answered.

1) What weight will the fight be at? Cotto would be smart to demand 147 and/or negotiate a catch weight. Margacheato doesn't deserve any gifts for this match. We all know Cotto isn't as sharp at 154.
2) Which fighter is the most worn out? They both can still fight, but they are definitely on the downswing.

3) Where will the fight take place? Arum is big on getting stadiums for fights. This is the type of fight that should be in a stadium for sure.

4) How bad did the Mosley/Pacquiao beatings affect Margarito?

All the points you raised are ones I have been throwing out there. But the bolded one is one I was saying Saturday night (during the fight) and since the fight. Cotto is rather small for 154. I was banging the move down to 147 drum and I still am.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Antonio Margarito vs. Miguel Cotto Thread Empty Re: Antonio Margarito vs. Miguel Cotto Thread

Post  Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:57 am

your a 154 pound belt holder you fight at 154 or less.not 150 or less.both have erroded skills for sure.margos relexes have slowed a bit and cotto i felt was always a decent fighter for sure but no where near a great one nor a duriable one.yes 147 is his best option for sure.
in the past fights like this between 2 fighters on the decline but still in the publics eye a viable fighter have usualy done well..a good venue for the fight seat wise yes.a statuim why..i dont see this as a 25000-40 000 seat fight.ticket prices should be modest but unless its a area of tons of mexicans and PR its no where near a statuim fight..arum of course will keep his options open and will fine tune his salesmenship but ill guarentee one thing..the fight wont be in detroit.

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:59 am

dmar5143 wrote:your a 154 pound belt holder you fight at 154 or less.not 150 or less.both have erroded skills for sure.margos relexes have slowed a bit and cotto i felt was always a decent fighter for sure but no where near a great one nor a duriable one.yes 147 is his best option for sure.
in the past fights like this between 2 fighters on the decline but still in the publics eye a viable fighter have usualy done well..a good venue for the fight seat wise yes.a statuim why..i dont see this as a 25000-40 000 seat fight.ticket prices should be modest but unless its a area of tons of mexicans and PR its no where near a statuim fight..arum of course will keep his options open and will fine tune his salesmenship but ill guarentee one thing..the fight wont be in detroit.

Didn't Cotto sell 25k fighting Foreman? He can do it again vs. Margarito for sure. Maybe Arum should look into the Miami area. Don't they have a large PR community there?

The other important thing I forgot to mention is the obvious. The hand wraps. Will Cotto be able to take the punches? He took Pacquiao's punches...

Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:09 am

ny city is a area im sure bob is looking at.from what i understand the gardens out due to renervations.yes foreman had a good ny city jewish following and cotto has a good following also..if prices are low yes a good PR crowd would support cotto and a pr-mexcian rivalry is a selling point.margo is slow and erroded more.this fight is not a fight im interested in at all.
cotto took a beating in both pac and margo fights.of course the hand wrap stuff will get a large amount of play.
no matter how they sell it im not excited about this lousy fight.sorry.

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:11 am

dmar5143 wrote:ny city is a area im sure bob is looking at.from what i understand the gardens out due to renervations.yes foreman had a good ny city jewish following and cotto has a good following also..if prices are low yes a good PR crowd would support cotto and a pr-mexcian rivalry is a selling point.margo is slow and erroded more.this fight is not a fight im interested in at all.
cotto took a beating in both pac and margo fights.of course the hand wrap stuff will get a large amount of play.
no matter how they sell it im not excited about this lousy fight.sorry.

Lousy fight? It's a rematch of the 2007 fight of the year and both fighters are considered top 147/154 pound fighters. They aren't fighting for the RING championship, they are fighting for everything that boxing is about: pride, heart, and proving that you are better than your opponent.

They are doing what Oscar and Trinidad should have done.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:18 am

who outside the wbc considers margo a top 154 pound fighter.the rematch is 3 and a half years too late.id much rather see berto-cotto and margo-angulo go in mexico before 60 000 fans ..a old vetren on the decline against a young rising star..not a fight between 2 fading fighters.
you can get excited about the fight thats ok..im not and thats ok..

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:24 am

dmar5143 wrote:who outside the wbc considers margo a top 154 pound fighter.the rematch is 3 and a half years too late.id much rather see berto-cotto and margo-angulo go in mexico before 60 000 fans ..a old vetren on the decline against a young rising star..not a fight between 2 fading fighters.
you can get excited about the fight thats ok..im not and thats ok..

Those fights you listed are also good, but there is unfinished business between these two fighters. If they don't fight now, the debate between the two fighters will never come to an end due to the assumption of Margo's hand wraps.

As for Margo not being a top 10, 154 pounder, this has nothing to do with the 154 pound division. Cotto has paid his dues as a professional prize fighter. This is unfinished business from the 147 pound division.

Lastly, this fight is guaranteed to be TV friendly and will get good publicity.

Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:31 am

i agree the fight will be tv friendly provided its not a ppv.

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:05 am

dmar5143 wrote:i agree the fight will be tv friendly provided its not a ppv.

Oh, it will definitely be PPV... and it should be. It will sell a lot of tickets, generate a lot of money, and will easily sell 800k PPVs.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:09 am

shdavistx wrote:

Oh, it will definitely be PPV... and it should be. It will sell a lot of tickets, generate a lot of money, and will easily sell 800k PPVs.

Yeah, I'd rather see 2 guys at their peak on PPV, but it is a matchup guaranteed to have action and drama. If Arum puts together a good undercard I probably will buy it.

Cotto-is he at his peak-no. But he should really be at 147 where I'd favor him over anyone not named Pac or Floyd.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:12 am

captainanddew wrote:
shdavistx wrote:

Yeah, I'd rather see 2 guys at their peak on PPV, but it is a matchup guaranteed to have action and drama. If Arum puts together a good undercard I probably will buy it.

Cotto-is he at his peak-no. But he should really be at 147 where I'd favor him over anyone not named Pac or Floyd.

My wish is that this fight isn't at 154. I don't like catch weights, but I feel in this situation that a catch weight fight is reasonable simply because it's an advantage for Cotto. I have no problem with him having advantages in this fight (ring size choice, glove choice, weight choice, venue choice) after Margarito loaded his gloves.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:20 am

800 000 possibly with the pr and mexican fans getting hyped up for the fight but i think thats a stretch..it will do respectable numbers..
i may be the only one that thinks margo did not load up his gloves for cotto or anyone else outside mosley..and he got caught..now mosley was with balco for a fairly long while and how many fights did he do peds with yet shane gets a pass compared to margo..

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:23 pm

Margarito just has Cotto's number

Saturday showed me that Cotto still has trouble with pressure

Margarito will walk him down and hurt him to the body. Tony might lose his face in the process, but I still think he breaks him down again
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:09 pm

shdavistx wrote:
captainanddew wrote:
shdavistx wrote:

My wish is that this fight isn't at 154. I don't like catch weights, but I feel in this situation that a catch weight fight is reasonable simply because it's an advantage for Cotto. I have no problem with him having advantages in this fight (ring size choice, glove choice, weight choice, venue choice) after Margarito loaded his gloves.

what the fuck kind of logic is this. because there was specualtion around whether Margarito had his gloves loaded against Cotto, and i think he did, i want to see them fight on fair terms. 154lb has been good enough for Cotto in his last 2 outings so this should be no different. i want to see if Cotto really could beat Margarito in a fair man to man fight. i don't think any fighter should be given any advantage in any fight. i think that bigger draws or champions should get bigger splits but issues like these should be on total level terms. man to man on the same playing field IMO, that's what this sport is about and why it is called the Sweet Science.

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:47 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Margarito just has Cotto's number

Saturday showed me that Cotto still has trouble with pressure

Margarito will walk him down and hurt him to the body. Tony might lose his face in the process, but I still think he breaks him down again

+1 Gomez knows the script.

And it'll be even more difficult for Cotto to deal with a strong Jr Middleweight Tony.

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:39 pm

I did notice that Cotto wasted a lot less energy in the Mayorga fight than he did against Margo or Manny for that matter. Maybe Manny Steward is actually helping.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:50 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:I did notice that Cotto wasted a lot less energy in the Mayorga fight than he did against Margo or Manny for that matter. Maybe Manny Steward is actually helping.

his elbows aren't bowed out so much on defense. Before his elbows bowed out and he left a gap up the middle for Tony's uppercut. Also, he isn't doing those weird ass deep knee bends he was doing in the Margarito and Clottey fights.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:01 pm

captainanddew wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:I did notice that Cotto wasted a lot less energy in the Mayorga fight than he did against Margo or Manny for that matter. Maybe Manny Steward is actually helping.

his elbows aren't bowed out so much on defense. Before his elbows bowed out and he left a gap up the middle for Tony's uppercut. Also, he isn't doing those weird ass deep knee bends he was doing in the Margarito and Clottey fights.
Also, he was moving his head & upper torso with less "earmuff" defense.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:49 am

Although Cotto has improved under Manny just look at his competition, Yuri Foreman and Ricardo Mayorga didn't have Cotto on the back foot for more than a minute. Tony will be in his face chasing him for twelve rounds.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:58 pm

shdavistx wrote:1) What weight will the fight be at?
It should be at 154. No catch weights.

shdavistx wrote:2) Which fighter is the most worn out?
Cotto is more worn out, but I think Margo's is more faded and has been a cheater which hurts him now that he has to fight clean.

shdavistx wrote:3) Where will the fight take place?
I'd like to see it in PR, but my guess would be Texas. Maybe NY if they could get sanctioned.

wrote:34) How bad did the Mosley/Pacquiao beatings affect Margarito?
Real bad. Both those guys are punchers and made Margo's face look like meat. And my guess is that Cotto's ability to punch has improved more going up in weight than Margo's ability to take a punch. Margo would have to eat a lot of punches to do to Cotto what he did in their first fight.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down