The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd Mayweather Jr loves his UK fans

+3
Gumby
GrantZilla
gomez1012
7 posters

Go down

Floyd Mayweather Jr loves his UK fans Empty Floyd Mayweather Jr loves his UK fans

Post  Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:11 pm

As Las Vegas prepares for a throng of British supporters for this weekend’s showdown between Amir Khan and Zab Judah, Floyd Mayweather has opted to make an unprecedented gesture.

In preparation for his returns to the ring this September after being on hiatus for more than a year, has invited to the British boxing fans – traveling from the UK as well as those residing in the Las Vegas area - to attend his training session this Thursday July 21 at 3:00pm, to be held at Mayweather Boxing Gym in Las Vegas.

Fans are encouraged to arrive early as a massive turnout is expected.

Mayweather is currently training for a welterweight showdown with current titlist Victor Ortiz on September 17 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The fight will be his first since soundly outpointing Shane Mosley in May 2010, an event which sold more than 1.5 million pay-per-view buys.

http://www.boxingscene.com/british-fans-invited-mayweather-jr-training-session--41724
Floyd Mayweather Jr loves his UK fans Nikeunionjackjacketfloyd2-1

Back to top Go down

Floyd Mayweather Jr loves his UK fans Empty Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr loves his UK fans

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:32 pm

Khan's Army is made of how many people?

3? Shah Khan and his two front teeth
Floyd Mayweather Jr loves his UK fans Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjQ0qfkMAcQHE9r-VfvZUQMkntk1w6OJVx0Hb0stg5jf8ijMts
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Floyd Mayweather Jr loves his UK fans Empty Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr loves his UK fans

Post  GrantZilla Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:18 pm

Mayweather doesn't give a fuck about UK fans or US fans. He cares about the $$$. No doubt he get's a chunk of the UK licence fee or PPV money

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:23 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Mayweather doesn't give a fuck about UK fans or US fans. He cares about the $$$. No doubt he get's a chunk of the UK licence fee or PPV money

I think he likes UK fans more for the most part though. Sees US fans as people who've turned their backs on him and don't appreciate his skills.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Norm1023 Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:21 pm

Gumby wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:Mayweather doesn't give a fuck about UK fans or US fans. He cares about the $$$. No doubt he get's a chunk of the UK licence fee or PPV money

I think he likes UK fans more for the most part though. Sees US fans as people who've turned their backs on him and don't appreciate his skills.

No he sees the US PPV profits and the UK PPV profits for a fight with Khan. He isn't as big of an idiot as Bradley is. If he gets 1.5 million buys in the US and 1 Million buys in the UK for Khan he makes a killing.

This could put the final nail in the coffin of Manny-Floyd ever happening.
Norm1023
Norm1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:01 am

gomez1012 wrote:Khan's Army is made of how many people?

3? Shah Khan and his two front teethFloyd Mayweather Jr loves his UK fans Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjQ0qfkMAcQHE9r-VfvZUQMkntk1w6OJVx0Hb0stg5jf8ijMts
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLMFAO
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:00 pm

I do think Floyd does have a bit of affection for the UK fans, he was blown away with Hatton's fans spirit and support for their guy.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:07 pm

Ali wrote:I do think Floyd does have a bit of affection for the UK fans, he was JEALOUS with Hatton's fans spirit and support for their guy.

Twisted Evil
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:36 pm

Norm1023 wrote:No he sees the US PPV profits and the UK PPV profits for a fight with Khan. He isn't as big of an idiot as Bradley is. If he gets 1.5 million buys in the US and 1 Million buys in the UK for Khan he makes a killing.

He's always been great to the British media though. Well before Khan or even Hatton. I think a lot of it has to do with jealousy too. UK fans support their fighters and US fans tear ours down.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:41 pm

Gumby wrote:
He's always been great to the British media though. Well before Khan or even Hatton. I think a lot of it has to do with jealousy too. UK fans support their fighters and US fans tear ours down.

?????????????
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:43 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Khan's Army is made of how many people?

3? Shah Khan and his two front teeth
Floyd Mayweather Jr loves his UK fans Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjQ0qfkMAcQHE9r-VfvZUQMkntk1w6OJVx0Hb0stg5jf8ijMts

Usually that signals a great singer Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:50 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Gumby wrote:

?????????????

Look at threads about Paul Williams, Chad Dawson, Tim Bradley, Devon Alexander and Floyd Mayweather and look for positive comments. Those are some of the best fighters in the world who are from the US and we rip them apart on a regular basis. Casual fans are just as ruthless.

Fighters in other countries have a lot more national support. A guy like Audley Harrison has a decently strong following in the UK.

It's a cultural thing. US fans are picky and don't care if a guy is from the US. That's not really a factor for them to like him.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:12 pm

Gumby wrote:
Look at threads about Paul Williams, Chad Dawson, Tim Bradley, Devon Alexander and Floyd Mayweather and look for positive comments. Those are some of the best fighters in the world who are from the US and we rip them apart on a regular basis. Casual fans are just as ruthless.

Fighters in other countries have a lot more national support. A guy like Audley Harrison has a decently strong following in the UK.

It's a cultural thing. US fans are picky and don't care if a guy is from the US. That's not really a factor for them to like him.

The problem with the fighters listed, their handlers do more damage than good for their careers

How can earn respect fighting one or twice a year, demand millions upon millions, and call your self the best????

Not what majority of boxing fans are use to, esp when you compare to the 90s, 80, 70s, etc
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:18 pm

Zab Judah loves UK fans

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:41 pm

gomez1012 wrote:The problem with the fighters listed, their handlers do more damage than good for their careers

How can earn respect fighting one or twice a year, demand millions upon millions, and call your self the best????

Not what majority of boxing fans are use to, esp when you compare to the 90s, 80, 70s, etc

I'm just saying compare how foreign fighters are received in their native countries compared to the US. Sturm is big in Germany. John is big in Indonesia. The Klits are big in Germany and the UKraine. Pascal is big in Canada. Etc.

I'm not saying there aren't reasons to dislike US fighters. I'm saying in the US we use those reasons and I think a lot of other countries overlook them to celebrate their guys.

How many people in England do you think were rooting for Wlad? Compare that to how many in the US would root for Khan against Bradley or even Judah.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:46 pm

Gumby wrote:
I'm just saying compare how foreign fighters are received in their native countries compared to the US. Sturm is big in Germany. John is big in Indonesia. The Klits are big in Germany and the UKraine. Pascal is big in Canada. Etc.

I'm not saying there aren't reasons to dislike US fighters. I'm saying in the US we use those reasons and I think a lot of other countries overlook them to celebrate their guys.

Look at their work in the ring and you can see why those names are successful draws in their home countries and compare them to Paul Williams career

Gumby wrote:How many people in England do you think were rooting for Wlad? Compare that to how many in the US would root for Khan against Bradley or even Judah.

Every brit was rooting against Wlad and every American will be rooting for Zab Saturday night I assume, its how every sport is

Fans support their own
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:56 pm

People, especialy Europeans, do not understand how big the US is.

Germany is the size of Montana! So of course you will get more exposure in a country that size. The UK are tiny islands. Denmark is smaller then Texas.

You have to view each States as their own country. People care about teams and sports in their own State.

Same goes for boxers. Problem is, promoters are greedy fucks, and take casion money, and you get East Coast fighters fighting in some Indian Casinio on the West Coast. Or vice Versa.

Right now, we got a Brit and a East Coast fighter fighting in Vegas!
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:33 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Look at their work in the ring and you can see why those names are successful draws in their home countries and compare them to Paul Williams career

Every brit was rooting against Wlad and every American will be rooting for Zab Saturday night I assume, its how every sport is

I honestly don't see a huge gap between Williams and Pascal's or Sturm's resumes. Definitely not enough to justify the the difference in their respective national fan bases, especially considering the fact that Williams has been in more exciting fights.

Every American won't be rooting for Zab and most won't care if he loses. Up until it happened Ali stated Haye would win (He might've even believed it). I bet a lot of people were like that in the UK. Not a lot of people here would stick their neck out for Zab like that. That's all I'm sayin.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:40 pm

Gumby wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
Gumby wrote:

?????????????

negative

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:19 pm

dbudge wrote:

negative

Yea, but some people show up and tune in to watch him fight.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Gumby wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
Gumby wrote:

?????????????

UK, Germany, etc.... are not huge land areas.

MUCH SMALLER NATIONS in terms of area!!!

People in the UK supporting a fighter is like Floyd getting support from the state in which he lives and a few surrounding states. Alexander is supported in his home state(and I'd assume those states nearby). If Dawson and PW fought close to their home states they would get support there.

How many US fans and boxing writers show much more support for fighters from their area?? I'd say it is alot.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:51 pm

captainanddew wrote:UK, Germany, etc.... are not huge land areas.

MUCH SMALLER NATIONS in terms of area!!!

People in the UK supporting a fighter is like Floyd getting support from the state in which he lives and a few surrounding states. Alexander is supported in his home state(and I'd assume those states nearby). If Dawson and PW fought close to their home states they would get support there.

How many US fans and boxing writers show much more support for fighters from their area?? I'd say it is alot.

But what makes boxing different than other sports than? Golf, tennis, track and field and driving aren't like that. Those guys get national support. Look at how many people rallied around women's soccer recently. US fighters get national exposure, but don't get national support.

I think if anything it's not land size but the variety of other sports in the US. Boxing isn't high up on the totem pole.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:44 am

you guys are talking as if British fighters are silver spoon fed from their professional debuts. that's really not the case. Boxing is not high on the Sport's fans radar over here either. globally Boxing has become a niche sport. fans over here only really get behind a fighter when they have made it in the boxing world. Ricky Hatton was an absolute anomaly where everybody just loved the guy because he was just another bloke down the pub to us that made it big. look at how hard Carl Froch has had to work to get recognition over here. Amir Khan got good exposure because of his Olympic success being only a 17 year old boy in Athens when the whole nation got behind this young kid to spur him on, but realistically what exposure has he got over here now. i doubt a huge number of people in the UK know he is fighting tonight.

US fighters get their fans, if they didn't then they wouldn't be making the money they do. i think a large part of the problem is the promoters not building their prospects up in their home state or hometown. they just want to chuck the prospect on the undercard of one of their other shows in a larger hall where there is less logistics involved than if they tried doing small hall shows. they can just chuck the new prospect on as the first fight of the evening in an empty arena to build them up a record. that's not going to get that prospect any fans. i think this is the genuine root of the problem, if fighters in the US are to become major fan attractions again then the promoters need to start building from the bottom up. which means they need to work harder and stop being lazy greedy fucks

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down