The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zab refuses to talk to the UK media

+9
Gumby
nano212
UBeeg9cats
Tobe
Soonermark890
SlickMoney
Diego408
gomez1012
GrantZilla
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Zab refuses to talk to the UK media  - Page 2 Empty Re: Zab refuses to talk to the UK media

Post  captainanddew Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:20 pm

UBeeg9cats wrote:While I think it is somewhat unprofessional to do this, I think Zab has every right to do this. Zab is a pretty big name and he doesn't even get a 50-50 split in the US. I applaud Zab for still taking a big fight even if he didn't get all he wanted from the negotiations. I would much rather fighters take these somewhat childish stands and fight than turning down fights.

big name but he had no leverage in the negotiations. Why do I say no leverage? Because Khan was offering Zab alot more than Zab's other prospective fights. If you know in advance that Zab can make X if he fights anyone else and you offer him 2X then you don't have to offer him anything from the huge UK pie or even a 50/50 split in the US. Khan-on the other hand could make big money fighting any credible opponent. He doesn't need Zab to make the huge payday.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Zab refuses to talk to the UK media  - Page 2 Empty Re: Zab refuses to talk to the UK media

Post  UBeeg9cats Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:44 pm

captainanddew wrote:
UBeeg9cats wrote:While I think it is somewhat unprofessional to do this, I think Zab has every right to do this. Zab is a pretty big name and he doesn't even get a 50-50 split in the US. I applaud Zab for still taking a big fight even if he didn't get all he wanted from the negotiations. I would much rather fighters take these somewhat childish stands and fight than turning down fights.

big name but he had no leverage in the negotiations. Why do I say no leverage? Because Khan was offering Zab alot more than Zab's other prospective fights. If you know in advance that Zab can make X if he fights anyone else and you offer him 2X then you don't have to offer him anything from the huge UK pie or even a 50/50 split in the US. Khan-on the other hand could make big money fighting any credible opponent. He doesn't need Zab to make the huge payday.

Your argument does make financial sense but Zab at least has the leverage he is using now. Khan's team will know this is a possibility in the future if they don't give a small slice to someone demanding it. While Khan is the higher ranked fighter and the bigger money fighter, Zab is one of his biggest money opponents. So while Khan obviously gives Zab his highest payday, I believe Zab does the same for Khan. Of course, none of these guys include me in negotiations so it is all guesswork and heresay.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:25 pm

@AmirKingKhan
Amir Khan I'll make judah pay for disrespecting the UK fans and media for refusing to do interviews and media work for them. Very childish.
http://twitter.com/#!/AmirKingKhan
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:42 pm

love it! He wasn't happy with the "take it or leave it" contract khans people offered him no doubt, so he took it and is sticking it to them by not talking to british media. Khan tried to strongarm him and Judah has flipped it on him. Why should zab promote a fight in a place where he is going to make no money?

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:57 pm

No

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:36 pm

I guess the question is if anyone thinks Zab has a real chance in this fight. All the rest is just so much hype.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Tobe wrote:I guess the question is if anyone thinks Zab has a real chance in this fight. All the rest is just so much hype.

Not only do I think he has a chance, but I'd be shocked if he lost! Zab has looked really good lately and Khan didnt show me squat in his last fight. IMO you are only as good as your last fight, not how good your trainer says you are.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:49 pm

BoxingGenius wrote:
Tobe wrote:I guess the question is if anyone thinks Zab has a real chance in this fight. All the rest is just so much hype.

Not only do I think he has a chance, but I'd be shocked if he lost! Zab has looked really good lately and Khan didnt show me squat in his last fight. IMO you are only as good as your last fight, not how good your trainer says you are.

I think Zab's only change is by KO. Pernell's got him fighting much more defensively and trapping so he's not going to win a points battle against an active guy like Khan. I think he could make Khan pay for lunging though. He definitely has a real chance. I like Khan though.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Why I'd never bet on Zab. You have no idea what Zab is going to show up in the ring. If it's Zab on his A-game, I think he's got more than a fair shot at beating Khan
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:54 pm

Gumby wrote:
BoxingGenius wrote:

I think Zab's only change is by KO. Pernell's got him fighting much more defensively and trapping so he's not going to win a points battle against an active guy like Khan. I think he could make Khan pay for lunging though. He definitely has a real chance. I like Khan though.

I just dont think Khans chin is all that great still. He held up against maidana, but zab can counter and land more flush than maidana. Not to mention may hit just as hard. Zab has some real good pop before he tires out, its just a question of whether or not he can get to khan before that happens.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:30 pm

Yeah he has a punchers chance in this one. Zab has enough power to KO Khan but can he? I doubt it. My guess is it will be an awesome fight with both guys going down and Khan's youth will take over after the 6th or 7th and he will get the KO late.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:04 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
Yeah he has a punchers chance in this one. Zab has enough power to KO Khan but can he? I doubt it. My guess is it will be an awesome fight with both guys going down and Khan's youth will take over after the 6th or 7th and he will get the KO late.

I think he has far more than a puncher's chance. I just think Zab is a better boxer overall than Khan, Khan's best shot is zab doing something stupid and getting points taken off, or zab tiring. If zab is on his game khan does not beat him. I'm not sold on khan, i know freddy roach says hes the greatest thing since sliced bread, but thats the same guy who thinks bumvez jr is also pretty good. Khan's overlooking judah and is going to be brought back to reality by Super's explosive left hand.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:10 am

BoxingGenius wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

I think he has far more than a puncher's chance. I just think Zab is a better boxer overall than Khan, Khan's best shot is zab doing something stupid and getting points taken off, or zab tiring. If zab is on his game khan does not beat him. I'm not sold on khan, i know freddy roach says hes the greatest thing since sliced bread, but thats the same guy who thinks bumvez jr is also pretty good. Khan's overlooking judah and is going to be brought back to reality by Super's explosive left hand.

Zab is not a good boxer. He drops his hands, moves straight back, leaves his chin out, hangs his jab and over commits with his left. He is fast and has good power, he has physical gifts but his technique is less than stellar. He's a sprinter that gets sloppy after the fourth round and usually has no game plan. This will be a major upset if he wins this fight.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:45 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:
BoxingGenius wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

Zab is not a good boxer. He drops his hands, moves straight back, leaves his chin out, hangs his jab and over commits with his left. He is fast and has good power, he has physical gifts but his technique is less than stellar. He's a sprinter that gets sloppy after the fourth round and usually has no game plan. This will be a major upset if he wins this fight.

I disagree, the main idea in boxing is to hit and not be hit. I think zab does that better than khan does, making him a better "boxer" IMO. Sure he isnt a stereotypical "boxer" and more of an athlete relying on speed and power, but that doesnt take away from the fact that he is a tremendous talent and could hang with anyone on a given night. Zab's toughest opponent has always been himself. In the big fight it hasnt been a question of if he will collapse, but when. I'm hoping he has learned from past mistakes, he appears to be in great form with the new trainer. I expect big things from zab, and have thought for a few fights now that he has just as good of a shot at being the last one standing at 140 as bradley and khan do.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:50 pm

What in his last few fights told you that? Mathysse knocked him down late when Zab abandoned technique and move straight back with his hands down. Mabuza had him hurt as well . Zab caught him coming in with his hands down. Khan is not Mabuza. Zab gets hit entirely too much, which is why he's lost many of his big fights. Sure he can hang with most guys but so can Demarcus Corey, Lovemore Ndou, Andres Kotelnik and plenty of other guys that hover in or around the top 20 in the 140 lb division.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:12 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:What in his last few fights told you that? Mathysse knocked him down late when Zab abandoned technique and move straight back with his hands down. Mabuza had him hurt as well . Zab caught him coming in with his hands down. Khan is not Mabuza. Zab gets hit entirely too much, which is why he's lost many of his big fights. Sure he can hang with most guys but so can Demarcus Corey, Lovemore Ndou, Andres Kotelnik and plenty of other guys that hover in or around the top 20 in the 140 lb division.

Well i also consider the fact that zab has only lost 1 fight at 140 in his career, and it was to kosta a HOFer who was a heck of a lot better than khan IMO. Khan hasnt faced any even decent southpaws that i can think of (aside from sparring with pac). Maidana landed a lot on khan and judah is faster and more accurate with his shots than marcos. They will both be hit a lot i think, but i think zab will crack that chin again. Its not so much that i think zab is that good, its more that i dont think khan is very good. I could be wrong, but outside of the maidana fight, i have never really been impressed by khan.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:39 am

BoxingGenius wrote:

you what?? Zab did not look good in his last 2 outings. against Mabuza he was getting putworked and hurt by an extremely one dimensional fighter. against Matthysse he scored an extremely close decision in a fight he was hurt really bad and lucky to survive. Matthysse lost that fight more than Zab won it. Judah is overhyped as a boxer. he isn't good defensively, he's a mover. he tries to avoid getting hit by circling away. against a guy as long, as fast and as active as Khan he isn't going to get away with that tactic. if Mabuza can find Zab then Khan definitely will. yeh Zab has good power, decent speed and an wicked uppercut. but i think Zab's reflexes now are not going to be the same as his reflexes over 5 years ago. Zab cracks when the pressure starts to build and he stops fighting. he also hasn't got a great chin and Khan has decent enough pop in his punches himself. i'd be highly surprised if Judah gets the victory, but i guess this is why we have the fights.

for me Khan's speed, workrate, accuracy, variety and range is going to be far superior to whatever Zab brings to the table on Saturday. i'm expecting Khan to put on a dominant performance and pull off an extremely convincing and victorious performance

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:05 pm

I just dont think Khan is that good of boxer and can see him getting caught against someone as quick as Zab

More talented fighter but he gets sloppy sometimes and could hurt him against a guy who is always looking for the counter shot
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:33 pm

gomez1012 wrote:I just dont think Khan is that good of boxer and can see him getting caught against someone as quick as Zab

More talented fighter but he gets sloppy sometimes and could hurt him against a guy who is always looking for the counter shot

+1

Khan is athletically gifted, but he's still making alot of fundamental errors which Judah could capitalize on.

Why I am nervous about this fight, it's very very dangerous for Khan.

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:32 pm

dbudge wrote:
BoxingGenius wrote:

you what?? Zab did not look good in his last 2 outings. against Mabuza he was getting putworked and hurt by an extremely one dimensional fighter. against Matthysse he scored an extremely close decision in a fight he was hurt really bad and lucky to survive. Matthysse lost that fight more than Zab won it. Judah is overhyped as a boxer. he isn't good defensively, he's a mover. he tries to avoid getting hit by circling away. against a guy as long, as fast and as active as Khan he isn't going to get away with that tactic. if Mabuza can find Zab then Khan definitely will. yeh Zab has good power, decent speed and an wicked uppercut. but i think Zab's reflexes now are not going to be the same as his reflexes over 5 years ago. Zab cracks when the pressure starts to build and he stops fighting. he also hasn't got a great chin and Khan has decent enough pop in his punches himself. i'd be highly surprised if Judah gets the victory, but i guess this is why we have the fights.

for me Khan's speed, workrate, accuracy, variety and range is going to be far superior to whatever Zab brings to the table on Saturday. i'm expecting Khan to put on a dominant performance and pull off an extremely convincing and victorious performance

i thought zab looked good against matthysse, lucas is the new mr hard luck at 140, he beat devon IMO, but it is what it is. zab did something in the matthysse fight that we rarely see from him, and that is digging deep late to grind out the win. The old zab would have probably quit or cashed it it when matthysse hurt him. keep in mind hes still only had a couple of fights with P training him, seems to be improving each go around. while khan may be more technically skilled i still think zab is a bit faster and hits a bit harder. the biggest mistake khan could make is let the crowd get him excited and try to go for the KO, if he leaves himself open to a flush counter shot hes hitting the floor.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:36 pm

I think Matthysse is top 5 at 140. Khan and Bradley are 1 and 2 but then I have Devon, Zab, Matthysse, and Kotelnik in the next group. Maidana is 3rd tier to me but I seem to be one of the few that see him that way.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:13 pm

dbudge wrote:he isn't good defensively, he's a mover. he tries to avoid getting hit by circling away. against a guy as long, as fast and as active as Khan he isn't going to get away with that tactic. if Mabuza can find Zab then Khan definitely will.

+1. Like I said before, I only see Khan losing by leaping in chasing Zab and getting caught by a big punch.

Khan's hands are faster than Zab's. Maidana had success because he was able to wear Khan down. That's not Zab's game at all. I also think Khan was stupidly trying to prove something against Maidana and will be more conservative against Zab.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2