The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I am not the only one

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I am not the only one Empty I am not the only one

Post  Guest Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:15 am

History will show July 2 marked the birth of an empire. It may also go down as the death of a division.

On that rain-swept night in Hamburg, Germany, Wladimir Klitschko unified the four major heavyweight belts under one surname, boxing his way to a 12-round unanimous decision over David Haye. Klitschko took Haye’s World Boxing Association title, adding to his WBO and IBF hardware, while his older brother Vitali is the WBC strap holder.

But for all the skill and power of the brothers Klitschko - and there is plenty - there seems to be just as little American interest in a sport, already on wobbly legs, dominated by a pair of Ukrainians who refuse to take on their top competition.

That is, each other.

“The heavyweight division is on the cusp of being canceled,” said boxing historian Bert Sugar. “In the U.S., it’s a non-division. (Americans) like big fights, big cars, big yachts, big-chested women. Here, we love heavyweights.”

Nicknamed “Dr. Steelhammer,” Wladimir’s fists did little to forge Haye’s head into a malleable lump during 12 mostly meandering rounds. Using his reach advantage and superior technical proficiency to offset Haye’s speed, Klitschko utilized a left jab, an occasional left hook and, even less seldom, a straight right hand to stymie the loquacious Brit.

For his part, Haye displayed an inverse amount of fight compared to his incessant trash-talking - or, in hindsight, faux browbeating - of the siblings the past two years before coming up literally, and physically, short. He proved to be nothing more than yet another in a long line of so-called heavyweight contenders whose bark was worse than his bite.

“I’ve been trying to celebrate my 50th knockout, but tonight, it didn’t work,” Klitschko said afterward. “But we’ll be celebrating with my brother that we collected all of the belts in the heavyweight division.”

It was vintage Klitschko, a boxer in the purist sense of the word who uses the ring the way a professor uses a chalkboard - the man does hold a doctorate in sport science, after all. His thesis statement is that potent left jab at the end of an 81-inch reach, a punch “he can hit you with from his corner while you sit in yours,” according to Sugar.

Vitali, a.k.a. “Dr. Ironfist,” also has a Ph.D., employs a similar style and may be the better boxer of the two since many experts argue he has the better fighter instincts.

However, that debate will never progress beyond words. The brothers have already stated they will not fight each other, and, unlike most fine wines that improve with age, there is a good chance the heavyweight division will die on the vine while they punish underwhelming challengers.

American fans appear to have already given up. There is currently no one to rally behind, but also because the Klitschkos are out of sight and out of mind. Their management group is based in Germany, their training base, Austria, 4,000 miles across the Atlantic - a distance that may also reflect the competitive gap between the brothers and the others.

Yet the blame of the bane in the division doesn’t originate in the giant shadows Wladimir and Vitali cast.

It isn’t their fault a challenger has failed to emerge since Lamont Brewster knocked out Wladimir in 2004 - a defeat he avenged in 2007 while defending his IBF and IBO titles. It isn’t their fault Haye and Tomasz Adamek - Vitali’s next opponent, come September - are little more than overhyped and undersized cruiserweights stepping up to a division once steeped in glory and now mired in mediocrity.

What the Klitschkos’ reign should have in length it will most assuredly lack in era-defining victories, a critical component that could insert either - or both - into a debate of where they rank among the pantheon of great fighters.

“Part of the assessment and criterion for being an all-time great is meeting and beating other greats,” Sugar said. “For the Klitschkos, that number begins and ends with zero.”

The current gap in talent is augmented by their imposing size. Wladimir is 6-foot-6 1/2 and 242 pounds, while Vitali stands 6-7 1/2 and weighed 250 in March when he posted a TKO of Odlanier Solis in the first round.

There are few who can look them in the eye, and one who can - 7-foot-2, 315-pound Russian behemoth Nikolai Valuev - lost the WBA belt to Haye to set up last Saturday’s unification bout. The only standard to even begin to measure the Klitschkos is Lennox Lewis, incidentally the last undisputed heavyweight champion.

Lewis beat Vitali back in 2003, when the elder Klitschko was a last-second replacement for Kirk Johnson - due in part to the fact that he was already on the undercard. Klitschko staggered Lewis early and led on all three scorecards, but Lewis opened up a horrific gash in Klitschko’s left eyelid - it eventually required 60 stitches - and the ringside doctor refused to let Klitschko start the seventh round.

Six months later, having seen a glimpse of the Klitschko empire in victory, Lewis opted to retire rather than give Vitali a rematch after the WBC named him the mandatory challenger.

“Lewis showed us a man at 250 pounds could move, box and punch,” Sugar noted, “as opposed to Rocky Marciano at 189 pounds, Joe Louis at 204 and even Muhammad Ali, who was his heaviest at 224 pounds.”

The bad news for aspiring heavyweights and ambitious cruiserweights is Wladimir relishes the idea of extending his newly gained family dynasty for many years.

“I am super motivated now that we’ve collected all the belts in the Klitschko family,” he said. “It’s an exciting game… I definitely am challenged to do better and will continue.”

Who it’s exciting for and what that challenge is remains to be seen. Because the kings are dead in the heavyweight division.

For champions Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko, however, long live the kings.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=AvuX9fmy_.BQPHjyovlL6zuUxLYF?slug=ap-theklitschkoquestion

Back to top Go down

I am not the only one Empty Re: I am not the only one

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:27 pm

I don't get it.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:11 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:I don't get it.

The heavyweight division is dead.

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:01 pm

Ali wrote:

It's the same as it's been all along, just with one less impostor.....
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:12 pm

This part absolutely kills me:
"It was vintage Klitschko, a boxer in the purist sense of the word who uses the ring the way a professor uses a chalkboard - the man does hold a doctorate in sport science, after all. His thesis statement is that potent left jab at the end of an 81-inch reach, a punch “he can hit you with from his corner while you sit in yours,” according to Sugar."

Since when is Wlad a pure boxer? He's a fuckin' robot that happens to be bigger & longer & stronger than his opposition. His footwork is deplorable, his inside game is nonexistent, and he literally has two punches, a jab & straight right. He has no left hook (when he does try to throw it, he appears awkward & unsure), no uppercut & zero imagination. He is unwilling to take any chances, especially after being KO'd by journeymen, and one can actually see the fear in his eyes when punches are thrown in the direction of that vulnerable chin. He better get on his knees and thank whatever Deity he believes in that Manny Steward taught him to fight taller & avoid big punches. Now, having said that, it makes what Haye did even more deplorable because he never took a true chance at toppling Wlad until the very last round. He's like the kid that won't fight until he sees the teacher coming, then throws one punch hoping it'll be broken up quickly. If Haye had an ounce of guts he would've waded in, taken a shot or two, and landed some decent punches. Wlad did not dictate that fight, Haye did.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:24 pm

How does Vitali always get thrown into this? Vitali is fun to watch a lot of the time. Wlad is boring. To me Wlad is just like Lennox Lewis. He is bigger and boring compared to most other HW champs. Vitali is not the same type of fighter.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:21 pm

Vitali doesn't jab alot. He stands in the center of the ring and throws punches. Someone punches at him and he leans back in a way that looks like he is doing a rope a dope in the center of the ring. I find his fights interesting.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:39 pm

captainanddew wrote:Vitali doesn't jab alot. He stands in the center of the ring and throws punches. Someone punches at him and he leans back in a way that looks like he is doing a rope a dope in the center of the ring. I find his fights interesting.
I know everyone is going crazy on how the HW division is dying or dead blah blah blah....

But really the only reason its not big is none of these guys are Americans. Vitali is not a boring fighter and yet Americans still wont watch him.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:41 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:Vitali doesn't jab alot. He stands in the center of the ring and throws punches. Someone punches at him and he leans back in a way that looks like he is doing a rope a dope in the center of the ring. I find his fights interesting.
I know everyone is going crazy on how the HW division is dying or dead blah blah blah....

But really the only reason its not big is none of these guys are Americans. Vitali is not a boring fighter and yet Americans still wont watch him.

Because his competition is so bad. Not the Klits' fault. They can only fight what is presented to them.

But come on, Vitali fighting Gomez, Johnson, Briggs, lard ass Solis, is not fun to watch.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:40 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

Because his competition is so bad. Not the Klits' fault. They can only fight what is presented to them.

But come on, Vitali fighting Gomez, Johnson, Briggs, lard ass Solis, is not fun to watch.

Vitali is not a boring fighter. Right now we have the bum of the month club part 2 going on.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:57 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Because his competition is so bad. Not the Klits' fault. They can only fight what is presented to them.

You have to admit: if they were Americans they would be huge in N.America, borring style or not. If they were Brits with idiotic haircuts Ali would be messing his jeans with orgasmic joy over them.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:45 am

I am not the only one Xkt5ix11
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:50 am

Ali wrote:

and it was alive before July 2nd? give me a break! I'd rather klitschko win than have david "i throw no more than 15 punches a round" haye as the heavyweight champ.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:23 pm

BoxingGenius wrote:
Ali wrote:

and it was alive before July 2nd? give me a break! I'd rather klitschko win than have david "i throw no more than 15 punches a round" haye as the heavyweight champ.

Then you're a fool.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:42 pm

Ali wrote:
BoxingGenius wrote:
Ali wrote:

Then you're a fool.

Come back to reality Ali. Hay sucked. Who the fuck wants a drama queen like that ruling the division?

I do not like the Klits' style, but they fight everybody. Except each other, but you can't fault them for that.

As of right now, there are no good HWs to challenge them. And haven't been for a long time.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:46 pm

No, Wladimir is dull and boring, the man couldn't even muster the will to attack a person who "insulted" his family.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:49 pm

Ali, you are out of control.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:51 pm

Canvas wrote:Ali, you are out of control.

The sooner the Klitschko reign ends, the better.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Personally insulting someone because they don't share your favourable view of a hype job?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Canvas wrote:Personally insulting someone because they don't share your favourable view of a hype job?

I'll insult people who think the Klitschko reign is a good thing for boxing and the HW division.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:56 pm

They're dull and boring, yet beating everybody. So what does that tell you? Gaye, like all of the Klits opponents, talked big, but did shit when they got in the ring.

The Klits are what they are. It's not their fault, it's the pathetic competition.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Ali wrote:
Canvas wrote:Personally insulting someone because they don't share your favourable view of a hype job?

I'll insult people who think the Klitschko reign is a good thing for boxing and the HW division.

then you are violating the spirit of the forum in addition to being completely wrong...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:00 pm

If I am completely wrong then the western audience losing interest in the division must be an anomaly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:02 pm

You are taking your bitterness over your hero's exposure as a fraud to new levels

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Canvas wrote:You are taking your bitterness over your hero's exposure as a fraud to new levels

I've been saying the same things for years. Go back and look at all the old Klitschko fight threads and you'll see me complain. both here and at Ninja's.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum