The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can anyone tell me what happened to class acts in sports?

+4
dbudge
UBeeg9cats
gomez1012
Frank
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Can anyone tell me what happened to class acts in sports? Empty Can anyone tell me what happened to class acts in sports?

Post  Frank Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:13 am

1. James Scott: Light Heavyweight Contender from the 1980s. (a)Incarcerated in Rahway Prison. (b) Takes on the elite of the LH division. I think I recall him defeating Eddie Gregory and a host of other quality fighters. (c) If he did an interview, he made sure to come off as a learned and sophisticated man. He'd send a lot of sports journalist to the dictionary during interviews. (d) Even in prison, this man took pride in his self image and managed a great deal of self respect.

2. Alan Page: Defensive Tackle for the Minnesota Vikings during the 70s and 80s. (a) Supreme Court Justice for the state Minnesota. Nuff said.

3. Dwight Braxton: Another guest of the state. LH champ during the 80s. (a) Maybe the most vicious fighter I've ever seen. (b) In interviews, came off as an intelligent but cocky guy who thought himself to be unbeatable. Please put emphasis on intelligent.

I deliberately took two fighters who did time in the Pen to make this point. Listen, how can you come from a more depressed background then the Pen?

You can't blame the behavior of fighters who have no class on the ghetto. That's where most of our champs came from. Hagler, one of the classiest acts I've ever seen, came from the ghettos of Newark, N.J. I think it has to be very insulting to some people who live in low income areas to hear an athlete’s classless behavior dismissed because he comes from a project area. Some of the classiest and most determined people in this country have always come from there. If not for low income or humble beginnings, boxing would've never existed.

Stop putting a classless coward in front of me who doesn't wear his pants up and stays in trouble with the law via violent crimes. Not only do I have to listen to him, but I have to listen to his ignoramus family members which is unheard of. If you had an uncle like Roger Mayweather, would you put him on television to represent you??

Problem with ignorant athletes is that the press and fans somehow have made up their minds that these guys are not capable of better and more intelligent behavior so they let them get away with things that nobody else would be allowed to. I find this incredibly racist and insulting. I also find the MW family as dumb and annoying as humanly possible....and yes, I came here to get away from him or any mention of him.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Can anyone tell me what happened to class acts in sports? Empty Re: Can anyone tell me what happened to class acts in sports?

Post  Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:25 am

It died, just as it did in western society as a whole. Thank the "progressives" (as they like to call themselves) for the collapse of decent parenting. Look what the ultra left wing, politically correct activists did to Britain over the last 25 years. One of the greatest societies ever... decimated.

No installation of morals, no fear of authority, no personal accountability for one's actions, no respect for one's elders, no connection to the functional traditions that made this society great.

No idea how to conduct the self with quiet dignity.

Last edited by Canvas on Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Back to top Go down

Can anyone tell me what happened to class acts in sports? Empty Re: Can anyone tell me what happened to class acts in sports?

Post  Frank Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:58 am

Canvas wrote:It died, just as it did in western society as a whole. Thank the "progressives" (as they like to call themselves) for the collapse of decent parenting. Look what the ultra left wing, politically correct ativists did to Britain over the last 25 years. One of the greatest societies ever... decimated.

No installation of morals, no fear of authority, no personal accountability for one's actions, no respect for one's elders, no connection to the the functional traditions that made this society great.

No idea how to conduct the self with quiet dignity.
You've made the point I was trying to make in two short paragraphs. Good writing, Canvas. Also, I think your observations are 100 percent accurate.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:02 pm

frank this will probably be my last post on this forum...as usual you came up with a well thought out post or thread that has been on my mind for a while..your examples are excellent .in general the style grace class of a sports figure is still there but in a greatly reduced number..derek jeter is an example..the problem is a massive increase in the ignorance.the lack of class style or remembering where they came from plus the lact of graditude thjat they recieved a special gift that became a oportunity of a 100 lifetimes..floyd and his family are perfect examples.so is a jerkoff called big ben and countless other thugs that call them selves sports figures..not to long ago a guy called tony gywn retired from baseball..thats respectible class..ripken has shown similar qualites also..perhaps the most beloved of all sports figures by n ot only the public but by his peers yogi berra is still around to show HOW you act as a decent person..the great duke snider also was a perfect example for ballplayers to emulate.ditto ernie banks ..rocky marciano came from a upper-lower class blue collar neighborhood.joe louis from poverty.you will find no humbler champs then thoses two.and you will find no champs who had more inner pride neither..or a bart starr in football.a gentlemans gentlemen..
yes today we can say hey theres drew brees or the great reggie white as examples of goodness also but its a huge decline..thugs punks wanna be tough guys gun toting gangsters in there minds drug addicts cheats etc etc are on the rise in huge numbers..as a society maybe as a whole we share the blame of idiolizing thses bums as heros..giving them too much praise for playing a game but flunking out in the real game called life.its disgusting...give me yogi berra phil rizzuto ernie banks bob feller anytime..values honor respect on how you conduct yourself should be eternal not old fashion.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:03 pm

The internets
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:16 pm

dmar5143 wrote:frank this will probably be my last post on this forum...as usual you came up with a well thought out post or thread that has been on my mind for a while..your examples are excellent .in general the style grace class of a sports figure is still there but in a greatly reduced number..derek jeter is an example..the problem is a massive increase in the ignorance.the lack of class style or remembering where they came from plus the lact of graditude thjat they recieved a special gift that became a oportunity of a 100 lifetimes..floyd and his family are perfect examples.so is a jerkoff called big ben and countless other thugs that call them selves sports figures..not to long ago a guy called tony gywn retired from baseball..thats respectible class..ripken has shown similar qualites also..perhaps the most beloved of all sports figures by n ot only the public but by his peers yogi berra is still around to show HOW you act as a decent person..the great duke snider also was a perfect example for ballplayers to emulate.ditto ernie banks ..rocky marciano came from a upper-lower class blue collar neighborhood.joe louis from poverty.you will find no humbler champs then thoses two.and you will find no champs who had more inner pride neither..or a bart starr in football.a gentlemans gentlemen..
yes today we can say hey theres drew brees or the great reggie white as examples of goodness also but its a huge decline..thugs punks wanna be tough guys gun toting gangsters in there minds drug addicts cheats etc etc are on the rise in huge numbers..as a society maybe as a whole we share the blame of idiolizing thses bums as heros..giving them too much praise for playing a game but flunking out in the real game called life.its disgusting...give me yogi berra phil rizzuto ernie banks bob feller anytime..values honor respect on how you conduct yourself should be eternal not old fashion.

Not to get off topic but I hope you mean last post in this thread. We already had one wise sage leave us and we don't need another one gone too.

Besides or maybe in addition to the moral issue Canvas articulated, I think the "no child left behind" stance has hurt the country in general and sports in microcosm. It isn't good for everyone to feel accomplished always. The kid on the 8th place team should feel bad where they finished and work harder to make it up next year. Instead, he gets a participation trophy, plays on an all star team, and gets an award for leading in some obscure statistic. Athletes will be humble about achievements when achievements become accomplishments again. Being a PPV star or selling the most jerseys should be secondary to other goals.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:18 pm

and i'm sure the elder generation of you lot used to say the same thing about the Muhammad Alis of the World.

Vazquez Jr and Arce, on the Pacquiao vs Mosley undercard, both displayed a great sense of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct after what was a brutal fight. this was a fight between a Puerto Rican and Mexican which is one of the most bitter rivalries in World sports. both guys displayed immense courage during the fight and immense respect for one another after all had finished. there are still gentleman and good sports about, Ryan Rhodes vs Jamie Moore was another example of this in their post fight interviews after their war.

you guys are just old and old people love to whinge about anything younger than them. that's called disrespecting your elders Very Happy

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:47 pm

Part of it is our culture. Athletes have become bigger celebrities and are not really required to conduct themselves with class. In fact, the media prefers the more outspoken and controversial figures to follow. Class acts do not get reported. We hear more speculation about whether or not Albert Pujols has used PEDS than we do about his amazing charity work.

Also, everything is reported, recorded, sensationalized and scrutinized.

I'm not sure what Canvas was talking about with Britain but I think in the US kids have been given more power, more responsibility and less direction.

Frank you saying "Stop putting a classless coward in front of me who doesn't wear his pants up stays in trouble with the law via violent crimes" is a good example of how the older generation stereotypes the younger generation. Violent crimes are bad, but whether or not someone has their pants up has nothing to do with their character. It's a superficial thing. Formality is not class. It's the reason I've always hated the characterization of Mosley as a class act.

dmar, I've enjoyed your posts.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:53 pm

Gumby, pulling up ones' pants to prevent ones buttocks from hanging out is not a prudish formality - it's a minimum standard of civilized decency and self respect.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:01 pm

Canvas, Britain's society has hardly been decimated. quite an outrageous claim

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:03 pm

Canvas wrote:Gumby, pulling up ones' pants to prevent ones buttocks from hanging out is not a prudish formality - it's a minimum standard of civilized decency and self respect.
Or it's a style choice...welcome to the future.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:07 pm

Yea class acts Like Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Mickey Mantle, Sugar Ray Robinson, David Thompson, John McEncroe, Mike Tyson, and Lawrence Taylor. Athletes having no class is nothing new. These guys have been catered to since they were twelve and have a sense of entitlement that none of us will ever know or experience. I gave examples of classless superstars from the 20's-80's, that's a sixty year swing of superstar athletes remembered as much for their vices, arrogance and overall shitheadness as they are for their performances on the playing field and squared circle.This has nothing to do with the generation, it has everything to with avenues of media like Gumby said. Think about this forum alone, we get most of gossip style boxing news from Gomez and Grant way before it hits mainstream media. Bloggers have made media that much bigger and information that much more accessible to the point that when Derek Jeter buys valtrex on line at CVS the rest of the world knows he has herpes because the guy behind him posted it on a message board from his smart phone.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:12 pm

The athletes and celebrities are the same. Nothing's changed with them.

What's changed is because 24/7 media and the internet, they longer cover up or not report on athletes and celebrities bad behavior.

In the past, the media worked with the athletes and celebrities. There was a lot of shit that was never reported. In return, the media was granted access by the leagues or studios.

Tabloids changed that. Then 24/7 news. Then the internet.

You bring up Marv Hagler. The dude did coke. So did Golden Boy SRL. I've heard stories of him doing coke with bunch of hookers.

Look at Golden Boy Oscar going to rehap for sex addiction and drugs. 40 years ago, that never would have been covered. And you sure and hell wouldn't be getting Tweets from Oscar admitting his problems.

Baseball hero Ted Williams was a total dick, especialy to his own kids. Again, never widely reported.

Shit, it was known for years in the movie industry that Rock Hudson was gay. But media never reported it, because studio wanted to continue to market him as a romantic lead.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:18 pm

GrantZilla wrote:The athletes and celebrities are the same. Nothing's changed with them.

What's changed is because 24/7 media and the internet, they longer cover up or not report on athletes and celebrities bad behavior.

In the past, the media worked with the athletes and celebrities. There was a lot of shit that was never reported. In return, the media was granted access by the leagues or studios.

Tabloids changed that. Then 24/7 news. Then the internet.
You bring up Marv Hagler. The dude did coke. So did Golden Boy SRL. I've heard stories of him doing coke with bunch of hookers.

Look at Golden Boy Oscar going to rehap for sex addiction and drugs. 40 years ago, that never would have been covered. And you sure and hell wouldn't be getting Tweets from Oscar admitting his problems.

Baseball hero Ted Williams was a total dick, especialy to his own kids. Again, never widely reported.

Shit, it was known for years in the movie industry that Rock Hudson was gay. But media never reported it, because studio wanted to continue to market him as a romantic lead.

exactimondo. the world has changed. people can't be lied to as easily and the media no longer cover these things up.

Britain's society hasn't always been prim and proper and we all live like the Queen. the negatives were just covered up to "keep up appearances". with today's media that is no longer achievable and so the ugly truth surfaces.

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:23 pm

dbudge wrote:Britain's society hasn't always been prim and proper and we all live like the Queen. the negatives were just covered up to "keep up appearances". with today's media that is no longer achievable and so the ugly truth surfaces.

Can anyone tell me what happened to class acts in sports? CDG1148-Henry-VIII-250
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:26 pm

exactly. look at what that fat prick done. he made up a new religion so he could chuck his wife (wives) in and then chop their heads off in public. Henry VIII was a bad ass

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:32 pm

dbudge wrote:exactly. look at what that fat prick done. he made up a new religion so he could chuck his wife (wives) in and then chop their heads off in public. Henry VIII was a bad ass

Well, he did father Britian's greatest ruler. So I'll give him credit for that.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:34 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
dbudge wrote:exactly. look at what that fat prick done. he made up a new religion so he could chuck his wife (wives) in and then chop their heads off in public. Henry VIII was a bad ass

Well, he did father Britian's greatest ruler. So I'll give him credit for that.

... back in the good old days when Britain ruled the World Sad

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:39 pm

dbudge wrote:... back in the good old days when Britain ruled the World Sad

USA! USA! USA!
Can anyone tell me what happened to class acts in sports? Superm10

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:40 pm

shhhhhh

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:52 am

I have to make something clear. I have absolutely no concern about what a man does in privacy nor do I care to know about it. Hagler and Leonard doing cocaine is no concern to me at all. They knew how to act in public or better yet, in front of the camera. If both of them turned out to be drug addicted sex addicts, that's their business. They have a right to privacy. In my opinion, I think a public figure owes the public a class act when he is in their presence or on camera. His life is "his." As long as they're not harming anyone or forcing anyone to do something against their will, their life is none of my business as my affairs are none of theirs.

Also,someone said (and I forgot who) that athletes have a sense of entitlement that most of us will never know. If you're talking about women, speak for yourself buddy. Soonermark would agree with me. Laughing

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:44 am

Frank wrote:I have to make something clear. I have absolutely no concern about what a man does in privacy nor do I care to know about it. Hagler and Leonard doing cocaine is no concern to me at all. They knew how to act in public or better yet, in front of the camera. If both of them turned out to be drug addicted sex addicts, that's their business. They have a right to privacy. In my opinion, I think a public figure owes the public a class act when he is in their presence or on camera. His life is "his." As long as they're not harming anyone or forcing anyone to do something against their will, their life is none of my business as my affairs are none of theirs.

Also,someone said (and I forgot who) that athletes have a sense of entitlement that most of us will never know. If you're talking about women, speak for yourself buddy. Soonermark would agree with me. Laughing

hardcorebee24 wrote: Athletes having no class is nothing new. These guys have been catered to since they were twelve and have a sense of entitlement that none of us will ever know or experience.

I said it and if you read or understood the context of what I was talking about it might answer your questions or concerns.

To the bold:

The gist of what everyone was trying to explain to you was that athletes/public figures don't have privacy like they did in the past, athletes/public figures have acted like idiots since the days of Ty Cobb and probably before, ever read up on John L Sullivan? Jack Johnson was no choir boy either. Neither was Jim Jeffries. The difference is there wasn't nearly as much scrutiny then as there is now. Today if a public figure makes an off color comment the entire world knows in fifteen minutes or faster and retractions and apologies are expected within the hour. Can you imagine if John L Sullivan had a twitter? What products would we expect Jack Johnson to endorse? Ty Cobb was beating up fans long before Ron Artest and Vernon Maxwell. Have you ever read "The Bad Guys Won"? It's the story of the '86 Mets. There is no way any of that could happen now without it being on youtube, twitter and TMZ and that was only 25 years ago. Times have changed and Boys Will be Boys is no longer socially or financially acceptable.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:27 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
dbudge wrote:... back in the good old days when Britain ruled the World Sad

USA! USA! USA!
Can anyone tell me what happened to class acts in sports? Superm10

Superman is from Kyrpton not America.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:25 pm

Gumby wrote:
Canvas wrote:Gumby, pulling up ones' pants to prevent ones buttocks from hanging out is not a prudish formality - it's a minimum standard of civilized decency and self respect.
Or it's a style choice...welcome to the future.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/28256649/detail.html

Baggy Pants Lead To Football Player’s Arrest
SAN FRANCISCO -- A University of New Mexico football player, who was in the Bay Area to attend a friend’s funeral, was in custody Thursday after his citizen’s arrest by a pilot on a US Airway’s flight led to a melee with San Francisco police officers, authorities said.

San Francisco Police Sgt. Michael Rodriguez said 20-year-old Deshon Marman was told by a customer service agent to pull up his low-slung pants as he boarded a Phoenix-bound flight Wednesday morning at San Francisco International Airport

He refused and was again asked by a flight attendant as he was boarding the Phoenix-bound flight at San Francisco International Airport.

Rodriguez said Marman again refused and the attendant called the captain, who placed the 20-year-old under citizen’s arrest.

“The incident started in the boarding area prior to getting onto the aircraft,” Rodriguez said. “The customer service agent for US Airways asked the gentleman to pull his pants up which were down around his knees. She told him that (wearing his pants like that) was not going to be allowed on the aircraft.”

“He went down the jetway and was asked again to pull his pants up…The flight attendant at the door said he told her – ‘I paid for my ticket and I’m just going to do what I have to do.’ So he got onboard and sat down in his seat.”

Rodriguez said both the flight attendant and the agent said they thought it was offensive that Marman’s pants were around his knees and his underwear exposed.

The captain requested police assistance and was told to place Marman under citizen’s arrest. Marman was told to leave the plane, but a heated discussion ensued and all the other 150 passengers were removed from the aircraft.

“The officers stood by until the aircraft was emptied out,” Rodriguez said. “He came out…because of the slight struggle that he put up and not complying with the officers commands, he was wrapped in a special wrap we use to carry custodies down the jetway stairs.”

Marman was charged with trespassing for not leaving the aircraft, battery on a peace officer and resisting arrest.

The FBI had been notified, but there will be no federal charges.

Rodriguez said the other passengers were upset by the delay in their flight and the incident.

“A lot thought this could have been handled by the gentleman simply pulling up his pants – they questioned why he simply didn’t do it,” Rodriguez said.

Marman's mother, Donna Doyle, said that her son had attended a friend's funeral and he was still in an emotionally raw state.

US Airways spokeswoman Valerie Wunder says the airline's dress code forbids "indecent exposure or inappropriate" attire.

hahahahaha
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:41 pm

SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next