The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CLEANING OUT A DIVISON

5 posters

Go down

CLEANING OUT A DIVISON Empty CLEANING OUT A DIVISON

Post  Guest Sun May 29, 2011 10:56 am

there has been much talk over the months of fighters cleaning out a division.today that may mean fighting 4 or 5 guys once and wining.to me thats not cleaning out a division compared to greats that realy did it before.two of the best examples are hagler and monzon who truly fought the best in a era of fantastic fighters over the years.the guys they beat did not have thin resumes and were ranked high dispite there thin resumes.theres a differnce..we can also say armstrong who had i forget what 18 title defenses or so of the welter crown in less then 2 years.thats cleaning out a division...
theres divisions every 3 pounds or so and we marvel and rightly so of manny pac in doing that divsion hopping ..a all time great but ....to manny times we talk about cleaning out as division and the name harry greb is not mentioned..of course harry wiped out several top middles in his class of middles and yetr harry is never talked about.HOW about this.just before and i mean just before these guys fought dempsey for the HW title harry beat them.bill brennan 4 times tommy gibbons twice billy miske twice.all top HW contenders.but wait harrys not done.he beat 2 guys that beat dempsey...gene tunney and willie meehan who he beat twice..toss in gunboat smith two times.thats 13 wins against the top HWS at that time..thats a pretty good case for cleaningt out the heavweight division..hmm how about light heavys.harry beat LH champs like rosenbloom a great one tommy laughran a all time great one 4 times jack dillon twice all HOFAMERS plus LH champ battinling levinsky 6 times plus jimmy slatterly top contender mike mctigue twice and contender delaney 3 times.if thats not cleaning out a division then nothing is....
im amused when i look at boxing forums and several times see a list or there thoughts of the greatest 10 or 12 or so fighters and harrys name isnt on the list..when folks talk about the cleaning out a division harrys name is never mentioned even on this awsome forum...so as great as pac is and yes folks hes a top 30 all time great.and we marvel at his accomplishments but in my mind there very very pale to the great harry grebs.so the next time we talk about cleaning out a divison yes think hagler monzon and armstrong but think harry greb first.he ONLY cleaned out three in a era of only 8 divisions.

Back to top Go down

CLEANING OUT A DIVISON Empty Re: CLEANING OUT A DIVISON

Post  NJBeatdown86 Sun May 29, 2011 4:30 pm

Only guy right now who i'd say is cleaning out the divison is Andre Ward.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun May 29, 2011 6:54 pm

NJBeatdown86 wrote:Only guy right now who i'd say is cleaning out the divison is Andre Ward.
Wlad Klit. I would say he really has. I dont count his brother because that fight will never happen and that is understandable.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 29, 2011 7:59 pm

theres a good case for wlad.getting beat a few times is part of boxing but overall a decent case for wlad..ward no.not yet.maybe 4 or 5 fights from now we can say perhaps.again greb in thoses 3 divisions not only beat top guys but several were legit hofamers and some were alg 100 top fighters and several were legit lenial champs not abc nonsence.monzon and hagler both fought quality high end quality.thoses 3 are extremly impressive.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun May 29, 2011 8:13 pm

Current ring ratings:
Ward
Bute-
Froch-
Kessler
Stieglitz
Bika
Glen Johnson
Abraham
Sartison
Oosthuizen

If Ward were to have beaten Bute, Froch(or Johnson), Kessler, Bika, and Abraham (in addition to Miranda and Allan Green), then who should he fight. Glen Johnson if he loses to Froch is probably going back to 175. Stieglitz isn't leaving Germany. Sartison is from Borat land. Oosthuizen is from South Africa.

He could face Pavlik and take that name, but that really would be cleaning out a division under today's terms. If he gets through the super 6, and then Bute, I wouldn't mind him going to 175 to take on those guys. It would make more sense than hanging around at 168 to fight Pavlik, Stieglitz, Sartison, and OOshtuizen (if some of those fights could even be made).
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun May 29, 2011 8:37 pm

dmar5143 wrote:theres a good case for wlad.getting beat a few times is part of boxing but overall a decent case for wlad..ward no.not yet.maybe 4 or 5 fights from now we can say perhaps.again greb in thoses 3 divisions not only beat top guys but several were legit hofamers and some were alg 100 top fighters and several were legit lenial champs not abc nonsence.monzon and hagler both fought quality high end quality.thoses 3 are extremly impressive.
After Wlad beats Haye and his brother beats Adamek. Has he officially cleaned out the division?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun May 29, 2011 9:09 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Current ring ratings:
Ward
Bute-
Froch-
Kessler
Stieglitz
Bika
Glen Johnson
Abraham
Sartison
Oosthuizen

If Ward were to have beaten Bute, Froch(or Johnson), Kessler, Bika, and Abraham (in addition to Miranda and Allan Green), then who should he fight. Glen Johnson if he loses to Froch is probably going back to 175. Stieglitz isn't leaving Germany. Sartison is from Borat land. Oosthuizen is from South Africa.

He could face Pavlik and take that name, but that really would be cleaning out a division under today's terms. If he gets through the super 6, and then Bute, I wouldn't mind him going to 175 to take on those guys. It would make more sense than hanging around at 168 to fight Pavlik, Stieglitz, Sartison, and OOshtuizen (if some of those fights could even be made).
ward hasnt cleaned it out yet but if he beats froch and bute then he cleaned it out pretty darn well since he will have beaten all of the top guys in the division. i would kind of like him to clean it out even more if it were possible. i think that totally cleaning out a division is beating pretty much everyone in the top 10 of the weight class maybe besides a #9 or 10 that slipped in there.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun May 29, 2011 9:09 pm

roberto duran cleaned out lightweight pretty well too.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 29, 2011 9:24 pm

sooner forget vitali ..wlad yes has accomplished cleaning out a divison for sure after haye..a poor awfull division but non the less yep.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon May 30, 2011 12:03 pm

Martínez cleaned out 160 lol
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down