The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Smoger should be punished

+3
Norm1023
captainanddew
GrantZilla
7 posters

Go down

Steve Smoger should be punished Empty Steve Smoger should be punished

Post  Guest Sat May 21, 2011 3:32 pm

Back to top Go down

Steve Smoger should be punished Empty Re: Steve Smoger should be punished

Post  Guest Sat May 21, 2011 3:54 pm

i didnt see the fight but this clip says it all.this is one of the most incompetent few seconds of reffing i have ever seen..even the russian stoped punching looking briefly at the ref figuring hes gonna stop it..the reffs got a mouth and he could of yelled stop if he was out of position which he wasnt..the punch before the last did jones in.put him in a defenseless state.look at the russian droping his arms not attempting to punch and he looked at the ref with a body language saying come on old man move in and stop it.it forced him against his will to throw the final punch.jones was out like a light when he hit the canvas..it took a while smelling salts and all to revive him...
im far from an advacate of premature stopages which is to often today but the proper time was the punch before last..this guys slow reaction and incompetence after not yelling stop needs tro be adressed to prevent him, from reffing again..let him become a judge..his refelexes are gone.stop him from reffing again before he gets a few fighters permently dead or disabled..

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat May 21, 2011 4:45 pm

No win. Smoger get's praise for letting a fight play out. Then he get's this. Then refs get shit for stoppages.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 21, 2011 4:46 pm

GrantZilla wrote:No win. Smoger get's praise for letting a fight play out. Then he get's this. Then refs get shit for stoppages.

Come on Grant, why allow a washed up fighter like Roy to take so many dangerous shots to the head ?

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat May 21, 2011 4:48 pm

GrantZilla wrote:No win. Smoger get's praise for letting a fight play out. Then he get's this. Then refs get shit for stoppages.

a premature stoppage drives fans nuts but it doesn't hurt a fighter physically. Allowing a guy to get hit a few extra times while defenseless is bad. You have to protect the fighters.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Norm1023 Sat May 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Shit happens. Smoger did his job.
Norm1023
Norm1023

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottLevinson Sat May 21, 2011 4:53 pm

dmar5143 wrote:i didnt see the fight but this clip says it all.this is one of the most incompetent few seconds of reffing i have ever seen..even the russian stoped punching looking briefly at the ref figuring hes gonna stop it..the reffs got a mouth and he could of yelled stop if he was out of position which he wasnt..the punch before the last did jones in.put him in a defenseless state.look at the russian droping his arms not attempting to punch and he looked at the ref with a body language saying come on old man move in and stop it.it forced him against his will to throw the final punch.jones was out like a light when he hit the canvas..it took a while smelling salts and all to revive him...
im far from an advacate of premature stopages which is to often today but the proper time was the punch before last..this guys slow reaction and incompetence after not yelling stop needs tro be adressed to prevent him, from reffing again..let him become a judge..his refelexes are gone.stop him from reffing again before he gets a few fighters permently dead or disabled..

dmar, my question is this: If every single person on this forum would have considered the appointment of Smoger as a poor choice to ref this, why didn't any of the actual shotcallers manage to notice? If you asked 1000 fans who would be the worst ref choice for this fight, Smoger woulda won hands down. I couldn't think of a worse choice. They shoulda been lookin for the ref from DOkes-Weaver to ref this. Absurd.

So I guess we know now to not trust the Russian powers-that-be to be able to see the forest for the trees.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottLevinson Sat May 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Grant, that last punch should not have happened. He screwed up. There's a fine line. But let's recognize that line. What exactly was he doing there at the end? Didn't Lebedev even seem thrown by Smoger's weirdness at the end?

I'm all for him letting shit play out. But man, c'mon. You don't pull a Tony Perez freeze move with Roy Jones when he has no chance to win the fight.

Smoger was awful.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Sat May 21, 2011 5:09 pm

Jones being frozen and bent over at the waist should have been enough, but without being able to see Jones eyes and if he was just "ducking" Smoger let it go a second longer than he chould have. Jones is done. He lacks (and always has lacked) the chin to continue fighting. It why Jones would not fight ANYONE early in his career and now that his reflexes are shot, he cant fight ANYONE and survive. TOugh luck Roy. you chose to be a foot-note instead of a great fighter, now you gotta live with it. maybe Mayweather and some of the other modern fighters will learn from your mistakes and misery.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat May 21, 2011 5:28 pm

boxinglawyer wrote: Jones being frozen and bent over at the waist should have been enough, but without being able to see Jones eyes and if he was just "ducking" Smoger let it go a second longer than he chould have. Jones is done. He lacks (and always has lacked) the chin to continue fighting. It why Jones would not fight ANYONE early in his career and now that his reflexes are shot, he cant fight ANYONE and survive. TOugh luck Roy. you chose to be a foot-note instead of a great fighter, now you gotta live with it. maybe Mayweather and some of the other modern fighters will learn from your mistakes and misery.

dougie fisher in his mailbag a few years ago (at maxboxing before he went to Ring), said the exact same thing. Jones, great physical skills, refuses to take risks during his physical prime, only to do so after his reflexes are all gone. Mayweather already wasting his prime years.

Floyd probably doesn't end up like Roy, but he will end up having to fight after he would like to. He blows through money like Tyrone Biggums and crack at a 5 o clock free crack giveaway.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Sun May 22, 2011 6:47 am

Norm1023 wrote:Shit happens. Smoger did his job.

+1

Smoger couldn't see Roy's face so it must have been hard to judge what kind of condition he was in.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Sun May 22, 2011 9:05 am

captainanddew wrote:
boxinglawyer wrote: Jones being frozen and bent over at the waist should have been enough, but without being able to see Jones eyes and if he was just "ducking" Smoger let it go a second longer than he chould have. Jones is done. He lacks (and always has lacked) the chin to continue fighting. It why Jones would not fight ANYONE early in his career and now that his reflexes are shot, he cant fight ANYONE and survive. TOugh luck Roy. you chose to be a foot-note instead of a great fighter, now you gotta live with it. maybe Mayweather and some of the other modern fighters will learn from your mistakes and misery.

dougie fisher in his mailbag a few years ago (at maxboxing before he went to Ring), said the exact same thing. Jones, great physical skills, refuses to take risks during his physical prime, only to do so after his reflexes are all gone. Mayweather already wasting his prime years.

Floyd probably doesn't end up like Roy, but he will end up having to fight after he would like to. He blows through money like Tyrone Biggums and crack at a 5 o clock free crack giveaway.

I think Floyd wont care that he never did "all that he could". I seriously think that he will be happy to let the biggest and greatest accomplishments pass him by and just talk about being undefeated. Jones on the other hand, is seriously sorry and seriously troubled by his legacy and the fact that he never did everything or even TRIED to do everything he could have.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sun May 22, 2011 1:57 pm

I agree with the OP. Smoger just stood there while Jones was clearly out on his feet. It's not even close. He allowed Roy to take unnecessary punishment. Also, he just let him fall on his face. (I know I'll get shit for that comment). He should have pulled Lebedev away & saved Roy. It's not like he reffed a bad fight like some guys, but his actions, or lack of, could have gotten Jones killed. I'd punish him.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down