The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FIGHTERS WITH ALL HEART AND NO TALENT

4 posters

Go down

FIGHTERS WITH ALL HEART AND NO TALENT Empty FIGHTERS WITH ALL HEART AND NO TALENT

Post  Guest Sat May 21, 2011 8:43 am

boxing threw the years have had fighters known to the public as well as the boxing community for there courage and heart but litterly had no talent.some were even popular or likeable.willi besmanoff comes to mind as the ultimate guy with these triats.willi was on the wensday or friday night fights several times and somehow for a brief time even managed to be ranked in the top ten HWS by ring mag.willi gave 100 percent every time moved foward in the ring dispite having no talent but tons of heart and courage..he fought the whos who in the middle to late 50s.eddie machen archie moore sonny liston bob foster willie pastrano zora foley chuvalo 3 or 4 times and muhamad ali.willie fought at least 10 HWS that were considered on the rise of prospects ready to break threw.pat mcmurtry tom mcnelley alex miteff dave the animal zynewitz etc etc he even beat 2 top ten heavies in extra slow but powerfull punching mike dejohn and the very slow bob baker.
it wasnt for the money like tim bradley nor the lack of confidence like tim bradley willie fought because he was a fighter..he viewd it as his calling.hes the ultimate in fighters that had no talent but world class heart and courage..who comes to mind in your thoughts.

Back to top Go down

FIGHTERS WITH ALL HEART AND NO TALENT Empty Re: FIGHTERS WITH ALL HEART AND NO TALENT

Post  ScottLevinson Sat May 21, 2011 12:26 pm

Interesting piece about Besmanoff. I learned something.

A few more recent entries into the high courage/low talent sect might be Jeff Harding, Jesse James Hughes.
I like those kinda guys.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

FIGHTERS WITH ALL HEART AND NO TALENT Empty Re: FIGHTERS WITH ALL HEART AND NO TALENT

Post  Frank Sat May 21, 2011 12:49 pm

Gotta love "Randall Tex Cobb."

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Frank wrote:Gotta love "Randall Tex Cobb."
..yep tex cobb comes to mind also.great heart and a extremly likeable folksee personality..i love tex interview after the holmes fight saying if the fight was 7 or 8 rounds longer he would of koed larry..the announcer was stunned and ask why he thought that..cobb smiling said because larry would of colapsed from exhaustion from hiting me..even holmes laughed at loud at that one.

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Sat May 21, 2011 10:30 pm

ScottLevinson wrote:Interesting piece about Besmanoff. I learned something.

A few more recent entries into the high courage/low talent sect might be Jeff Harding, Jesse James Hughes.
I like those kinda guys.

Jeff Harding is a GREAT example. I loved that guy.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat May 21, 2011 10:47 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
Frank wrote:Gotta love "Randall Tex Cobb."
..yep tex cobb comes to mind also.great heart and a extremly likeable folksee personality..i love tex interview after the holmes fight saying if the fight was 7 or 8 rounds longer he would of koed larry..the announcer was stunned and ask why he thought that..cobb smiling said because larry would of colapsed from exhaustion from hiting me..even holmes laughed at loud at that one.

Tex Cobb. Love him. Fun performances in some movies of my youth.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down