The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where does "Freddie Roach" rank?

4 posters

Go down

Where does "Freddie Roach" rank?  Empty Where does "Freddie Roach" rank?

Post  Frank Fri May 20, 2011 7:56 am

I liked the thread on Nazim Richardson and I'm curious as to what the board thinks about Freddie Roach.

I'm extremely impressed with the job he's done with Manny Paquiao. These days, I rarely see a fighter improve. A good example would be "Andre Berto." So much talent, however has no idea what to do with it. Roach taught Pac to attack from different angles, work as a ring general boxer/puncher, etc. I also think it may be unfair to compare him to legends like Ray Arcel simply because there are not as many fighters or fights today as there were in Arcel's time. However, back in the day, Blackburn made "Joe Louis" his number one project and is considered an ATG trainer based on that. Can the same thing be said about Freddie and Pacquiao?

Frank

Back to top Go down

Where does "Freddie Roach" rank?  Empty Re: Where does "Freddie Roach" rank?

Post  Soonermark890 Fri May 20, 2011 8:45 am

Yes I think he is one of the best trainers today and is a HOF worthy trainer. Lets not forget the job he has done with Khan as well. The guy truly is a great trainer too bad that there are not more like him.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 20, 2011 8:53 am

there are some very good trainers today that i like..i like for example what that garcia kids doing with his fighters.yes in arcels time there were more fighters but also in numbers several great trainers also.i dont think you establish greatness with just one fighter.example kevin rooney and tyson.most trainers like blackborn rooney etc handle several fighters.blackborn for example trained several fighters but never got that big champ untill louis.the same with goldman untill he got marciano.the differnce between thoses 2 and rooney is the completeness of the fighters that they had.they took on fighters with a level of skills for example that were mediocre and upgraded there skills a great deal plus taught them to execute new skills that they never had before..the result is a much improved fighter.the final product of goldman and blackborn for example resulted truly in perfection ..that was done over a relative short time.that was marciano and louis.
roach has not done that.hes had pac 10 years and only in pacs last 2 years or so the complete packaged arrived..hes got kahn a fighter with fluid talent and speed yet kahn in his last fight increased some of his old bad habits.theres the key of a all time great trainer and roach whos todays best.that just didnt happen with goldman arcels clancys and goolman fighters.bad habits were corrected and gone.
about a month ago i watched emile griffith in his 17 th pro fight take on a young 24 year old vet with 70 plus fights in gasper ortega..ortega was a top ten fighter for a decade before and after the griffith fight.how griffith fought and what he did tech wise etc etc was a thing of beauty.he was a complete well schooled fighter in every way..kahn still has major flaws..
its hard for me to explain but the great trainers took on fighters at times that litterly had nothing compared to great natural talent and turned them into a competitive decent fighter..no champs but fighters to respect.thats the greatness of goldman and blackborn for example.
roach is a great trainer by todays standards.all time lets say he can reach a level of near great.the guy understands conditioning straetgy developes a excellent fight plan with alternatives and his fighters for the most part execute it..hes one of the 2 or 3 best today.no doubt.hes not overated either.of all time hes in level 2 or tier 2.a near great will be his category after all is said and done.thats pretty dam good.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri May 20, 2011 12:00 pm

The best of this era!! WOOOO

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 20, 2011 12:07 pm

Behind...

Where does "Freddie Roach" rank?  HopkinscalzaghePA_450x300

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri May 20, 2011 12:11 pm

Ali wrote:Behind...

Where does "Freddie Roach" rank?  HopkinscalzaghePA_450x300

Enzo is a pimp

Check out his FB page
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Fri May 20, 2011 1:26 pm

He's the best right now. He has the respect of top level fighters, knows the fight game well and teaches guys how to fight better. His top guys look much more polished after working with him and show more offensive variety and control.

The thing that makes him unquestionably the best though is how he runs his gym. He gets top talent training with top talent. Working together, sparring, watching each other. That type of atmosphere makes guys hungry and keeps them honest.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri May 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Gumby wrote:He's the best right now. He has the respect of top level fighters, knows the fight game well and teaches guys how to fight better. His top guys look much more polished after working with him and show more offensive variety and control.

The thing that makes him unquestionably the best though is how he runs his gym. He gets top talent training with top talent. Working together, sparring, watching each other. That type of atmosphere makes guys hungry and keeps them honest.
Agreed. I think he'll have a host of champs coming out of his gym.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri May 20, 2011 1:31 pm

I mean he's turning Chumpez Jr into a so so fighter lol
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down