The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arum says boxing will be on network TV this year

+4
SlickMoney
UBeeg9cats
gomez1012
GrantZilla
8 posters

Go down

Arum says boxing will be on network TV this year Empty Arum says boxing will be on network TV this year

Post  GrantZilla Sun May 15, 2011 6:30 pm

Arum said he thinks boxing could return to prime-time network television on CBS this year. But if it happens, it will probably be without Pacquiao because he might be too expensive.

"Manny makes between $20 million to $30 million a fight," Arum said. "How are you going to leave that kind of money on the table to fight on free TV?

"I'm not ruling it out completely. But I don't know that you could make it work (economically)."

If not Pacquiao, Arum said, former world middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik might be a candidate for a CBS bout.

Pavlik, 29, has a compelling life story, as he has battled alcoholism. Arum said he thinks there are enough worthy super middleweight opponents for Pavlik to create a good TV matchup.

"Lucien Bute is a possibility," Arum said. "Andre Ward. Carl Froch. There are lots of good fights for Kelly."

While Pavlik is a good story, it's debatable whether he could draw enough viewers to make the investment worthwhile for CBS or any other network.

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/pacquiao-draws-career-best-ppv-numbers-121851244.html
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Arum says boxing will be on network TV this year Empty Re: Arum says boxing will be on network TV this year

Post  gomez1012 Sun May 15, 2011 6:40 pm

The Bobfather FTW cheers
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Arum says boxing will be on network TV this year Empty Re: Arum says boxing will be on network TV this year

Post  Guest Sun May 15, 2011 6:42 pm

Richard Schaeffer FTW

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun May 15, 2011 6:50 pm

Pavlik-Bute would be a great afternoon fight. Put it on right after a big college football game on CBS. Show some clips of Pavlik's backstory. People would eat that s hit up.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun May 15, 2011 7:20 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Pavlik-Bute would be a great afternoon fight. Put it on right after a big college football game on CBS. Show some clips of Pavlik's backstory. People would eat that s hit up.

Unfortunately, Pavlik would be wiped out in that fight. That could build Bute up to make the Bute-S6 winner into a true superfight.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Sun May 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Arum said this before didnt he?

He can easily do it.
Pick 2 fights and do it.

Cotto-Cintron
Clottey-Martirosyan
Rios-Soto
Pavlik-????

Put up or shut up Bob.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun May 15, 2011 11:28 pm

SlickMoney wrote:Arum said this before didnt he?

He can easily do it.
Pick 2 fights and do it.

Cotto-Cintron
Clottey-Martirosyan
Rios-Soto
Pavlik-????

Put up or shut up Bob.

If Bob had any desire to help the sport, Cotto-Cintron would be a premier choice for the network avenue. Cotto demands more money so Bob wouldn't do it. Cotto vs Cintron would have Rican pride on full display, would be for a lineal title, and would be an excellent action fight unless Cintron decides to bail on the fight by leapfrogging out of the ring. Put Rios vs Alvarado as the undercard fight and that will attract some people.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon May 16, 2011 12:08 am

SlickMoney wrote:Arum said this before didnt he?

He can easily do it.
Pick 2 fights and do it.

Cotto-Cintron
Clottey-Martirosyan
Rios-Soto
Pavlik-????

Put up or shut up Bob.

Problem is, network TV not interested in boxing because boxing since they took the premium channel money and went there, shut out sponsors. Lack of sponsor interest is why boxing is not on network TV.

And yeah, fighters that got any kind of name value demand too much money. Cotto would demand atleast 2 million. Cintron atleast a million. No way CBS or any network would pay that with no gurantee of what kind of ratings the fight would bring.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon May 16, 2011 12:09 am

if he does this then i wont hate on him anymore. i would love nothing more than for some big fights to be on national television.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon May 16, 2011 5:59 am

Too bad Pac is such a greedy fuck. He should take a fucking pay cut and give back to fans by fighting on CBS. Especially after the Mosley fight.

The JMM fight is going to take a hit. It will be a tough sell to casual fans after they got suckered in to pay for the Mosley fight
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 16, 2011 8:29 am

Jorge Arce needs to be on network tv.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon May 16, 2011 11:40 am

Ali wrote:Jorge Arce needs to be on network tv.

+1

The dude is a star in Mexico

Pavlik vs Brian McGee & Vic vs Arce II on CBS
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Mon May 16, 2011 12:12 pm

I knew he said it before. He's been saying this for years. He might've been trying to get the networks involved in hyping up Pacquiao-Hatton but he's been all premium networks for his big fights. Only reason he went to Showtime was cuz of his ego and feelings being hurt by HBO.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2009/01/Issue-75/Sports-Media/Arum-Hopes-To-Get-Network-TV-Exposure-For-Pacquiao-Hatton-Bout.aspx
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Mon May 16, 2011 12:34 pm

One way or another boxing needs to get back on national TV. I'm not sure Pavlik is the best guy to put that on, but he's got the backstory (and the skin tone) to be marketable.

You've gotta have some real action fighters, "TV fighters", to attract new fans. And the match making is key. Cotto v. Cintron might do it.

Hope it actually happens, especially after the debacle last Saturday.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon May 16, 2011 1:52 pm

SlickMoney wrote:I knew he said it before. He's been saying this for years. He might've been trying to get the networks involved in hyping up Pacquiao-Hatton but he's been all premium networks for his big fights. Only reason he went to Showtime was cuz of his ego and feelings being hurt by HBO.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2009/01/Issue-75/Sports-Media/Arum-Hopes-To-Get-Network-TV-Exposure-For-Pacquiao-Hatton-Bout.aspx

At least he's trying and now making some progress

Unlike those morons at GBP. Who's ready for Morales vs Khan on PPV? Laughing
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Mon May 16, 2011 2:30 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:I knew he said it before. He's been saying this for years. He might've been trying to get the networks involved in hyping up Pacquiao-Hatton but he's been all premium networks for his big fights. Only reason he went to Showtime was cuz of his ego and feelings being hurt by HBO.

At least he's trying and now making some progress

Unlike those morons at GBP. Who's ready for Morales vs Khan on PPV? Laughing

He hasnt made any progress. All he did was use CBS to promote Pacquiao-Mosley. He hasnt come close to even putting a fight on a network. I hope he shuts me up but until then, like in most cases, Arum is all caca.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon May 16, 2011 2:53 pm

SlickMoney wrote:
He hasnt made any progress. All he did was use CBS to promote Pacquiao-Mosley. He hasnt come close to even putting a fight on a network. I hope he shuts me up but until then, like in most cases, Arum is all caca.

Got to start somewhere
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon May 16, 2011 5:21 pm

arum is rich enough that he should care about boxing rather than money. he could easily get fighters to fight on national TV. i agree that maybe pac wouldnt but there would be a ton of solid fighters that would want the recognition. then hopefully the fighters will start getting paid less and we use HBO less for fights so that fighters stop demanding so much money.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottLevinson Mon May 16, 2011 5:31 pm

I'll give Arum this. He knows how to take care of press.

A lot of promoters don't even put you ringside. The media room has no grub. You get the run-around.

But Bob puts out nice spreads. He puts out a classy buffet-style layout. There was chicken marsala, I mean really good stuff, with big carts of drinks and stuff.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon May 16, 2011 7:14 pm

powerpuncher wrote:arum is rich enough that he should care about boxing rather than money. he could easily get fighters to fight on national TV. i agree that maybe pac wouldnt but there would be a ton of solid fighters that would want the recognition. then hopefully the fighters will start getting paid less and we use HBO less for fights so that fighters stop demanding so much money.

how about a Brandon Rios. Action guys like him. Those are the guys to put on national tv. Let random sports fans see some guy getting hit in the face (like Rios) only to walk a guy down and destroy him. That is what the average sports fan wants to see.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon May 16, 2011 7:16 pm

ScottLevinson wrote:I'll give Arum this. He knows how to take care of press.

A lot of promoters don't even put you ringside. The media room has no grub. You get the run-around.

But Bob puts out nice spreads. He puts out a classy buffet-style layout. There was chicken marsala, I mean really good stuff, with big carts of drinks and stuff.

scottie-don't be fooled. The Bobfather is pure evil. You know how I know? I'm a lawyer. We are all fucking evil (though I'd argue I'm less so than most others). Arum may not have practiced law in a long time, but once a lawyer, always a lawyer.

What is 20,000 lawyers at the bottom of the sea? The punchline is: A Good Start. Fuck no. It doesn't even scratch the surface.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon May 16, 2011 10:38 pm

captainanddew wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:arum is rich enough that he should care about boxing rather than money. he could easily get fighters to fight on national TV. i agree that maybe pac wouldnt but there would be a ton of solid fighters that would want the recognition. then hopefully the fighters will start getting paid less and we use HBO less for fights so that fighters stop demanding so much money.

how about a Brandon Rios. Action guys like him. Those are the guys to put on national tv. Let random sports fans see some guy getting hit in the face (like Rios) only to walk a guy down and destroy him. That is what the average sports fan wants to see.
true. and i dont think that rios is demanding a ton of money either. there will always be fighters like that who will be willing to fight for whatever just to get recognition. just like arce (who we mentioned before). he would be a great person to fight. we need to also get some young fighters out there who are just turning professional and have potential. thats how main stream names are made. if a good fighter starts on national TV and has a ton of fights on it, then he will eventually become a big sports name.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down