The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antonio Margarito has a detached retina

+5
Frank
Diego408
Gumby
captainanddew
gomez1012
9 posters

Go down

Antonio Margarito has a detached retina Empty Antonio Margarito has a detached retina

Post  Guest Sun May 15, 2011 5:34 pm

It seems the 12-round beating he took at the hands of Manny Pacquiao was far worse than it looked for Antonio Margarito. According to a news piece on fight news.com, “Tony” not only suffered a broken orbital socket in the November 2010 fight, but also a detached retina. One of the most serious injuries any boxer can fall foul of, a detached retina has ended many a great career.

As fans know, the 33-year-old Mexican warrior was looking ahead to a fall meeting with Miguel Cotto, in what would have been a return of the “Tijuana Tornado’s” 2008 stoppage win over the Puerto Rican.. Now, with Margarito’s very career hanging in the balance, the word is Cotto, the reigning WBA 154-pound champion, may face another Mexican in Julio Cesar Chavez Junior instead.

This match-up, one that has been set to go before, is reliant on “The Son Of A Legend” coming out of his June 4th fight with Sebastian Zbik with a win. If Chavez Junior wins this fight, he will likely make his first defence of the “regular” WBC middleweight belt against Cotto; who would be seeking a title in a fourth weight division.

It seems then, as though the career of Chavez Jr. is approaching its most exciting phase yet. On the down side, the career of Margarito may be over. Many fans may have a tough time having any sympathy for Antonio, due to the whole hand-wraps scandal that will forever be attached to his name and legacy, but no fighter deserves a detached retina.

Such an injury does not always spell the end for a fighter; as the legendary “Sugar” Ray Leonard proved in the mid-1980s. Leonard had successful surgery on his eye and was able to continue his career (most famously beating Marvellous Marvin Hagler in 1987). Maybe Margarito will be as fortunate.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=28046&more=1

Back to top Go down

Antonio Margarito has a detached retina Empty Re: Antonio Margarito has a detached retina

Post  gomez1012 Sun May 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Yea this most likely means retirement...
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Antonio Margarito has a detached retina Empty Re: Antonio Margarito has a detached retina

Post  Guest Sun May 15, 2011 5:44 pm

yep or inactive for a long while.either way margos out of the picture.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun May 15, 2011 6:01 pm

Sometimes they say a fighter is a young 30 whatever. He's a young 35. He hasn't been in alot of wars. He stays in shape. He has something left.

Margarito

33 years old
started pro at 16
eats punches with face
got blasted with power shots from Cotto, Cintron, Clottey, and Santos
got destroyed by Shane Mosley's best winging right hands
got beat all to hell by Pac
broken orbital bone
detached retina

Exact opposite of well preserved guy.

He needs to walk away

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun May 15, 2011 8:57 pm

The Antonio Margarito Punishment Tour must continue. I demand an ounce of blood. Sergio, Cintron, Cotto. Then he can rest.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sun May 15, 2011 9:03 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Yea this most likely means retirement...
Hes Mexican, thats not going to stop him lol. Ray and Izzy both came back, the money is too good to just retire to some of these guys. I actually wouldnt mind Cotto vs Chavez and Martinez vs Margarito in the fall with winners facing off early 2012.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun May 15, 2011 9:38 pm

captainanddew wrote:Sometimes they say a fighter is a young 30 whatever. He's a young 35. He hasn't been in alot of wars. He stays in shape. He has something left.

Margarito

33 years old
started pro at 16
eats punches with face
broken orbital bone
detached retina

He needs to walk away

Laughing I'm sorry man. I just had a few drinks of red wine and this post seems funny as hell to me. Antonio is all fucked up. I agree. He needs to let it go.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Sun May 15, 2011 10:57 pm

SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 16, 2011 8:28 am

SlickMoney wrote:

That's what Cotto was singing when he heard this news, Miguel couldn't bear taking a knee again.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon May 16, 2011 11:44 am

That just means Chavez Jr will get the honor to knight Cotto
Antonio Margarito has a detached retina Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMn5FV8bP9NErE4R4dZ3m4jmoFUQb6fvRLMJLfBpz-uUMxDC6MIg
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Mon May 16, 2011 11:56 am

Cotto's been waiting for the rematch but Plasterito always fucks it up.

lol @ Ali for even thinking manos de mierda had a chance vs Pac.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 16, 2011 1:58 pm

SlickMoney wrote:Cotto's been waiting for the rematch but Plasterito always fucks it up.

At least he gave a solid effort against Pac, and didn't retreat after tasting his power.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon May 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Diego408 wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:Yea this most likely means retirement...
Hes Mexican, thats not going to stop him lol. Ray and Izzy both came back, the money is too good to just retire to some of these guys. I actually wouldnt mind Cotto vs Chavez and Martinez vs Margarito in the fall with winners facing off early 2012.

True but Tony has taken some serious beatings in 3 or last 4

Cotto threw everything he had at him, Mosley dropped his blind bombs on him for 9 rds, and Manny shredded his face up for 12 rds

Im doubting a comeback any time soon
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Mon May 16, 2011 2:26 pm

Ali wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:Cotto's been waiting for the rematch but Plasterito always fucks it up.

At least he gave a solid effort against Pac, and didn't go to sleep after tasting his power.

I agree. Poor Ricky.

Antonio Margarito has a detached retina Hatton-unconscious
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Mon May 16, 2011 7:52 pm

AM is finished as a top fighter, if and when he comes back he will probably get a money fight from top rank (especially if Cotto beats JCCjr) but after he takes a boxing lesson from Cotto he will be a gatekeeper until he hangs them up! I would not be surprised if Cintron ask for a AM fight when he is able to fight again!
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon May 16, 2011 8:17 pm

nano212 wrote:AM is finished as a top fighter, if and when he comes back he will probably get a money fight from top rank (especially if Cotto beats JCCjr) but after he takes a boxing lesson from Cotto he will be a gatekeeper until he hangs them up! I would not be surprised if Cintron ask for a AM fight when he is able to fight again!

no shit. Cintron watched the Mosley and then Pac fights and thought, "next time I hit that fucker with my bombs, no way he just walks through them."
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottLevinson Mon May 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Cintron should avoid Margarito at this point. Even him winning will remind everyone of the 2 times he got his ass kicked. Since it's a compromised version of Margarito, it wouldn't even amount to much. It would just showcase Margarito's deterioration more than Cintron's improvement.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon May 16, 2011 9:02 pm

ScottLevinson wrote:Cintron should avoid Margarito at this point. Even him winning will remind everyone of the 2 times he got his ass kicked. Since it's a compromised version of Margarito, it wouldn't even amount to much. It would just showcase Margarito's deterioration more than Cintron's improvement.

if cintron went near Cheato it wouldn't be about anything but revenge.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Mon May 16, 2011 9:52 pm

ScottLevinson wrote:Cintron should avoid Margarito at this point. Even him winning will remind everyone of the 2 times he got his ass kicked. Since it's a compromised version of Margarito, it wouldn't even amount to much. It would just showcase Margarito's deterioration more than Cintron's improvement.
A lot of people would look at it as Cintron vs. a clean Margo. I would probably buy into the "he could only beat me with rocks in his fists" argument if Cintron made it.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Tue May 17, 2011 5:34 am

Gumby wrote:
A lot of people would look at it as Cintron vs. a clean Margo. I would probably buy into the "he could only beat me with rocks in his fists" argument if Cintron made it.

To be fair though it wasn't rocks that made Margo able to shake off Cintron's best shots like they were nothing.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue May 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Frank wrote:
captainanddew wrote:Sometimes they say a fighter is a young 30 whatever. He's a young 35. He hasn't been in alot of wars. He stays in shape. He has something left.

Margarito

33 years old
started pro at 16
eats punches with face
broken orbital bone
detached retina

He needs to walk away

Laughing I'm sorry man. I just had a few drinks of red wine and this post seems funny as hell to me. Antonio is all fucked up. I agree. He needs to let it go.

I wrote the post after a bottle of red wine myself. I must be getting old (at 35); wine is the most fun thing to drink because I have to drink a fuckload of it to wake up with a hangover.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down