The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strikefroce champ Nick Diaz vs Jeff Lacy this fall unless the UFC steps in

+9
Gumby
NJBeatdown86
nano212
UBeeg9cats
gomez1012
hardcorebee24
captainanddew
SlickMoney
GrantZilla
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Strikefroce champ Nick Diaz vs Jeff Lacy this fall unless the UFC steps in Empty Strikefroce champ Nick Diaz vs Jeff Lacy this fall unless the UFC steps in

Post  Guest Fri May 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz and former IBF super-middleweight champion Jeff Lacy have agreements in place to box this fall, representatives for both fighters confirmed Friday.

According to a release issued by promoter Don Chargin, Lacy officially signed on to the bout Friday morning. Diaz's manager, Cesar Gracie, told ESPN.com that the 27-year-old mixed martial artist is "tentatively" set to fight Lacy and has signed papers to that effect.

Unless Zuffa offers UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre a fight during same time period, Diaz will challenge Lacy.

"Nick's [MMA] contract takes precedence," Gracie said. "That's why we're not out there telling everyone what we're going to do. We're trying to work together with the UFC and not against them. And we're trying to do things the right way."

Gracie met with UFC executives on April 25 to discuss their options and came away feeling as if progress had been made.

Dave Sholler, UFC director of communications, told ESPN.com that no official response from the company will be made at this time. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker did not respond to a request for comment.

Diaz's contract with Strikeforce includes a provision that allows him to fight in 2011. UFC president Dana White said last week that he intended have face-to-face discussions with Diaz about his intentions. That meeting is yet to happen, said Gracie.

"So we have to move forward with what we're doing," Gracie said. "Of course, if those guys call and say they secured a date and it's going to conflict with boxing then it might change this whole thing up."

Diaz-Lacy, should it take place, would mark the first time an elite mixed martial arts champion attempted to fight an established boxer in his realm. In 2005, Diaz (25-7 in MMA) earned a unanimous decision victory his lone professional boxing appearance, a four-round bout in Sacrament, Calif.. He is considered among the best pugilists in MMA.

Lacy, a resident of St. Petersburg, Fla. has fallen on hard times as a boxer. The 33-year-old former U.S. Olympian, unbeaten in 21 fights before losing a unanimous decision to Joe Calzaghe in 2006, dropped three of his last four bouts, including an embarrassing decision to journeyman Dhafir Smith in December. Lacy (25-4) also lost on points to Jermain Taylor and Roy Jones Jr.

Last month, amid speculation that Diaz could fight Fernando Vargas or even current middleweight champion Sergio Martinez, Lacy said of the mixed martial artist: "For the right price, I'm more than interested in heading to his turf and put my fist in his mouth and silencing him."

"I expected more resistance from fight fans and media in regards to this matchup but it's amazing as to the hundreds of calls and emails I've received from fans on both sides wanting to see this matchup take place," Chagrin, a Hall of Fame boxing promoter, said in a statement. "I've received more than a few inquiries from some other very high-profile boxers that want to step up and fight Nick. It's been a real whirlwind.

"I believe that if Nick had been one of those kids who had picked up boxing from a youth, he'd undoubtedly be a world-champion today. Sometime within the next two weeks I'll be personally making the trek to Cesar Gracie's gym to setup a private, closed door sparring session between Nick and a few nameless top-level contenders I have in mind."

The fight, titled "Breaking History," includes an agreed-upon venue and a date, Gracie confirmed, though neither have been announced.

Showtime, which broadcasts Diaz's Strikeforce fights, declined to speak about its interest in carrying Diaz-Lacy. Diaz's MMA bouts are not contractually bound to air on Showtime. Gracie previously said HBO is not an option for the fight.

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=6495020

Last edited by Ali on Fri May 06, 2011 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Strikefroce champ Nick Diaz vs Jeff Lacy this fall unless the UFC steps in Empty Re: Strikefroce champ Nick Diaz vs Jeff Lacy this fall unless the UFC steps in

Post  GrantZilla Fri May 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Lacy is totaly shot and slurring his speech. IF Nick seriouse about getting into boxing, why doesn't fight some cans and build his way up, instead hand picking some fighter that shouldn't even be medicaly fit to fight.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Strikefroce champ Nick Diaz vs Jeff Lacy this fall unless the UFC steps in Empty Re: Strikefroce champ Nick Diaz vs Jeff Lacy this fall unless the UFC steps in

Post  SlickMoney Fri May 06, 2011 5:45 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Lacy is totaly shot and slurring his speech. IF Nick seriouse about getting into boxing, why doesn't fight some cans and build his way up, instead hand picking some fighter that shouldn't even be medicaly fit to fight.

I remember you always bringing up Mercer's win over Tim Sylvia like that was suppose to mean something.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri May 06, 2011 5:56 pm

Why not, MMA Tap-Out fans love to bring up Toney losing to Randy as if it means something.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Fri May 06, 2011 5:58 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Why not, MMA Tap-Out fans love to bring up Toney losing to Randy as if it means something.

That was WAY after Sylvia-Mercer
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri May 06, 2011 6:00 pm

And what, you think the "MMA is real fighting" shit wasn't going on before that? Once again, trying desperatly to start shit Slick

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Fri May 06, 2011 6:15 pm

GrantZilla wrote:And what, you think the "MMA is real fighting" shit wasn't going on before that? Once again, trying desperatly to start shit Slick

Once again you're getting sensitive over me bringing up facts. You're the one who is contradicting himself.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri May 06, 2011 6:34 pm

You call that me being sensitive? All you do, and have ever done, is take shit out of context and bring it up as facts.

Tap-Out wearing tools at ESPN always spout off on how MMA is real fighting, ect, ect. BTW, I said Mercer-Sylvia fight was a circus show.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 06, 2011 6:38 pm

lacy geez..boxings fate rides on him..i wish it was brute..hey if jeff does land a good shot first diaz goes out just like all thoses glass jaw 2 n half round mma gased fighters do..

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri May 06, 2011 6:40 pm

If I recall, Lacy isn't even medically clear to fight after his last pathetic performance

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri May 06, 2011 6:41 pm

Lacy lost to Dhafir Smith.
Dhafir Smith is 23-19-7.
And it wasn't even close. The scorecards were 110-118, 111-117, and 112-116.
And the fight was in Lacy's home state of Florida. I'm guessing that the judges probably gave Lacy any round that was close, and he still lost by a wide margin.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri May 06, 2011 6:42 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Lacy is totaly shot and slurring his speech. IF Nick seriouse about getting into boxing, why doesn't fight some cans and build his way up, instead hand picking some fighter that shouldn't even be medicaly fit to fight.

This is exactly what he's doing, Lacy is a can.

You think a club fighter is a better test than a former belt holder? Give me a fucking break.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri May 06, 2011 6:44 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:

You think a club fighter is a better test than a former belt holder? Give me a fucking break.

Lacy got his ass kicked at home by a shitty club fighter. Yes a club fighter who isn't shot would be a better test!!! Read my post.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 06, 2011 6:46 pm

I know alot of you don't care for MMA but Nick is actually one of the few fighters you would enjoy, he's always in fantastic brawls.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri May 06, 2011 6:47 pm

captainanddew wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

Lacy got his ass kicked at home by a shitty club fighter. Yes a club fighter who isn't shot would be a better test!!! Read my post.

Then Nick diaz is doing the right thing according to Grant, right? I'm illiterate to your posts... except for this one.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 06, 2011 6:49 pm

It could just be a ploy by Nick to force Zuffa into giving him the GSP fight.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri May 06, 2011 6:51 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

Then Nick diaz is doing the right thing according to Grant, right? I'm illiterate to your posts... except for this one.

Dhafir Smith is 23-19-7.
And the fight was in Lacy's home state of Florida. I'm guessing that the judges probably gave Lacy any round that was close, and he still lost by a wide margin.

Lacy shouldn't be fighting anyone.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri May 06, 2011 6:52 pm

captainanddew wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

Dhafir Smith is 23-19-7.

Lacy shouldn't be fighting anyone.

This is just all Greek to me.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri May 06, 2011 6:55 pm

Ali wrote:It could just be a ploy by Nick to force Zuffa into giving him the GSP fight.

Could be, Diaz camp wants to get paid. That fight would be the biggest one out there and make him a huge star if he wins
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 06, 2011 7:04 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:It could just be a ploy by Nick to force Zuffa into giving him the GSP fight.

Could be, Diaz camp wants to get paid. That fight would be the biggest one out there and make him a huge star if he wins

The kinda of money Diaz wants in boxing isn't possible unless he'd be willing to take on the big dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Fri May 06, 2011 7:05 pm

This is a good choice for Diaz. Lacy has a pretty good record and is a former champ but he is SHOT. I think this is different from the mercer fight because Diaz is a prime top tier fighter moving over instead of an old shopworn fighter moving for a payday.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri May 06, 2011 7:06 pm

Ali wrote:
The kinda of money Diaz wants in boxing isn't possible unless he'd be willing to take on the big dogs.

Not really, he can make more vs Lacy than he has so far in any MMA fight
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri May 06, 2011 7:08 pm

UBeeg9cats wrote:This is a good choice for Diaz. Lacy has a pretty good record and is a former champ but he is SHOT. I think this is different from the mercer fight because Diaz is a prime top tier fighter moving over instead of an old shopworn fighter moving for a payday.

+1
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 06, 2011 7:10 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:

Ya think so ?

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri May 06, 2011 7:13 pm

Ali wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:

Ya think so ?

Yep
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next