The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture

3 posters

Go down

Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture Empty Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture

Post  gomez1012 Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:13 pm

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=32632

Featherweight Rafael Marquez will be out of action for six months due to the injury he suffered to his right shoulder during Saturday's exciting fight against Puerto Rican southpaw Juan Manuel Lopez, the WBO featherweight. The fight happened at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The injury prevent Marquez from being able to come out for the ninth round. The recovery period will prevent Marquez from fighting Lopez in a possible March rematch.

"The doctor said I have a hairline fracture in the right shoulder blade. He recommended a rest period of 180-days," Marquez said.

Marquez says the referee Tony Weeks saved Lopez from a possible knockout loss in the fourth round. He knew at that point it was going to be a long fight after suffering the injury in the third.

"In that round I could have knocked Lopez out, but the referee did him a favor by giving him about 45 seconds to recover when he penalized him a point for the fouls. I knew at that time it was all or nothing," Marquez said. "Had it not been for the injury in the third round, I think in the ninth or tenth I would have stopped Juanma."
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture Empty Re: Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture

Post  Guest Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:15 pm

What an odd injury. How the heck does THAT happen.

One thing about Raffy, his self confidence never wavers does it?

Back to top Go down

Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture Empty Re: Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture

Post  gomez1012 Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:21 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:What an odd injury. How the heck does THAT happen.

Yep, as soon as JML approached him after the fight was over he was talking rematch

Even Arum had to try and slow him down with the rematch talk
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:22 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:What an odd injury. How the heck does THAT happen.

Yep, as soon as JML approached him after the fight was over he was talking rematch

Even Arum had to try and slow him down with the rematch talk

Sometimes in general I find the machismo thing overdone, but Raffy has a little bit of Roberto Duran's swagger to him. He's a genuinely tough man.

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:23 pm

now we know that his shoulder was actually bothering him and it wasnt just to get out of the fight. like i said before, i wondered why he stopped throwing that right hand. maybe he would have KO'd juanma. who knows.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:58 pm

marble an odd punch could of caused it or a stress fracture in a clinch etc etc...i think raffy should retire or have 1 more fight against someone outside lopez..he wont do either.that i believe.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:38 pm

He said his shoulder had been bothering him going into the fight and given the injury I think that's valid.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:07 am

dmar5143 wrote:marble an odd punch could of caused it or a stress fracture in a clinch etc etc...i think raffy should retire or have 1 more fight against someone outside lopez..he wont do either.that i believe.
i agree. i think that he could still somewhat make some noise in the division but i dont think that his body will hold up enough to be on top again. he has a great legacy already. he has nothing left to prove.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down